Using intervalometer - How to auto exposure - Canon 60D

Started by Chiuy, December 08, 2014, 09:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chiuy

I want to make a time lapse video on my Canon 60D and I do not see a setting where I can auto exposure.
Obviously, if I want to take a day to night photo and if my exposure doesn't auto adjust, my pictures will become pitch black at night.
Any ideas or suggestions?

dmilligan

The intervalometer takes photos using whatever Canon mode/settings you are in. So simply set the mode dial to Av, Tv, or P.

However, Canon metering tends to be insufficient for day to night timelapse. I suggest using AutoETTR:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5705.0

Chiuy

I do not see the option for auto ETTR.
My firmware Vers. is 1.1.1. - ml - Nightly 2

Edit - Never mind. I didn't realize you have to load the module.
Edit 2 - Does anyone recommend taking time lapse photos in silent mode so the shutter doesn't have to make a sound every 10 second.

dmilligan

You can but there are a lot of limitations to silent mode (resolution, minimum shutter speed, etc.)

Chiuy

So, I took HDR photos in two different ISO settings.
Is there an easier way to merge the two photos into a HDR photo instead of manually putting them 1 by 1 on photoshop then putting them into a video?
Pretty sure doing it merging one by one will take a very long especially when I have 5000+ photos.

Chiuy

Thanks. I used Photomatix is easily batch up my photos, but I'll take a look at your method too.
Do most people take 2 or 3 photos for HDR? I'm seeing more people take 2 photos now these days, but back when I was learning HDR, you needed 3 (1 dark, 1 light, 1 normal).

dmilligan

You simply need enough frames to cover the dynamic range of your scene. I find that 2 photos 4ev apart is usually enough for the vast majority of scenes.

Start with an exposure that doesn't clip any highlights you want to capture, then take additional frames, increasing by ~4ev each time until your darkest shadows have acceptable noise levels. ML's raw zebras are perfect for this task since they show you overexposed areas as well as shadow noise.

Psyrco