Lens Known For Barrel distortion

Started by extremelypoorfilmaker, November 29, 2014, 04:36:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

extremelypoorfilmaker

Hi guys, i was browsing the web.. Searching for a lens that has heavy barrel distortion. As, i am afraid getting a fish eye might be too much for what i need. Do any of you have any idea what i am talking about? :)

Levas

Don't know if you have a crop sensor or full-frame:
For crop sensor there is the Tokina 10-17mm fisheye, you can zoom with it (on 10mm you got you're fisheye, on 17mm it's more like a heavy distorted wide angle lens).
For Full Frame, maybe the Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f2.8 ? (Has more like a wavy mustache distortion)

extremelypoorfilmaker

Thanks Levas for your reply! :) I should have state that i have a Canon 6D so, full frame it is!

I asked this question because sometimes i think the barrel distortion a fisheye gives you is just too much.. :)

Levas

I have a 6d too, still using a Tokina 10-17mm fisheye on it, from 15mm it covers Fullframe  8)
The Tokina has a lot of red and green Chroma on high contrast area's (which most software can remove perfectly in post...)
Still looking for a used canon 15mm f2.8 fisheye, they seem to be the sharpest around for fisheye...

I've also the samyang 14mm f2.8.
But the wide angle, not fisheye, type lenses stretches stuff and people in the sides of the frame a lot.
Weirdly I think people look more naturally on fisheye lenses than on wide angle lenses (in the sides of the frame that is  ;D)
Normal wide angles stretches people so they become fat or have really weird long arms...

chmee

photozone is a good start. fi the 24-105L (sigma 24-105 as well) does massive barrel on wide end.
http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/420-canon_24105_4_5d?start=1

regards chmee
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

extremelypoorfilmaker

Hey thank to you all guys! :)

Chmee, the link you gave me was pretty usefull. Levas, i check the lenses you told me about and seems to me that the tokia is the winner.. Shame the tokina is quite slow, but from the samples i checked, i think is the winner..

Than, the sigma 15mm 2.8 fisheye came along! :D

Levas

The slowness of the Tokina makes me look for the Canon 15mm fisheye. I like to have f2.8
Sigma 15mm fisheye seems to be very good too, and f2.8

extremelypoorfilmaker

Hey levas, i was checking this website out: (most probably, you already know it)

https://pixelpeeper.com/lenses/?lens=260

And one thing struck me, sending me to a quest: Finding a fisheye cine lens. so to have all manual focus and iris. In a way, having manual control on a lens grants it a broader compatibility. The downside being slightly prejudicating still photography ( I mean, you can shoot sport photos all manual, but let's face it: autofocus makes the job a lot easier! ) :)

Apart from the 8mm samyang, at this point in time, i don't know any other fisheye cine lens! :)

Levas

For full manual lenses you probably end up with either Samyang or Carl Zeiss
Or older lenses without EF mount but usable with mount adapter...

The older Canon FD mount also had a 15mm fisheye, with aperture ring.
And there are Canon FD to EF mount adapters, but with glass in it, so you probably loose some quality.
Although for video you might not notice...

Oh and with fisheye you don't miss autofocus, you set you're lens to infinity and almost everything within 0.5 meter from you is sharp  8)

extremelypoorfilmaker

Quote from: Levas on November 30, 2014, 08:06:16 PMOh and with fisheye you don't miss autofocus, you set you're lens to infinity and almost everything within 0.5 meter from you is sharp  8)

Of course.. I should have known that!  :D

It's really a shame about the adapter ring for FD mount. I had a couple not long ago, and the one with the glass in it.. well.. let's say it did Not improve the image to say the least.. I think you might find some quality ones, but i don't think it's worth the hassle to go to such lenghts..

Would be funny to try use a fisheye with a macro extention tube :)

Walter Schulz

Not that much fun with extension tubes. Focus distance will be shorter that lens length.
Just try any ultra wide lens with an extension. Will not work well. There are some constructions using small plates within the EF-mount for wide angle macro work. It's about millimeters here.

extremelypoorfilmaker

Another new thing learned here today! :)

cheers

Levas

was searching for fisheyes:
If you wanna go cheap:
zenitar 16mm f2.8 fisheye

Fully manual and about 200 dollar for a NEW one.
Downside, according to most reviews it's very soft at f2.8...

extremelypoorfilmaker

That zenitar looks fun to play around! :) but i would prefer something that is sharper when way open.. I think i will fall for Either the Canon or Sigma 15mm 2.8. Actually, you can find the latter one at around £300 (I live in the uk)

I actually found a couple of people on amazon in the UK that are selling the Canon 15mm f2.8 fisheye guess how much the want.. £600! xD for a used lens!

Levas

The problem with the 15mm canon fisheye is, there are plenty used one around for sale, but everybody asks 500 euros...
I'll just wait  ;D and in the meantime use my Tokina 10-17mm on 15mm f4.0 with lot's of chroma (damn I want a supersharp canon 15mm f2.8 with less chroma  :P)

extremelypoorfilmaker

""everybody"" wants the razor sharp canon 15mm! aha :D