Can i Unistall ML from my 5DMK3 ver 1.2.3 only by updating with Canon FIR?

Started by Arthur Abramov, December 23, 2014, 07:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arthur Abramov

Can i Unistall ML from my 5DMK3 ver 1.2.3 only by updating with Canon FIR?

I'm currently using 1.1.3 ---> 2.3 next
So if i wanted to uninstall ML i would need to Format the SD card with the ML on it. Next thing proceed with the regular Firmware update by canon?

Should i be worried about something else?

dmilligan

Re-installing Canon firmware will NOT remove ML or the bootflag. Follow the instructions to remove ML:
http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/install

Arthur Abramov

It says :
Uninstalling ML from one card

Format that card from the camera (select this option: Format card, remove Magic Lantern) and reboot. Your camera will load the original firmware when you use that card.

-------

What is the issue with the bootflag? Am i not going to be able to remove ML of the 5D MK3?

walter_schulz

If you read the instructions to remove ML "from one card" you get the instructions to remove ML from one card.
This won't affect cam's bootflag.
If you run ML installation once again and wait for 30 seconds after installation you will remove cam's bootflag and make this card non bootable.

Arthur Abramov

So all i need it to do is format the card which contains the ML FILES through the camera, then remove the card from the camera. Then the camera is Not containing ML on it and can be Upgraded to another Firmware by Canon for example the next Firmware-1.2.3 prior to the one i use right now which is 1.1.3  ? 

walter_schulz

There are three things needed to make ML run:
- Cam's bootflag set
- Bootable card
- Card containting ML files (Autoexec.bin + ML directory)

Upgrading or downgrading Canon's firmware won't change bootflag.
Formatting the card won't change bootflag.
Deleting ML files from the card won't change cam's bootflag.

To change bootflag you need to run ML installation. Sounds funny but this is the way it works.
Read screen messages.

Arthur Abramov

Well, does it matter if i used the older version of ML of the card? (it seems that there is a newer version out) Will the process be different on the older ver that i'm using ?

walter_schulz

Format your card, copy Canon's firmware file 5D300123.FIR to card. Run firmware upgrade. Format card again and proceed as described above. You will need ML for 1.2.3, of course.
You may downgrade cam's firmware to 1.1.3 after this. Or stay with 1.2.3.

Arthur Abramov

And then that's it? The camera will no longer have ML on it?
It's done?

One more questions to make sure : ML Nightly123 Zip file includes ML folder, aoutoexec and the CanonFIR123.

From my understanding the flow should be like this :
1) Format the Card from the camera --->
2) Run CanonFIR123 --->
3) Format the card --->
4) Copy the ML Folder INCLUDING the autoexec files on the Card --->
5) Put the card in the camera --->
6) Go to Update Firmware on the Menu and Run the Firmware(Magic Lantern123)  --->
7) (The Uninstallation) Run the same process Go to Menu Update the Firmware with the same Thing the only difference is to follow the instructions on the camera screen and uninstall it.

Is this correct? 

Arthur Abramov

Yes :)

Thank you for your time!

I wanted to make sure i'm doing everything right :)

Arthur Abramov

Walter, i formated the the card containing the ML folder, put the card again the the camera including the FIR123 and upgading it- the screen is black and the red led is blinking once 2 seconds.

What does it mean? Nothing happened for at least 10 seconds so i turned off the cam and took the battery out. The camera shows that the version is 1.1.3.

dmilligan

You must have Canon firmware version 1.2.3 on the camera first, before trying to use the installer.

Arthur Abramov

That is what i'm trying to upgrade to. The led is blinking for long time after i clicked upgrade canon firware from 113 to 123. how long should it blink?

dmilligan

Quote from: Arthur Abramov on December 30, 2014, 01:59:46 PM
That is what i'm trying to upgrade to.
It sure doesn't sound like it:
Quote from: Arthur Abramov on December 30, 2014, 01:47:11 PM
Walter, i formated the the card containing the ML folder, put the card again the the camera including the FIR123 and upgading it- the screen is black and the red led is blinking once 2 seconds.

You need to upgrade the CANON firmware first before updating or running the ML installer. You need to download the Canon .fir file for version 1.2.3 from Canon's website and follow their instructions to update the Canon firmware. Then, and only then, can you use the ML files, to "install" or "remove" ML.

walter_schulz

Arthur Abramov

Yes Walter that is What i was doing.. I just noticed i didn't follow the correct steps.. When updating Canon's firmware the camera Dial must be on P mode.. Mine was on M. Now i'm Updating it correctly. When it's done i'll proceed to installing the ML 123. Thanks.

walter_schulz

That's not what was wrong.
====
4. Rotate the Mode Dial to select <P> mode (or any mode other than Fully-Automatic Modes)
====

M works just fine.

Arthur Abramov

Yes it's done. Now the Cam running on 123. Does it matter which card to use to instal ML?

I put the ML Folder and the autoexec file on the card- now while the card is in - i'm scrolling to the menu Firmware ver to update and it says "Memory card containing firmware is requiered to update" I dont get it? Waht did i miss? Does the Firmware (Canons Firmware -or any other) must be on the card together with the ML files?

It seems that when i unzipped the ML123 there was a File of a FIR123, this is the file that must be on the card as well?

walter_schulz

Use a card formatted in your cardreader.
And copy *all* extracted nightly contents to card.

Arthur Abramov

Did it, Camera running on nightly 123. Got it!

Thank you Guy so much for your time!

Thank you Magic Lantern Crew for this priceless job you've done!

Arthur

walter_schulz

Just another example why nature decided men should not carry childs: They would be killed giving birth.

Arthur Abramov