Finding a good steadycam solution/shoulder rig for the 5D MK 3 + 24-70mm II

Started by SwiftFoX, December 07, 2014, 01:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwiftFoX

Hi Guys,

I'll be flying to the states from Europe to film my first music video. Currently I have most the equipment I need but, I'm missing something to stabilize the frame and give the impression of overall smooth footage. As you may know, the 24-70mm II doesn't have IS, so this is pretty important.

Do you think I should go for the steadycam HD-2000 for example? Total weight of the equipment is around 3.8lbs. Or, should I go for some sort of shoulder rig? If so, can anyone recommend a good retailer for this stuff with quick turn around while I'm over there in the states?

Just generally looking for smooth footage, have had my eye son the glidecam HD-2000 for a long time, but I understand there are newer solutions out there!

Thanks a lot for any help.

QuickHitRecord

It depends on the type of movement that you want. Shoulder rig footage looks very different from steadicam/glidecam/gimbal footage. How do you want the viewer to feel?

There's a learning curve for the Glidecam. Don't expect to buy one and get great results the next day.

If you are just trying to add some movement to you shots and don't have several days of practice time built in, see if you can rent a Movi M5 or similar gimbal stabilizer. Even with one of those, give yourself at least a day to experiment and fine-tune the device.

For a cheap but surprisingly decent shoulder rig, buy a Gorillapod focus. I've used all kinds of shoulder rigs, and in my opinion the highly-configurable Gorillapod is as good as any of them and better than most.
5DmIII | January 27 2017 Nightly Build (Firmware: 1.23) | KomputerBay 256GB CF Cards (1066x & 1200x)

DFM

+1 for rental; every last ounce counts on transatlantic flights, and the US has a bunch of extremely good rental houses that'll ship anything from a gimbal to a dolly cart to your set, often cheaper than the step up to business class to get a decent baggage allowance, plus you know it's going to arrive safely (I've had bags lost both ways). If you're using studio lights it's the only way to go (not least because your EU bulbs will be expecting 230V). Suggest you check the listings on MandY.com

Unless you're on a backlot or have a very generous budget and can get every possible bit of kit "just in case", blocking every shot beforehand is essential so you know if you need a shoulder rig, dolly (with or without rails), etc, etc. They do look slightly different and a camera operator can often tell what's used in a scene, but the real deciding factor is ground surface vs. camera path. Dollies are great if you want horizontal sweeps on concrete, but there's a reason Hollywood never followed anyone up stairs! Gimbals will get you into tight spaces, but if the operator has to walk about it takes a lot of practice to avoid the little bounces from each step as they're just not heavy enough, hence the Steadicam arm+vest system. Depends on budget but rather than dry-hiring a gimbal it might be safer to hire a local operator who owns one, even if they fly your camera.

Kharak

Glidecam is for one shot at a time.

I own a HD 4000 and believe me, You dont want to carry it around for a Day. Its a Great tool, but only for steady shots planned out.

Get a shoulder rig! I think its what You nées.

Via phone.
once you go raw you never go back

emphram

I hear the Laing P-04s is also a great camera stabilizer, I'm ordering mine next week and will be receiving it a week or two from that day.

swinxx

Birdycam 2 from Varavon.. ;) A light and perfect gimbal. The footage will get smooth, simple calibration and long lasting battery makes that gimbal just awesome. Check out the demo videos (vimeo, youtube)