Too many Lilliputs or whats the best Lilliput monitor for my 5D3 today?

Started by rawvideo, January 03, 2015, 11:40:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rawvideo

I'm looking for an external monitor for my steadicam rig. And yes I am cheap, so I have my eye on those Lilliput monitors. But there are just so many types.

Whats the newest most useful model?

I really like the focus peaking option, that could save some CPU resources if ML doesnt have to do it. Unless the focus peaking of the monitor is inferior, than my 5D has to keep doing it.

Do I need 1080p (do they even come with 1080p, they are cheap after all?). Of course the more pixels the more accurate the focus peaking. But maybe less is already enough and saves some battery time?

Those monitors seem to come with different battery adapters. So what battery type keeps it running the longest. I probably won't give it the batteries from my camera because, well they go into the camera. But if I decide on different battery of course I would need an additional charger.

Some help to bring light into the confusing Lilliput model lineup would be great.

pv25pv

The 663/O/P2 is their best monitor atm..its a bit heavy for shoe mount (metal case)but its high res. 1280x800 with good brightness and all the monitoring goodies...i prefer the 5D-ii/O/P coz its very light and has fixed barndoors which cover the screen..res. is 1024x600 but for me its enough.
5Dmk3
24-105mm f/4L _ 16-35mm f/2.8L II _ 50mm f/1.4 _ TS-E 90mm f/2.8 _ Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX

rawvideo

Can you really focus better with that thing? What about the focus peaking? As good as the internal one of ML?

And how does it affect ML if an external HDMI monitor is connected? Does it save some resources if I turn off the internal monitor? Probably doesn't matter because it still has to compute the image for the external one. But it could keep the temperature down I guess.

pv25pv

Yes you can focus perfectly...focus peaking is ok too ,so u have MLs turned off for slightly better performance maybe.
For its price this is a very good monitor
5Dmk3
24-105mm f/4L _ 16-35mm f/2.8L II _ 50mm f/1.4 _ TS-E 90mm f/2.8 _ Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX

rawvideo

The 664 looks good too, 365g in weight. It might have a little more modern display with better viewing angles I suppose.

DeafEyeJedi

Just checked out the 664/0/p 7" and damn I'm pretty impressed.

May be worth the $$... Perhaps I'll just save up while waiting on the update for DSLRcontroller for iOS 8 (since it's only supported on iOS 7 atm)

5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109