Fonts.Dat Not Found

Started by Paul37, November 27, 2014, 11:44:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul37

Hi,
1st post here, I need some help installing ML on my T2i. I was running Canon Firmware 1.09. I downloaded, extracted & ran the ML ver 2.3 for the 550D/t2i. It said it was a success.  Then I downloaded the latest build 2014 Oct 07, tried to install it and get the Fonts. Dat Not Found Message. I tried leaving the .fir file on the card & continue to get this error.

I searched Fonts.Dat on the forum & read the results  but still haven't a clue what I'm doing wrong. I hope I provided enough info to get some help getting Magic Lantern updated & working.

Thank You,
Paul

walter_schulz

Delete AUTOEXEC.BIN and ML directory from the card and copy extracted nightly build contents to card.

Paul37

Paul37

Question: Do I put .zip file on card & unzip on card or unzip on PC & copy files ( what I've been doing)?

walter_schulz

This error indicates you're using an outdated AUTOEXEC.BIN. You're sure you copied AUTOEXEC.BIN from the nightly build?
And "copy extracted nightly build contents to card" is just what you have to do.

Paul37

I first deleted the old one & ML folder & then copied both from Nightly build onto card.

Paul37

I just did the Oct 7th build again. & when I went to firmware update it tells me I need a working firmware version on the card. Should I copy the firmware .fir file to the card from the first installation of ML2.3?

Paul37

copied 550D-109.fir to the card & tried again "Fonts.Dat Not Found is the result.

walter_schulz

Autoexec.bin
484.912 Bytes
Changed 07. Oct. 2014
CRC-32: b03f3d2f
MD5: 23d654c5d5e24cbc904f462fc669eb67d7eee9c4

And you can do whatever you want with FIR. It won't do anything to get rid of this error.

Paul37

I don't understand your last post.When I look at the autoexec.bin I copied to the card it's 474KB. What are the other strings?

walter_schulz

First line: Name of the file
Second: Exact file size (not: file size used by file system)
Third: Last time file contents were changed. Not: Time of file downloaded/written locally.
Fourth: Checksum by CRC-32. There are programs to do this calculation. File dates may be misleading but checksums give some kind of fingerprint.
Fifth: Same but method here is MD5.

Paul37

What am I supposed to do with the checksum, etc? I told you my file says 474kb. If you are trying to be cryptic it's working.

This is what I read under troubleshooting for unified/install: If the camera asks for a firmware update, (which it does "says card must contain firmware update") place Canon firmware on the card (this was a problem in older versions). I copied the most recent firmware from canon e8kr7109.fir and copied it to the card. Back in the camera when I try to update it installs Canon ver1.09 back on the camera.

Paul37

Where is the file last changed & exact file size listed? I pulled up properties and it says 473K.

walter_schulz

I hope this part is clear: Don't play around with FIR files. It won't do anything to solve your problem.

Paul37

I'm not even sure what software I'm supposed to download at this point. I've watched 6 different videos on installing ML and every single one shows a different version of the download page. One guy is downloading stable version 11.11.11 or some crap. another guy 2.2, etc. I wish I could find one damn good set of instructions to download & install this software. I've done many firmware updates on electronics. This is a joke. I'm fairly certain I have the same t2i running vsoftware ver 1.0.9 like everyone else. After 5 hours of this I'm just getting a bit tired of doing the same things over & over.

dmilligan

Quote from: Paul37 on November 27, 2014, 11:44:18 AM
I downloaded, extracted & ran the ML ver 2.3 for the 550D/t2i. It said it was a success.  Then I downloaded the latest build 2014 Oct 07, tried to install it and get the Fonts. Dat Not Found Message. I tried leaving the .fir file on the card & continue to get this error.
You only have to install ML one time. All that "installation" does is set a flag in the camera that tells it to boot up from the SD card. ML lives on the SD card. All you have to do to update ML once you've "installed" it the first time, is to simply overwrite the files on your card. Do NOT run the "firmware update" again. You are actually already finished and there's nothing else you need to do.

ML is not a replacement firmware. It is simply a program that runs on top of the Canon firmware. It's get's launched from off the SD card when the camera boots.

Walter Schulz

Paul: Top of page -> Downloads -> Browse Nightly Builds -> 550D.109
Download it.
Extract contents.
Delete Autoexec.bin and ML directory from card
Copy extracted contents (ML directory + Autoexec.bin) to card
Insert card into cam and startup cam.
Results?

I'm totally p****d about those outdated and misleading tutorials.