Advantages of 5D3 over 5D2 for ML Raw Video ?

Started by NitromanX, January 08, 2015, 07:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NitromanX

Hi !

I'm loving ML raw video and appeciate all the development being put in ... so thanks. :)

I'm currently using an old Canon 5D2 but am thinking about upgrading to a Canon 5D3. Can you answer these questions :

1 ) I understand the 5D3 records full HD with ML - but is this continuous on a fast card ?

2 ) Playback on the 5D2 is obviously a bit jittery and has skipped frames. Is playback smooth on the 5D3 due to faster processor etc ?

3 ) Does 5D3 playback also have sound or is this a possible development for future (sorry to ask !  :P) ?

4 ) I have heard rumours that there is a newer 5D3 firmware ? i'm guessing this doesn't work with the ML Nightly Builds atm, so can i install older firmware on a new 5D3 if it ships with updated firmware ?

5 ) Is the raw video on 5D3 generally that much better than my 5D2 is currently using ?

All advice and input would be much appreciated !

Thanks in advance ... ;)

Walter Schulz

1) Yes
2) No
3) ?
4) Downgrade possible with EOS Utility
5) Yes

Kharak

agree 100% with Walter

playback on MK iii might not be real time, but significantly better than on MK II

once you go raw you never go back

DeafEyeJedi

Agreed w @Walter Schulz regarding 5D3 over 5D2 and its factors.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

NitromanX

Wow ... thanks to you all for such fast response !

Think I'll need to raid the piggy bank ;)

Walter Schulz

Maybe another option: Stuffing piggy a little longer and go for Axiom Gamma.  8)

jose_ugs

The Axiom will be a thing of beauty, but he might need a bigger piggy or a bank loan: external monitor/recorder is already a few hundred + the body which will not be cheap...
I'm thinking 5DMIII's soon will be hit by a price drop due to Sony's, Samsung's and GH's... so unless you go for a all-new body, second hand M3's will be cheap very very soon. Think fast who u wanna sell your MII to ;)

NitromanX

Thanks again guys ... But need to keep costs down and weight.

Looks like there may be a new Canon 5D in the offing soon ... According to Canon Rumours ;)

http://www.canonrumors.com/2015/01/eos-5d-mark-iii-replacement-talk-cr2/

Maybe then the 5D3's will be half price ! lol

If the rumour is true (it's CR2 so apparently quite reliable source), is it likely to be 4k or perhaps the perfect camera for ML raw video. Who knows ... but I'd love 53mp for my stills. ;)

walter_schulz

Just to play devil's advocate: 5D2 was good enough to be used for some bigger shots. House "Help Me" (S06E22) and others:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EOS_5D_Mark_II#Independent_film_and_television

Levas

5D mark II does vertical lineskipping -> moire
5D mark III does vertical pixelbinning -> no moire, or much less at least (and probably less noise)

That's about the biggest difference in video between the two cameras

NitromanX

Ha ! And Hawaii Five-0 is currently shot with Canon 5D2. Love that program and wondered what they shot it with.

What an amazing camera ... :D

Kharak

It's simple. Mk III does everything much better than Mk II. No discussion
once you go raw you never go back

jose_ugs

We'll just have to wait and see what 5Ds will be all about, but it'll not be a cheap one!
So back to your topic: 5D2 still being used out there for what it's worth, but for me personally... higher FPS was the main difference.
So it's up 2 what you do or want to do with it...