Monitoring on touch screen (non-tablet)

Started by Sethicus, December 29, 2014, 08:11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sethicus

Hi,

I've been looking for a solution to my question, but can't seem to find any.
A lot of people are using a tablet these days to control their dslr. I've tried a couple of apps,
some are buggy, others are great. But they are still essentially software controlling the dslr,
requiring external processing power and lag is unavoidable.

Is there any way to just connect a touchscreen monitor, with the touchscreen showing an exact
copy of the dslr live view, full screen? Including the ability to control the camera by touch?
I guess it would have to connect over usb, cause hdmi doesn't send the "touch" data back to the
camera. And since it's just a screen, the camera would have to run the code to make it work.
Maybe something like this exists in Ml, or is in development?
Or is it just impossible, because the live view interface cannot be reproduced over usb?

Hope someone can answer this :)

(Using a canon 650D)

pv25pv

There is a similar thread just below..anyway as you may know already only app that works decent with tablets is 'dslr controller'..and yes image display is delayed (mayb with usb3 and faster tablets is ok idk).
If u want to just monitor use hdmi monitor...u wont be able to control dslr with a touchscreen hdmi monitor
5Dmk3
24-105mm f/4L _ 16-35mm f/2.8L II _ 50mm f/1.4 _ TS-E 90mm f/2.8 _ Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX

Sethicus

Thanks, but you just repeated what I already know and said.
Control through hdmi is not an option and no, I'm not searching for an app. So, would a touchscreen via usb be possible, without an app, just a touchscreen, possibly controlled by ML code?

In essence, this would make the touchscreen a usb-extension of the camera controlled by the camera's os or ML.
(Instead of making the camera an extension of a tablet, controlled by the app on the tablet, as discussed in other threads.)

The reason I don't just want normal monitoring, is because I'm building a rig, including viewfinder and the camera's lcd would be hard to access.
I know I can use the tablet, but I also want to monitor on a large screen and don't like the idea of having a monitor AND a tablet in the setup.
Plus, just really curious if it would be possible...

dmilligan

I think you have a bit of misconception about how USB devices work. Some USB device is not an "extension" of some other device. You can't just simply reach out and magically control another device over USB. USB is merely a protocol for sending data back and forth between devices, in other words it's a just means of communication. There have to be "programs" or "apps" or whatever you want to call it, at both ends, to send the data and do something with it. When you "control" something over USB, you're really just sending data to some client "program" running on that device that responds to that data.

Sethicus

Yes, exactly. That's why I said that for this to work, either the cameras os would have to support replacing the built-in lcd by an external one, over usb, or the ML code would have to add this functionality.
The functionality is there, in the camera, because the built-in lcd works. It's internally connected with wiring, so the only question that needs to be answered is wether the source of the input data can be switched from internal wiring, to usb.

So again, my question is, is there such a functionality, either in the os or the ML addon, that supports the receiving over usb of whatever input parameters the built-in lcd normally sends? (and of course sending the output data back also)

I am pretty sure there is, because apps work. They essentially send this data to the camera, along with more complicated data. But I suppose the app is what translates the input to parameters the camera can understand over usb.
For a touchscreen to work, the camera would have to understand the universal "mouse" data the touchscreen sends out. So, again, would the camera be able to interpret this raw, universal code? Could it be as simple as switching on some parameter to "turn on" the input over usb? Or would the camera need extra code?