MLV files are correct size but read "Unix Executable File" ...won't open!

Started by darklightmedia, November 10, 2014, 07:30:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darklightmedia

I am new to the forum but have been using ML for a year and never had this problem during file transfer to hard drive.

Lexar 64GB card -> Samsung 1TB hard drive.  The file reads for example  "M03-1501.MLV 2" and labeled as "Unix Executable File".

Anyone know how to fix these?

dmilligan

Kharak

I think what our Clairvoyant is trying to say is that you need to be a lot more specific..
once you go raw you never go back

darklightmedia

I'll be more specific. 

My director made the transfer from Lexar 64GB CF card to Samsung hard drive connected to a macbook air and the transfer failed because of a disconnection.  He repeated the process and selected "do not replace files" so there is a greyed image of the MLV files reading "Zero Bytes" for size AND the files of correct size for what was shot with the correct prefix except with a " 2" attached on the end of the file name.  The file type reads "Unix Unexecutable File" I need to know how to convert this file back to an MLV as it was on the CF card.  I do not have the files still on the CF card, and it was returned to the rental house.  The default application (and only application) to open the files is terminal. 

Thanks for your time and efforts ML community!

dmilligan

darklightmedia

Yes I tried renaming them to .MLV but nothing changed.  Also tried copying a file to my desktop after correcting the file extension and that also changed nothing.

dmilligan

What program do you use to convert MLV files, and does it give you some kind of error when you try to open the files?

(I recommend using MLRawViewer or MLVFS)

darklightmedia

I use MLVFS and tried that.  I also tried MLRAWVIEWER and RawMagic but no response from any program.  *Correction the hard drive is a 1 TB Seagate not Samsung, almost brand new. 

The virtual drive that mlvfs creates is just empty even after waiting a half hour.  I also tried a folder with just three of the files and same thing.

dmilligan

Open the files in a hex editor and post a screen shot of the beginning of the file

darklightmedia

Here is the first corrupt file on my hard drive, "M03-1452.MLV 2" which is 746MB, opened with Hex Fiend v2.1.2 for Mac

dmilligan

Well at least the beginning of the file looks okay, so you're going to need to be more specific about what happens when you try to open the file with one of the programs. "no response" isn't really a valid description. Surly the program did *something*.

Change the filename so that it ends with ".MLV" instead of ".MLV 2" and then open MLRawViewer, select the file in the open file dialog and then describe exactly what happens next. If the program crashes, there will be an error log in ~/.mlrawviewer/mlrawviewer.log.

For MLVFS please describe exactly what happens. Do you see the corresponding folder in the mount directory? Is it just missing? Is it empty? Does the mount disappear (this means the program crashed, there should be a log in ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/)? MLVFS won't even try to load the MLV file unless it ends in ".MLV", so make sure you rename it.

darklightmedia

After renaming the file again just now I noticed it became an MLV file this time and opened.  For some reason I couldn't change the prefix before.  Thanks for sticking with me on this silly problem!

Kharak

once you go raw you never go back