[DONE] HDR Video at 200/400, 400/1600, etc

Started by Leon, July 07, 2012, 07:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

All the HDR video options start with ISO 100; how about allowing setting both ISO values, to allow 400/1600, etc?  Useful for low-light HDR.

Ta.

KarateBrot

what do you mean? this is already possible. just modify the iso values in the menu :o
If you donate a RED EPIC to me you officially are very cool ;)

1%

Leon

Aha!  Right, so to do 400/1600 I have to set the ISO to 800, then adjust the HDR setting.  I was trying with ISO set to Auto.  For some reason Auto is interpreted as ISO 100 for HDR mode.  This wasn't obvious to me at all.  Thanks.

Is there a reason why Auto ISO desn't work / isn't allowed for HDR video?

PS - pressing [Q] on the 550D doesn't give me a menu, it just sets HDR as "Off".  Set and play let me go up and down the EV list, but now I realise I have to set ISO to a specific/manual setting on a separate screen.

Francis

No to change the ISO you should go under the ML Video menu to the HDR video option and press 'Q' which will bring up a submenu where you can choose the 2 ISO values to alternate between.

KarateBrot

seriously if you want to use magic lantern never use the "auto" function. set it so "manual" and set all functions to your liking at it works like a charm =)
If you donate a RED EPIC to me you officially are very cool ;)

raymondlo84

You shall also turn off the auto white balancing (AWB) and use a mute color profile (or Picture Style) to avoid clipping. 

Also, I usually over exposure it slightly because the HDR algorithms are usually sensitive to shadow noise.

Leon

Thanks for the advice.  What picture style setting would you recommend for HDR video (and do I drop contrast down to zero?).  Do highlight tone priority (probably unnecessary and may add noise) and auto-lighting optimiser matter?  Is it sensible to use 100/1600 or is that too extreme?  Is there a good page that advises/guides on this?  The ML wiki link is dead:  http://vimeo.com/groups/magiclantern/forumthread:250295

I donated a few weeks ago, but didn't get a link to the workflow and scripts...

@Francis : there is no submenu under HDR video on the 550D, and I just checked this on a friend's 600D, with a different memory card.  I'm using MagicLantern 2011Dec22 release; perhaps this has been added in test builds?  As I said before, and have just checked, pressing "Q" button when the "HDR Video" line is selected/highlighted always changes it to read "Off".  If I press Set or Play I can go up or down various options, but the only way to change the lower ISO value is to set the ISO manually elsewhere, and then the options given seem to try to obtain an average of the set ISO; eg setting ISO 400 gives me the options:  OFF, 400/800, 200/800, 200/1600, 100/1600, 100/3200.

Thanks!

a1ex

CM360

Hey everyone,

Quick question about HDR Video processing.

Have you looked into using the SNS-HDR program in place of enfuse during the interframe script? http://www.sns-hdr.pl/ It can be command line driven and does a phenomenal job with correcting light halo by masking. I cant program to try it out by changing the script. The lite version is a drag and drop command line freeware but only takes one bracket set at a time. I use the pro version for my still and its awesome and can run batch processes.

Thanks

bart

Maybe you can add it here?
http://www.magiclantern.fm/download

Menu on the right has 3rd party software.
You can add it to the wiki. Login enables registration.