Not seeing any difference in dual iso images

Started by EFwebb, December 12, 2014, 05:12:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EFwebb

I am using a Canon 6d with the dual iso option.  As a test I turned the light off in the room I am in and kept the light on in the hallway and took a picture through the door.  I took the first picture at iso 200 and the second with the dual iso feature turned on to 200/3200.  The picture came out heavily banded because of how the sensor scans one line at iso 200 and the other at 3200 as I would expect.  I downloaded exiftool and draw along with the cr2hdr.app and dropped the .CR2 file in the window and it successfully converted it to a .dng file.  However, the converted .dng file looks identical in dynamic range to the original shot just taken at iso 200.  I must be missing something, can anyone give me any suggestions.  I would attach the photos as jpegs here to show what I mean, but when I hit the attachments and other options button, it does not lead me to any method of attaching a file.
[img]test1.jpg/img] [img]test2.jpg/img]

Ottoga

EOS 7D.203, EFS 55-250mm, EF 75-300 III, Tamron 16-300 DiII VC PZD Macro, SpeedLite 580EX II.

chmee

you cant attach files in this forum. hotlink it via the known pic-upload-services.
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

Levas

The images look identical, until you edit them in a raw editor like lightroom.
The shadows and exposure can be pushed much more/easier in the dual iso picture. (don't forget to temper the highlights, if you push exposure  ;))

By most Canon camera's there's much less (fixed pattern) noise in the shadows.
But the 6d is already low in noise and almost zero fixed pattern noise.
Many scenes can do without dual iso, but it's very useful for sunny skies where the sun is in the frame.
Or nighttime photography with lamp posts and other bright light sources in the frame

EFwebb

I see, you are absolutely right.  When I adjust the shadows, highlights and curves in LR it comes out at the same dynamic range and color, but with significantly less noise with a 200/3200 setting.  Very nice.

dmilligan

Technically speaking, less shadow noise is the same thing as more dynamic range, since the definition of dynamic range depends on SNR.

http://theory.uchicago.edu/~ejm/pix/20d/tests/noise/noise-p2.html#SNR-DR