Stable build | Latest builds

Started by Audionut, January 11, 2015, 12:51:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Audionut

The very old "stable" build of Magic Lantern has been removed.  That build of Magic Lantern was over two years old and still contained bugs that were missed during testing at the time.

Magic Lantern now works on a rolling release development model.  The nightly builds can be considered somewhat stable.  The features in the nightly build have been well tested, with untested development moved to an branching system for testing before being included in the nightly builds.

Some of the features that have been developed since the "stable" version. Thanks dmilligan

Bars Facelift
Proportional Fonts
Config Presets
Dual ISO
Auto ETTR
ISO Investigation
Screenshots
New memory backend
Raw silent pictures
Full-resolution silent pictures
File Manager
Raw Video
LUA scripting

The latest official builds for all cameras is available here:  http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3072.0

For camera specific discussion, including updated installation instructions, please see this section:  http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?board=34.0

russellsnr

Hi, Thank you for the info but can I make a suggestion (without getting my head shot off :) )
The  latest official builds for all cameras section is now 40 pages long with the first going back to October 2012 would it be possible please for a little clean up ;) in there?
Thanks
Russ

Audionut

40 pages isn't that bad  :P

What information is in that thread, that needs highlighting?

DGB

Hi, have never installed ML yet, now's the time.  Please help me out by clarifying: The current Nightly Build for the EOS-M has "failed," I see.  Went back through the logs for the most recent build that was not labeled "failed," and that was: 2015-04-18 18:08:06 - 0400, change set e08c6c0.  My question is, should that version be all right [all standard caveats aside of course] for me to install, or does the fact that there were more recent builds mean that Canon's firmware or something changed, so that 4-18 build is no longer good?

Much appreciated,

Dave

dfort

The April version is fine. There have been some advances but they have not been QC'd by the main developer.

If you really want the latest, set up a developing environment. Compiling ML isn't really that hard. Look in the developer topics.

DGB

gaetgodi

I read somewhere in the forums that one should delete the ML folder when doing an update. If you do that you will lose the help files which are in ML/doc and not included in the nightly updates.

Walter Schulz

Yes, this is intended. And for all those cams not supported by outdated "stable" build it's default not to have help files.
If you want to get help files back please consider making http://magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11269 work.

axelcine

@ Walter - I have on many, many occasions really enjoyed your dry and totally humoristic wit, and your absolute sincerity when giving good advice. I still wonder what people are doing with the old and certainly (in its time) succesful but as of today totally obsolete v.203 (all honors to the devs), when the recent nightlies are so much more advanced and reflect a profoundly better understanding of how the cams work, than the previous builds.

Working on an updated User Guide is tedious work; I have gathered pix of menus, submenus and settings alternatives from a variety of cams/ML's and I'm trying to put everything together, submenus, articles about ETTR, Dual Iso, HDR etc. to create an up-to-date ML pamflet; after all I'm a journalist. Well - OK - the devs are outgunning me with new features, tricks and ideas. A1ex, Audionut and several others have laid out an extoundingly fine ground work, and I'm absolutely going to abuse their fine work to the extent of being... a bad boy. Keep me in line, DeafEyeJedi, please.
Just to address you, gaetgodi: Do not fret. Get the latest nightly and see ML unfold. Until a booklet is available, the threads in the ML realm are worth gold.

The ML guys are your helpful and patient friends.
EOS RP, 5dIII.113/Batt.grip, 5dIII.123, 700d/Batt.Grip/VF4 viewfinder + a truckload of new and older Canon L, Sigma and Tamron glass

lord_steeve

Hi,

Ok, call me stupid but I could not understand what happen to ML help files. None are coming with Nightly build, there is no stable build any more and I could not find any link to download them ?

Please help me, I can't bear any more the message I get when I try to display help for the DSLR itself:

"
Help files not found
Magic Lantern help files could not be found.
Make sure all ML files are installed to your card.
See http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/install for instructions"

There are no details about this subject on the page !

Thank you very much.

Note: I am using the ML version : Nightly.2016Feb28.700D114

Kurtzva

Hi,

I was wondering if it's possible to request for a newer lightly build for the 5DMKIII 1.2.3? From what I can see, there hasn't been a new nightly since December, 2015.

Our friend Walter has tried explaining it to me, and I am probably misunderstanding him, but am I correct in thinking that nothing specific to the 5D has been added since the December build? If nothing specific to the 5D was added, was there no improvement to overall ML user experience in those later nightlies?

What is the difference between the 1.1.3 nightly that gets pushed daily by bot compared to the latest 1.2.3 version that was manually pushed by A1ex? Am I missing out on much not downgrading to 1.1.3?

