Everything is orange! (MLV RAW)

Started by decoy, November 22, 2014, 09:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

decoy

Hi all,
Im new here. Ive been using it for about 3 months and been loving it... until today.
For some reason my white balance is way off, nuclear orange, no matter what the W/B setting. Photos are fine, just happens with video.

I though maybe it was because there was a conflict with cameras (5Dmkiii) native w/b that I was unaware of. Not that.
Then I thought it was my viewing software, but I tried at least 4.
I then uninstalled ML to check if it was something to do with the camera itself. But that footage is normal.
On reinstalling I still have the same problem.
I checked if the modules are the same as what I had before, and theyre consistent (mlv_rec.mo, file_man and mlv_play modules)

Im out of ideas and I think I have covered most of whats written on this forum. I could be perhaps losing metadata from the MLV as I noticed that, after converting dng and bringing a frame into PS that the temp rose to 5800.

Now, Ive got a pretty severe flu, and Im a noob... it feels like some that Ive missed. Does anyone know whats happening here?

Thanks

dmilligan

decoy

Thanks for the response.
I took a look at this earlier, and although similar I dont believe this is the problem Im having.
Its not a conversion issue as it looks 'off' in the playback on the camera, as well as in MLVViewSharp, which has previously looked accurate.

a couple of examples. The bottom image is taken as a still and is correct. The top one is how all of my MLV footage is coming out.

Thanks

dmilligan

Are you able to make the images look "right" by adjusting the WB? If so, it simply means your converter is not properly translating the WB into the DNG. Several converters simply hardcode the WB into the DNG and ignore the MLV WB metadata (this is because converting between the two is not trivial). The ML in camera preview may look off too (IIRC, it uses hard-coded WB multipliers for performance reasons). Perhaps you didn't notice it being off before because your scenes' were closer to the hard-coded WB being used.

decoy

Hi, and thanks,
it seems I can fix it and that its only the WB thats being effected. You could be right that Im remembering incorrectly too as all the footage is coming out the same (post conversion) no matter what temp Ive set.
Ive been using raw2cdng.1.4.9.7 with great success until yesterday and it seems odd that its just stopped including metadata. Ill try a reinstall of this software, but Im still not totally convinced theres not something else going on.

Im now not able to change the WB :-\ to either manual or the presets. If I leave the WB HUD up and try to record I get an error and a shut down.

err 70
shooting is not possible due to an error.

Looks like a memory error in the crash log:

ASSERT: 0
at ./MovieRecorder/MovRecState.c:323, task MovieRecorder
lv:1 mode:3

Magic Lantern version : Nightly.2014Aug07.5D3123
Mercurial changeset   : ffd1d533b1dc (5D3-123) tip
Built on 2014-08-06 22:01:43 UTC by [email protected].
Free Memory  : 138K + 3813K

Ill explore further and see if Im missing something. Any advice would be appreciated, Im still pretty green with all of this.

Thanks