Toyota Land Cruiser & girls... ML RAW video

Started by andrewespuni, November 12, 2014, 11:34:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewespuni

Hello,

This is my last video. I recorded it with a t4i in raw with the unvaluable help of Magic Lantern. My workflow was as follow: shoot everything with a lot of care of not clipping any highlight in the focus ponts area (the damned pink dots), use batchelor3 with raw2dng_cs2x2 to extract the DNGs, develop them in After Effects with Adobe Camera Raw and exported a clip with all the videos in Black Magic's 4:4:4 10bit codec. Then I edited it in Premiere Pro, added a LUT and some grain... whoa! Takes a lot of waiting for all those operations, but I love the end result!

ML's raw option has opened a new world of possibilities for this little camera. The cons: short? record time at 2:1 1536x768 (about 14 seconds at 24fps), the chroma smoothing introduces some little artifacts, hard to notice after the compression, and it has a little aliasing depending on what you are shooting. And also all the steps needed before editing. Nothing complicated, but can get very time consuming. The pros: eeeeverything else!! Great colors, latitude, shadow recovery, detail... it blows up 1080p h264 from the camera. Even scaled up! The pros are really more important to the final image than the cons. But really have to know raw is not for everyday projects.

I'm sure you guys are going to like it!!  :P

DeafEyeJedi

Great shots. I like the grade and excellent use of natural lighting... Pretty amazing that you used a t4i... Good work!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

nikki

andrewespuni

DeafeyeJedi, glad you liked it! With raw natural lighting is really pleasing, I would have used a reflector for some shots if it was the intern h264 codec recording! But with raw you can recover a lot from the shadows and still mantain contrast.

Sorry Nikki, as I say in the title "Toyota Land Cruiser & girls" ...unfortunately there are no surfing shots!  :-[