Sharp Videos (Vimeo)

Started by EVZML, December 06, 2014, 09:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EVZML

Hi everyone!
I'm shooting video on Canon DSLR for 2 or 3 years now, and with Magic Lantern something around 6 months.
I get really nice videos using RAW video. But I'm wondering how some people on Vimeo get a overall sharp picture without any depth of field.

I'm mostly shooting with a Canon 50mm 1.8.
I would have to set aperture on something like F20 to get a look like that. But then I would have to set ISO so high that I would have a noisy picture, even if I set length of exposure to 1/25 (I'm usually shootin on 1/50).

Here some videos I'm talkin about:

especially 0-20sec.
http://vimeo.com/groups/192251/videos/113455545

especially 20-30sec.
http://vimeo.com/groups/192251/videos/113517187

Here is my equipment:
-Canon EOS 50D
-Canon EOS 1100D
-Canon EF 50mm 1.8
-Canon EF 18-55mm (standard kit lens)
-RMC Tokina  28mm  2.8 (m42 lens with adapter)
and tripod, steadycam, different video lights, etc...

Any tips?

dmilligan

Quote from: EVZML on December 06, 2014, 09:00:42 PM
I would have to set aperture on something like F20 to get a look like that.
No you wouldn't. F20 is beyond the diffraction limit for most lenses anyway, so it would actually be less sharp. Those shots are all landscapes, and with landscapes typically things are far away, which means it's pretty easy to get enough depth of field even at large apertures. Remember that the size of your DOF increases exponentially with subject distance.

For example, your 50mm at f/4 will have a hyperfocal distance around 100 ft. This means you can get everything from 50ft away to infinity in focus.

There are lots of good tutorials on the net about DOF, aperture, focus, etc. just google.

andresharambour

I would also say that the sharpening applied to those videos is very nicely done. Do you apply any sharpening to your videos EVZML?

With RAW video you start with a very good detail information in the clip to enhance applying sharpening in both lightroom and Davinci resolve (those are the softwares I've used). I would recommend revising your workflow when applying sharpening and also keeping in mind what dmilligan said about DOF.

I hope this helps.