DNG Preview's not showing in 10.10.1 OS X (Yosemite)

Started by DeafEyeJedi, January 05, 2015, 09:38:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeafEyeJedi

I was hoping I didn't need to post this after weeks of trying to overcome this annoying issue I'm currently facing on my newly custom-built Mac Mini that I just got few weeks ago.

Currently running OS X 10.10.1 on my 2006 MBP and DNG's preview works fine after hitting space bar through the files.

But NOT on the Mac Mini (even with the latest Adobe DNG converter 8.7.1) so I've tried downgrading and still no avail solution for this...

I know I can preview through ACR, LR5, etc... but if I need a quick preview going through files (after pressing space bar - pops up black screen) then how come I can't do it this way?

Thoughts?

5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

DeafEyeJedi

43 reads and yet no responds?

I wonder if this is common for current Yosemite users?

Hmmm...

baldavenger

How are you deriving your DNGs?  The recent update to MLVF should ensure that DNGs derived from MLV files should preview without issue.  Still, best to consult more knowledgeable folk than me.
EOS 5D Mark III | EOS 600D | Canon 24-105mm f4L | Canon 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Canon 50mm f1.4 | Samyang 14mm T3.1 | Opteka 8mm f3.5

DeafEyeJedi

Either MLRV and/or MLVFS...

I just don't get it why it worked fine in Mavericks but not in Yosemite?

Levas

Same here, but got already used to it with using mlv2dng, which spits out normal DNG's.
I could always see a thumbnail preview of CDNG's in maverick, but normal DNG's didn't have a preview.
And now in Yosemite I can see that it won't even show a preview of my CDNG's.

Just learn to live with it... :-\

I believe the CDNG's had a small jpg/tiff preview baked into the file...and the normal DNG's not.
That's why the CDNG's had a preview, in Maverick at least  :P

dmilligan

Quote from: Levas on January 06, 2015, 11:17:21 AM
I believe the CDNG's had a small jpg/tiff preview baked into the file...and the normal DNG's not.
That's why the CDNG's had a preview, in Maverick at least  :P
Actually it's the opposite that's true. CDNGs do not have any preview sub-image at all, only one main image IFD is allowed. The regular DNGs do have a preview sub-image.

DNG previews work fine for me in Yosemite even within the MLVFS mount.

Levas

Quote: "Actually it's the opposite that's true. CDNGs do not have any preview sub-image at all, only one main image IFD is allowed. The regular DNGs do have a preview sub-image."
Ooops...I was wrong :o

And now you're mentioning MLVF...Yes it does show previews in finder in Yosemite  :D

I happen to use mlv_dump.osx over here (not mlv2dng what I said earlier in this post  :P )
I'd rather archive DNG's rather then MLV files (MLV is more convenient with MLVF, but the DNG format will probably be supported  for decades from know  8))

The DNG's mlv_dump.osx spits out are 14 bit, not 16 bit in size like the MLVF folder shows. Maybe OSX is only wiling to show previews of 16 bit DNG's and not the 14bit ones.

Frank7D

"...the DNG format will probably be supported  for decades from know"

Yeah, but if MLV ever goes obsolete, you can just convert them to DNGs at that point, so why waste time doing it now?

Levas

Just a safe choice I guess  ::)
Not the fastest most convenient workflow as MLV in combination with MLVF, but I know for sure I can access my files for decades...

Rather have my files converted now, as converting them all at once in the future would take a lot of time and folder managing  :P

DeafEyeJedi

Interesting -- thanks everyone for your correspondents and will confirm once I can regarding the previews of (C)DNG's from within MLVFS...

Is that the only converter that works well for Yosemite besides mlv2dng & MLVFS?

DeafEyeJedi

I've confirmed that @dmilligan's MLVFS does show previews of DNG's straight out of the box in Yosemite OS X... which is nice but I could swear that this was never an issue in Mavericks OS X when I could just basically open the DNG files from ANYWHERE and yet still be reviewable within the push of spacebar (or in Previews)...

MLVFS:

Regular DNG's (pre-converted):

I guess I'll just have to get used to using MLVFS (or waste more time using the Adobe DNG converter) and it's rather quite frustrating not being able to use the 'time saving routine' of checking through Previews easily before converting them.

Only because I'm such a wiener, so I apologize for that.