raw2dng.exe (windows executable) without chroma smoothing

Started by jtvision, December 29, 2014, 11:42:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtvision

Hi All,

Does anybody know where can I get raw2dng.exe (windows executable) without chroma smoothing. I'm aware raw2dng.exe applies 2x2 smoothing. 2x2 chroma smoothing is really good but in some shots where background is clear sky and my subject is far away (e.g. Parachutist, or hot air balloon) I see some pixellation on edges of my subject.
I shoot only RAW 1.0 because it is 100% reliable where MLV is 95%ish in my experience, that is with my cards/settings/firmware version etc. I tried different converters including latest raw2cdng 1.6.5 but I'm not happy with vertical stripes correction, not as perfect as raw2dng.exe.

Thanks you in advance.

chmee

@jtvision
if you could send me a raw-example, i'd try to optimize my verticalbanding-code.. thats why we're here :) talking, learning, optimizing.

btw. chroma smoothing is not enabled by default in raw2dng. did you've done a test with enabled cs?
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/?topic=5404.0
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

jtvision

Hi Chmee,

Thanks for you reply,

I did tests just after you've released 1.6.5 but didn't keep the dngs. Vertical banding difference was mainly noticeable in night shots in dark areas. Could you not apply Alex's vertical banding fix algorithm? Also when I convert using 12bit maximized camera raw doesn't open dngs. Howerver it opens dngs converted 16bit and 16bit maximized.

I read somewhere in the forum (can not find it now) that raw2dng applies 2x2 chroma smoothing but may be that was a wrong info. I will give a try to the one with enable cs. Thanks for the link, I read that thread many time but never thought to try because I thought it was only for (650D, 700D, EOS-M) :)

chmee

thanks for reply. yes, a1ex code is slightly different, will implement his ev2lin/lin2ev-tables. if you want to help me, you could do a testconvert and send me a nonfunctional 12bit-dng.

jtvision

Hi Chmee,

I've sent the DNGs to your e-mail. Hope this will help.

chmee

chmee

@jtvision
ok, seems you used "pink highlight". fixed this bug, and will disable it. Finally you dont need this button anymore, because premiere copes now well. thanks for that.

jtvision

Thanks Chmee,
will wait for the version of raw2cdng with fixes applied.