5D MIII Installation Problem

Started by Airbear112, January 02, 2015, 11:01:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Airbear112

I have a 5D Mark III camera with 1.2.3 firmware and am trying to get Magic Lantern installed. I am trying to use a 54GB Extreme Sandisk SD card. When I put the Magic Lantern files onto the card and try to run the update it goes to a loading screen then turns black (with the LED light blinking red once) the camera is then frozen until I remove the battery and turn it back on. I ran Macboot to make the card bootable but the same issue occurred. I have retried all the different steps (formatting the card, trying different installation steps) and the same problem keeps happening. I was wondering if anybody knew how to solve the issue.

Thanks

walter_schulz

http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/install
Troubleshooting section, please.

BTW: You know about 5D3's rather slow SDcard interface? It's limited to about 21 MByte/s. SD in 5D3 is used by most people just to startup ML. Recording to CF-card runs about 5 times faster. If card is fast enough.
A startup SD-card will do just fine with 4 MByte free (Yes, it is M as in mega). And slow cards will do, too.

Airbear112

I am aware of this. I have multiple CF cards for recording. I am just using the SD card to carry the ML firmware.

Airbear112

Nothing on the troubleshooting page has solved the problem. I have tried all other steps to fix.

tron

Did you format the card in camera and then copy the ML files from the PC to the SD card?

At least this is what I have done in both of my 5D3s and I had no issue...

walter_schulz

He cannot format the card in cam because cam will get stuck with this card.

Format the card using a card reader.
Download latest nightly contents.
Extract contents and copy them to card's root: Autoexec.bin + FIR + ML directory.
Insert card into cam and run firmware update.

tron

It was a question not a suggestion! I should have clarified it though because I admit it does not help.

Airbear112