Expo Override ON problemo

Started by stagsy, November 22, 2014, 10:57:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stagsy

Couldn't work out why there was a pulsating 1 stop exposure from normal to overexposed on non-RAW footage shot on a 5D Mk3, until I narrowed it down to having the Exp Override set to ON causing the histogram to shift from left to right and bac.
Is this normal?

a1ex

stagsy

Version: Nightly.2014Aug07.5D3123
Mercurial Changeset: ffd1d533b1dc (5D3-123)
Built on 2014-08-06 22:01:43 UTC

RAW video - (MLV) - Off
Raw video - Off
WB - Auto
ISO - 200
Shutter - 50th
Aperture - 4.5
Exp Lock - Off
Exp Preses - Off
Exp Override - On
ExpSIm - Movie

Auto Light Optimizer - Off
Highlight Tone Priority - Off

a1ex

Can't reproduce. What lens did you use? Can you record a video showing the problem? Can you upload your ML/SETTINGS directory?

stagsy

a1ex

Just as you did with the movies.

Can you reproduce the issue with a manual lens or with a 50/1.8?

stagsy

Tried it with a Nikon 1.8 manual and that looked fine both ON and OFF.
Tried it with a 70-200 and although slightly subtler than with the 24-70 (perhaps going in close up diffuses the effect) the problem is still there with Exp Override ON but not with it OFF.

How do I get my ML settings off the camera and onto my computer?

Walter Schulz

Quote from: stagsy on November 23, 2014, 05:33:13 PMHow do I get my ML settings off the camera and onto my computer?

Cardreader and copy \ML\SETTINGS directory to computer.

a1ex

Can you try with more lenses?

Since I can't reproduce, you have to do some more detective work. Examples:

- clear all ML settings, don't load any modules, and see if you still get the problem
- clear Canon settings
- try different ISOs, shutter speeds and apertures
- try different zoom levels (focal lengths)
- try to find out whether the flicker is done with ISO or with shutter speed (if it's 1 stop, it should be visible if you check the motion blur)
- try different modes (M, Tv, Av...)
- try different video modes (1080p, 720p, 480p, crop)
- whatever else you might think of
- report the results in detail: http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#beprecise

stagsy

Further tests reveal the pulse to be inconsistent, when Exp Override is On - it's usually there but often there is no pulse but then kicks in when stopping down until underexposed then opening up again.
It's easier to see it pulsing by looking at Canon's histogram dancing left to right rather than relying on just your eyes and the camera's screen.

Hard to say where the flicker is coming from even though the aperture change kicks it off.

When Expo Override is doing it's thing, what exactly is it bumping up - shutter, aperture or ISO?
Not sure what it does exactly?

a1ex

It overrides shutter, aperture and ISO, and LiveView is put in a debug exposure mode (where it seems to turn off Canon's auto exposure algorithms). Things are configured only once, then Canon firmware does the rest. It doesn't "bump up" anything.

stagsy

Is it designed to work when the camera is in Manual mode. I'm probably doing something wrong but with it ON, I can only go down to a 33rd and up to 4000th of a second not 25th and 8000th.