Ninja Star

Started by Budmas, December 09, 2014, 02:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Budmas

Hi Guys,
I did a search for this and I didn't come up with anything, so if this is posted somewhere else, just let me know.... if not, I'm considering purchasing the Atomos Ninja Star. On a 5D Mk II, I know using ML that a lot of people have used the Ninja 2 to record to. I can't seem to find anything posted online of anyone using the Ninja Star and a 5D Mk II with ML. Has anyone tried the Ninja Star? Any information about it's compatibility or performance is appreciated. Thanks.

Buddy

stevethornton

The Star will work just fine. If you are shooting in RAW, it will NOT automatically start and stop with the camera so you will need to push both record buttons. If you are shooting w/o RAW, you can set the camera and the Atomos recorder so the Star will auto record and stop to match the recording on the camera.

ST

reddeercity

That will not work with the 5D2 , ( Start/Stop function W/h264 video) as the HDMI has no Timecode . I have check with my AJA Kona LHi Capture card.
It's just "Free Run" and the same go for Ninja etc.. Timecode was implemented in 5D3 and the rest of canon Cinema Camera Line .The 5D2 was not part of that.

o0mango

so please solid ...

it will work whit the mark II 5d  for record pro res  the ninja star ?

a very big  doubdt   when a saw  videos ... in the ninja 2  the user  see all in the  field monitor (ninja 2) so the ninja  star   doesnt  have monitor ...

can i see  thru de 5d2 monitor  and  record in the  ninja  star hdmi ?

reddeercity

No you need a monitor between the recorder & camera as the Star has none.
The only camera that can have the Camera LCD on when connected to HDMI is the 5D3 with mirroring option enabled.
All other Cameras to my knowledge turn off LCD monitor when connected to HDMI
I pass though the HDMI from my 5D2 to Zacuto EVF to Ninja .
I don't use the Ninja to monitor , even thou I could I use the EVF instead.
More accurate.