Installation Problems Cannon 550D

Started by steveredonka, December 01, 2014, 06:51:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveredonka

Hi All,

I'm a newcomer to ML and I'm having some problems installing the software on my 550D. I've downloaded and installed the latest firmware from Canon, I'm using a full battery and a card which has just been formatted.

I download the latest 'nightly build' from the ML site and I extract all of the files to the root of the card yet when I try and install the software on the camera it simply tells me 'memory card containing firmware is required to update'.

Here's a screenshot of how the files are extracted onto the SD card:

Importantly, when I extract the nightly build I cannot see any file with a .fir extension and I'm assuming that's the problem. Any idea where I'm going wrong?

Apologies if I'm asking something which has already been answered, I can't find anything in the archives of this forum which seems to answer this specific problem.

SR

EMJAYWLZ

Hi Steve,

I was having a similar problem on both of my cameras, 5D and T2i.  The newest file structure for these builds don't show a fir. file that I can find, but for some reason, I couldn't seem to get ML to install on my T2i, and had a similar experience with the 5D where I couldn't get ML off.

I sorted out the 5D, I simply took out the ML SD card (512 MB PNY SD card)  and the camera restored itself to the normal firmware 1.2.3.  I formatted the small SD Card with Mac Disk Utility to MS-DOS (FAT) and then added the latest build of ML to the 512 SD card, and then updated the firmware, where as before it gave me the message "Memory Card content firmware is required to update".

Regarding the T2i, I followed the thread and located a Firmware file 1.0.9 for the 550D, placed it in with the newest build, and it allowed me to "attempt" to update, but said it was missing fonts.  So I turned off the camera, restarted and saw that ML was still not installed. 

So knowing that the Firmware file would allow the update to work, I went back and used an older build posted and installed the good old fashioned way and I was able to install ML on the 550D/Rebel T2i.

For some reason or another, I suspect the camera is not reading the autoexec.bin file.  Even stranger, I had this camera working with ML before with a previous "Nightly Build" that only contains the single .bin file and the ML folder and it was working perfectly.

So I don't know what gives.  The boot flags must be working if I can install using the much older builds, but so far, all things point to the camera being the culprit. 

If I learn anything new, I'll be sure to post.

Best,

MJ

dmilligan

The ML "install" only does two things: sets a flag in the camera that tells it to "boot" from the card, and makes the card "bootable".

To update ML, all you have to do is overwrite the ML files on the card (do NOT reformat the card when doing this).

autoexec.bin contains the executable code that is ML. When the camera turns on, if the "bootflag" is set and the card is "bootable" then instead of starting the regular firmware stored in ROM, the camera loads and executes autoexec.bin. (If both of these conditions are not met, ML does not boot).

When ML gets started, it adds its own hooks and tasks and then loads and transfers control back to the main Canon firmware found in ROM. In this sense, ML is not really a firmware, but simply a program that runs on top of the Canon firmware telling it to do stuff.

jameslarkin

not sure if someone has said this already can't be bothered reading through all the comments

but i got a new memory card which was a 1000x and now it works fine
canon 5d mark II, kowa h anamorphic lense, samyang 85mm 1/5, 50mm 1.8/1.4, 50mm/200mm 2.8, dr-40 audio recorder

nbstahl

Hi guys,

I am attempting a first time install of ML v2.3 to my 550d (running the latest firmware 1.0.9). On a low level formatted card with a full battery, set to M, with an 8gb sd card, no accessories attached, and all the rest, I am given the message "Memory card containing firmware is required to update" when I go to "install" the ML software. The troubleshooting section of the included PDF suggests that I put a copy of the latest Canon firmware on the card when I go to install. When I do this, it only recognizes the firmware and not the ML files and executes a firmware update as usual as if the ML files weren't there.

I am relatively inexperienced and would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

nbstahl

Forgot to mention that the SD card is an SDHC 15 mb/s, but have attempted the entire process with a 32 gb SDHC 30 mb/s 200x card as well. Thanks again.

walter_schulz

FIR file missing in nightly build.
See http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13111.msg134578#msg134578
Download zip, extract FIR to your card and run installation again.

nbstahl

I am attempting to install the stable package not the nightly build. I believe the fir file is already present... unless I'm not understanding.

walter_schulz

And is there a FIR file in the cards root directory? Together with AUTOEXEC.BIN and ML folder?

nbstahl

Yes they are all there. In addition, the fir files of other camera models as well as the INSTALL and USER GUIDE PDFs are present, but as I understand it that should not be an issue...

walter_schulz

Delete all FIR files not designed for 550D and run installation again. This includes Canon's firmware file for 550D

nbstahl

Just tried that and I am getting the same message....

walter_schulz

Link a snapshot of the card's root directory.

nbstahl

http://s723.photobucket.com/user/nbstahl/embed/slideshow/

the second one was prior to eliminating the irrelevant FIR files (I realize it is not on the card in the picture but I assure you it was) and the first is what I just tried on the card.

walter_schulz

You copied the zip file to the card.
You should have extracted all content and copied those files to card: Autoexec.bin, ML directory + FIR.
Works better if instructions read, understood/followed.

nbstahl

Hence why I asked. Thanks man I'll give it a go.

nbstahl

Actually I'm sure that I did not directly copy the zip file to the card. I opened it first in Finder and then copied the whole folder to the card. What in the pictures makes you think differently? Perhaps I extracted wrong somehow?

When I extracted the autoexec.bin stayed as a zip file. .. maybe this is the issue?

walter_schulz

Extract file to local disk, copy extracted nightly contents to card's root directory.
In pic 1 and 3 is a directory on the cards root where the nightly contents are located. This directory should not be there.

nbstahl

leaving computer until tomorrow. Will try this tomorrow and get back to you. thanks again

nbstahl

As I understand it, the nightly contents you add after installing the stable package first. I have not done anything yet with nightly contents, as I have not successfully installed the stable package yet. Can you help me understand why you suggested extracting the nightly contents to the card's root directory? Thanks.

Are you referring to the picture of the SD card? Which directory should not be there?

EMJAYWLZ

Hey there, for anyone who is interested I solved this install problem on the 550D.

I need to open my eyes, slow down a bit...and read.

So I couldn't install ML on my 550D after a great run of using it.

Then one day after removing it, and updating to a nightly build, it wouldn't work. 

Couldn't figure it out but it the 550D update would keep saying that it needed firmware to update.

I figured out today that the nightly builds don't include the firmware. the firmware is only available in the old builds v2.3  I've avoided this for a while now and today decided to take a crack at it.

I slowed down, took a look at the nightly builds page and saw this:

Installation

You cannot use this package for first install. Download the old v2.3, install it, then replace the files with the ones from the nightly build.

Well, chocolate and peanut butter.  I downloaded v2.3, then updated the folders on this from the nightly builds and voila!  It works.

So if I've waisted anyones time on this one, or there has been a groan or rolling of eyes upon reading my earlier post, and was punished by a non reply because of it.  My bad.

Thanks to everyone out there for sharing their thoughts. 

Best,

MJ

Theodordocker

i just sat there for countless of hours going out of motivation and you solved it! I am so happy i found this answer!

Walter Schulz

Outdated installation instruction.
Since build #371 (24.06.2015 15:03:32) there is a new installer. No need to install v2.3 first, no card size limitation, no need to use EOScard/Macboot (but for ExFAT on cards < 64 GB).