Mod Idea. Speedboster for crop DSLR

Started by Tullen, November 29, 2014, 05:00:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tullen

Hi.

I have been thinking about the possibility to add a speedbooster to my 50d. It goes something like this. Take out the optical glass of a speedbooster, see video below, fix a permanent mirror lock so the mirror stay out of the way, place the optics from the speedbooster in the camera (between the lens and the sensor with the same distance as it would have had with a speedbooster on a mirrorless camera).

Since I do not have a speedbooster at hand I do not know if the optical glass would fit in the square hole in the camera without modification, but I put together this overlay picture that suggest it would (sorry it looks like crap, could not find perfect pictures to work with).

I know they are not perfectly overlayed, but decided to put the circle in the middle instead of align the picture since they are taken from different angles.

What do you think? Would this be possible? Maybe a way to make crop mode more useful, or just get the FF field of view.
Curious to hear your thoughts.

Cheers, Tullen

nikfreak

I don't think this would work. Mirrorless should use contrast detection to focus but if you place additional optics between lens and sensor then I can rest assure you that on dslr you may lose infinity focus and encounter other quirks
Regarding your idea I think it simply may damage the camera if you try. Maybe others can comment this but in general speedboosters would have been available a while ago for canon / nikon if manufacturers could produce 'em cause there's more profit to make with CaNikon accessories. Just my 2cents.
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

2blackbar

It wont work cause i wanted to do it too, i measured glass and you would have yo remove everything in ftont with mirror . glass from booster wont be able to fit close enough to sensori its too big.
I sold my 550D and bought canon M , then i bought NEX speed booster/focal reducer and i adapted it to my canon, works nice even clicks into place  :)

There is reason why there's no speedbooster for canon, its because EOS M sold very poorly.Kinda disastrous.