Thanks!

dmilligan

The only thing of consequence is Lua scripting.

Kurtzva

Quote from: dmilligan on March 18, 2016, 12:06:11 AM
The only thing of consequence is Lua scripting.

Thanks for the reply! I just Googled "LUA scripting" and found the definition of it, but can you explain it to me in terms of ML? What exactly does it effect each version of ML?

dmilligan

It makes it easy to write your own simple scripts to control the camera and add your own customizations.

Kurtzva

Quote from: dmilligan on March 18, 2016, 12:23:08 AM
It makes it easy to write your own simple scripts to control the camera and add your own customizations.

I see. Thanks for explaining!

Is this the new direction of ML? To focus on LUA scripting? Is there still development for ML main, or am I missing out by not taking advantage of the latest of LUA scripting?

Walter Schulz

Lua was and is a warmly welcomed addition to ML and is (at time of writing) intended to be used by power-users who need some modifications in ML but are unable to modify ML code itself (quite a different task to master). There will be - I'm quite sure - some script repository where other users may find useful scripts.
Most of the work on Lua for ML is done by dmilligan himself.
There were other scripting engines before but they got lost in the past.

Most of the work is done by dmilligan himself.
But "Is this the new direction of ML? To focus on LUA scripting?" is totally misleading/beside the point.

garry23

@Kurtzva

As Walter say, Lua complements ML.

Also as Walter says, Lua is a boon for those of us who wish to extend ML functionality, but are unable to get into ML coding and compiling.

There is a scripting repository, but it doesn't seem to be used that much at the moment. However, I have put a few scripts in the repository and you are welcome to look at my humble attempts at Lua: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?board=53.0

I have also written about my Lua experiments on my personal blog: http://photography.grayheron.net/

Kurtzva

Quote from: garry23 on March 18, 2016, 07:44:08 AM
@Kurtzva

As Walter say, Lua complements ML.

Also as Walter says, Lua is a boon for those of us who wish to extend ML functionality, but are unable to get into ML coding and compiling.

There is a scripting repository, but it doesn't seem to be used that much at the moment. However, I have put a few scripts in the repository and you are welcome to look at my humble attempts at Lua: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?board=53.0

I have also written about my Lua experiments on my personal blog: http://photography.grayheron.net/
Quote from: Walter Schulz on March 18, 2016, 07:33:58 AM
Lua was and is a warmly welcomed addition to ML and is (at time of writing) intended to be used by power-users who need some modifications in ML but are unable to modify ML code itself (quite a different task to master). There will be - I'm quite sure - some script repository where other users may find useful scripts.
Most of the work on Lua for ML is done by dmilligan himself.
There were other scripting engines before but they got lost in the past.

Most of the work is done by dmilligan himself.
But "Is this the new direction of ML? To focus on LUA scripting?" is totally misleading/beside the point.

Ahhhh. Got it got it!! That makes perfect sense. Lots of other ML puzzle pieces in my head just fell into place. Thanks y'all!

laughingbuddha

6d running nightly build fw 1.1.6 + ML

I have a Battery Grip (generic non canon brand) that worked perfectly fine (6x Enloop Pro) until ML was installed the camera turns on fine after opening live view using the camera seems that the battery icon shows no power requiring the battery grip is removed for about 5 mins same again ?

Any ideas why ??

laughingbuddha

Nobody got a clue about my above post ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

budafilms

Magic Lantern preview at 17/11  for 5D3, h264 problem
When I press AUTO WB, ISO values are freeze. So, I can't change with nothing: shutter, joystick, etc.
Y take off the batery.
When I put  again, everything it's fine. So i repeat de process. And receive the same sokution.

mixture

I'm new to this forum and need to know if my Canon Rebel T1i with firmware version 1.1.2 can work with the latest Magic Lantern for version 1.1.1?

Walter Schulz

Answered in install instructions. Top of page -> Downloads -> Download Nightly Builds -> 500D / Rebel T1i 1.1.1 ->  Installation

BigO

Hi Everyone,

I am new to ML and wondering which build to use. When I go to the Main Builds section on the site it says "These builds have been around for some time, and they are unlikely to cause major issues." However when I click on the camera model it takes me to a build that is only one month old and listed as a nightly build. Are these one month old builds considered to have have been around for some time and unlikely to cause any major issues? So can these be trusted even though they are only 1 month old?

Any help is appreciated, many thanks.  :)

Gkos

Hello I am also new to Magic Lantern and it's great features. I've installed ML on a 5d mark II and I am impressed. I would like to istall it also in my 6d but if some tests from the latest build are failed that means that I should wait to be fixed first?