Hollywood Blockbuster Curiosity Challenge

Started by extremelypoorfilmaker, November 16, 2014, 05:45:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

extremelypoorfilmaker

Hey, i was wondering, is there anyone apart from me that is planning ( OR, has already done it ) a short clip, no more than a minute or so made with magic lantern that could stand up with the big studios?

Since i stumbled across Magic Lantern what i have been driven to do is a teaser trailer that is gonna look exactly like your next hollywood blockbuster.
I mean, i see it duable with a budget of £1500 but, maybe i am just a crazy person..
What you guys think? :)

chmee

some examples:

BotWars - https://vimeo.com/95417922
Quote..We shot it in three days, 60% RED Epic redraw 5K, 35% Canon 5DMK III ML raw (with Samyang/Walimex cine lenses) and 5% GH3 for aerials.

Metal Gear Solid Philanthropy Part 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZCFN8sTm1M

i've seen fullfeatures on festivals (berlinale, germany) done with h.264 canon-bodies. do you wanna see more cg? what does it mean "stand up with the big studios"? technically? in terms of content and story? you'll find a lot of movies/teasers/shorts done with magiclantern showing technically ok and/or with great idea.

[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

extremelypoorfilmaker

Hey! First of all, thanks for the reply! :)

In second, thanks a lot for the link you posted, the botwars was amazing.. But, i hardly doubt that were able to pull that trailer for £1500 :) And if they did.. oh well, i am paying them to develop the script i have got! :D

What i meant with: "standing up with the big studios" it can be interpretade as a mixture of all things you said. (Technically etc.) How can i put it.. A clip that even thought has been made independetly feels like a £100 million :) Maybe it's just me havin trouble writing exactly what i mean .. English is not my first language, after all.. And, hey, if you can direct me towards all this amazing movies/teasers/short please do!

chmee

language is no problem, we are all children of this world and magiclantern users :) About hollywood-quality. its not only about the camera, its about learning to script a story, knowing about lightsettings, about postpro and a lot more - its finally a work, no one can cope alone with to "stand up" with the big studios.

here's the "making of" for the first example - https://vimeo.com/100123636

regards chmee
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

extremelypoorfilmaker

Of course, it is not only the camera.. there too many things to list! :) and people! People specially! movies are a people business! No man alone can achive greatness! It's all team work! :) That's the main thing i am doing. Gathering people willing to do, gathering gear and gathering money! And i am incredibly gratefull to the whole magic lantern community. In all honesty, magic lantern was the final push i needed to dedicate myself to making movies. two years ago i had a recording studio, but i alwas loved movies. Once i found out that for £1000 you could get "the same" quality you would get for £40000 i was sold.

The post was intened to satisfy my curiosity, and the botwars trailer did it in part (still gota find a trailer so well made but for under £1500 (my actual speculative budget) by the way, i wanna see that movie!!

beanz

Impressive behind the scenes. A lot of work went into that.

beasone

I'm currently co-writing and producing a feature film on the Canon 50D using Magic Lantern.  To my knowledge, the only feature film to date to use the 50D, a still photo camera.

Hopefully we'll achieve the big production look we're aiming for.  We're currently doing our Kickstarter, if you'd like to help out and watch our video production journal  :)

Our Kickstarter
http://bit.ly/culminationfilm

Kharak

I don't wanna sound negative, I think its great that you make a movie on 50D

But such a big project, why not use some extra dough on a MKIII ? 100% stable and best performance
once you go raw you never go back