Original lens-wide when shooting RAW in outer then full-res?

Started by dennisrydberg, December 01, 2014, 10:49:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dennisrydberg

Hello!

I've been using Magic Lantern RAW for some time which I really like, one problem I have though is that a 18mm turns into about a 35 mm lens when shooting in 1280*720 (which is the maximum resolutions my 550D can record in for about 10 sec). Would it be possible to create "Zoom out"-function like the build-in x5 (and x10) but backwards to keep the lenses original width?

I've got the idea when I was in x5-mode and by accident push record. To my surprise it didn't went back to the none-inzoomed view like it would in the normal recording mode, instead it went and recorded the zoomed in image in good quality without being pixelated.

If this is possible it would be great to put it in relation to the resolution you're currently recording in for example:
1920*1080= *1
1280*720= *0.677
810*540= *0,5

What do you think of this idea?

Kind regards
Dennis

ThankMeLater

Hey,

one way to get a wider range would be choosing a higher resolution BUT crop the buttom and top of your image by choosing less than 16:9. So if you dont mind having black bars at the buttom and top this is the way to go. If you shoot music videos for example this is no problem as black bars are very common anyways.

Another way is to choose 720p 50 fps mode in canon menu. Than you choose fps overwrite at 23,976.  you can now record at a higher resolution (as the image hight is limitated and not correctly stretched) BUT you have to stretch the picture afterwards in premiere etc. which will result in a loss in quality.