Perfection shot with ML RAW and Canon 5D MKIII

Started by martinbennett70, December 15, 2014, 07:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

martinbennett70

Please check out our film shot on the Canon 5D MKIII using ML

Perfection - A brand film for bespoke car maker Overfinch.
Shot on location in the beautiful Swiss Alps near St. Moritz

Directed & Produced by Martin Bennett - https://vimeo.com/martinbennettfilm

Actor - Seumas Sargent
DOP - Konstantin Freyer
Local Producer - Roger Neuburger
Production - Markus Egloff
Drone Pilot - Martin Rickenmann
Drone Camera - Daniel Kunz
DIT - James Gray
Location Sound - James Gray
1stAC - Dominik Müller

Script - Dominik Binegger & John Moseley
Editor - Malcolm Crowe
Music - Mark Delany
Colour Grade - Simone Grattarola (Rushes London)
Retouch - The Brewery (London)

jrcreative

Wow! Very nice. Can you please let us in on some of how you shot this? Lenses, exposure, grading.

Thanks
J

Kharak

Nice!!

Slick and cool! great colours! drove on those roads myself in august! too bad I didn't have a Overfinch or a drone ;)
once you go raw you never go back

DeafEyeJedi

5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

HondaATC

Mehmet Kozal

Canon 650D user. Also, Bilal Fakhouri is a hero.

nikfreak

[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

martinbennett70

We had three Canon 5D Mk3's on set.

1. Fitted to a drone for one day of filming with Standard (Not L due to the gimbal mount) Canon lenses 50mm and 24mm
2. Main camera using Zeiss CP.2 Lenses 21mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm
3. Third camera set up with a Ronin Gimbal again using the Zeiss CP.2 Lenses

The post workflow was:
MLV to DNG and Pro res 422 and 444 for offline editing. Once we had a locked cut we used an EDL to bring the DNG's into Resolve. Where shots that needed a little retouch were rendered out as DPX's (16bit)
The retouch was made on a handful of shots using the DPX format which then came back into the grade and Resolve. Before being rendered out as Pro Res 444 for the mastering

MLdude

Great commercial! Those Ziess lenses look beautiful.

nikki

do you have any more details for raw post workflow??
what programs did you use and how did you view dailies during shoot and after?
what monitors did you use if any?

jrcreative

Any photos of your rigs that you can post for us to see?

rtwomey

This is really beautifully shot, love the aerials looking straight down in particular. Great job.

Martin, just wondering how you felt using ML on a high end commercial project like this. Were you nervous? Brave decision assuming the budget probably allowed the rental of Epics or Scarlets?

martinbennett70

QuoteMartin, just wondering how you felt using ML on a high end commercial project like this. Were you nervous? Brave decision assuming the budget probably allowed the rental of Epics or Scarlets?

We made the choice to shoot on the 5D MK3 using ML for several reasons.
1. I'd seen some amazing ML footage and our DOP Konstantin Freyer was shooting a feature on the 5D with ML. The results were very convincing.
2. I've always been a fan of the 5D and was an early adopter of the platform and when ML took that to the next level I was keen to explore the possibilities
3. We were on a challenging production in terms of time and budget so having a camera with a small footprint and being quick to setup was a big bonus. It also allowed us to have several cameras on set for little cost. This meant we could have 3 cameras prepped and ready to shoot for most situations. It was also great peace of mind having that many cameras on set. As it meant if one went down we know we have a backup or two. This also meant we were able to work with a very small crew and as a result work very quickly.

We only had a few technical problems with ML occasionally it would come out of RAW mode and start recording H264. This only happened a handful of times and was easily remedied by a restart. Once we knew this was a potential problem we just kept an eye on the monitor to make sure RAW was displayed.

In all I am very, very impressed with ML & the 5D MK3 it has delivered stunning results with amazing depth and latitude. When you see this on a pro monitor as uncompressed footage it truly is remarkable. In the words of our colourist. "no one will believe this was shot on a 5D MK3" and I have to say this is the response we are hearing.

jrcreative

Would you say that the lenses you chose played a major role in the look of the image? I'm asking because i'm using the Sigma A series lenses and would like to compare them to the lenses you used to see what if any difference there is in the image. You've achieved a very nice look.

emrahcahit

Quote from: jrcreative on December 18, 2014, 08:21:36 PM
Would you say that the lenses you chose played a major role in the look of the image? I'm asking because i'm using the Sigma A series lenses and would like to compare them to the lenses you used to see what if any difference there is in the image. You've achieved a very nice look.

Let me answer this question before him. Yes Sigma Art Series 35mm & 50mm Photography Lenses are competitors of Zeiss CP.2 lenses when the topic is image quality. But Zeiss CP.2s are cinema lenses which have 114mm focus barrel.

CP.2s are perfect for pro work where precise and deliberate focus pulls are needed which is quite hard to achive with photography lenses.

limey

jrcreative

Totally get the quality of focus, but the image itself is what I was really interested in seeing a comparison of. Thoughts?

directordarren

Amazingly beautiful.

Those CP.2's really shine when paired with Magic Lantern.

emrahcahit

@martinbennett70 did you use mk3 ML for your latest vimeo upload bentley film?

jakebrusha

This looked beautiful! Loved the spot.

I'm curious to know what you used for viewing the feed of the camera on the drone. Thanks!

sines

Hi Martin, great job and another feather in the cap for ML / Canon platform! Wondering how you previewed the drone feed while recording to KomputerBay 64 GB cards in slow motion; I'm gearing up to do a similar shoot and trying to figure out how to monitor what I'm shooting! Thanks!
Director | DoP | Creative Director
Arri Alexa · Arri IIC · Arritechno 35-90 · Blackmagic Pocket Cinema 6K · Canon 5D MKIII · DJI Focus, Matrice 600, Inspire 2, Ronin, Ronin-MX · Zeiss Standard Speeds · Zeiss Superspeed Contax Primes

goldenchild9to5