THE LAST BLACKSMITH - short documentation

Started by comic, December 31, 2014, 01:14:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

comic

this is our short documentation about on of the last blacksmith in austria (with english subtitle) filmed with the 5d markiii enjoy it >>

ChadMuffin

Visually awesome! Great grade all around. Nice dark look. You really took advantage of what MLV has to offer. Looks like you had some pretty good equipment with some crane shots and nice shots with sliders. Really made me feel secluded and dirty much like the person you were documenting. What was your workflow?

Music was a good choice, felt more like an feature film then a documentary. Can I ask where you got your music? Nice sound effects when he was using his tools. Added in post?

Even though I don't speak the language I think there could have been a bit more tweaking on the voice. The voice sounded a bit far-away and empty. Try playing around with an equalizer at around 160 Hz to add bass and power to the voice. I think it would fit the feel of the project. Check out this video from IQ Filmmaker for more info, he also has other great videos with more great info.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4791OLkRrs

Canon eos m

Awesome! Filmic look!
Workflow will help us all.
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

comic

the workflow is very easy: i have an cheap crane, an cheap slider but very good lenses and the right camera settings. the secret is contrast -4 , saturation -2, and sharpness +2 ... thats all! dont forget ML cropmarks, focus peaking and zebra.  post production ist also a little bit but with the right settings bevor very easy. good luck!

its one year ago i made an DIY crane-tutorial (i am sorry its in german) for less than 100 €
http://youtu.be/eLplH3JLmDU

DeafEyeJedi

watched it twice. with surround sound system in here it sounded awesome. very well shot and lighting was spot on as well as exposed perfectly!

Thanks for sharing @comic!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

comic

I thank you all! I am very glad that you like our movie!

kyrobb

comic

DeafEyeJedi

@comic -- You literally shot the whole blacksmith sizzle in h.264???

ChadMuffin

More props to you for shooting in h.264 and getting it looking that good!

DeafEyeJedi

straight up.... if that's really the case!

genosajd

Where is noise?

What do you use to post production?
What do you use to noise reduction?

comic

sorry, my english is not the best but yes - i just filming the hole film with the intern 5d codec - NOT with raw!