Need Some Crop Marks for your shoot/feature?

Started by John Kesl, July 15, 2012, 08:08:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Kesl

Hi,
I've made some crop marks for my 7D lately so i am giving them to you. The Hi res are not RLE compressed for cameras that can handle them. (7D, 5DmkII, 5DmkIII?)
I Don't know how the colors will be on your camera (if it isn't a 7D). My guess is they'll be wrong. (you can try them no harm will happen, I should hope ;-p ).
Anyway.
High Res BMP (no RLE)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oaqjiz5dh4m1ral/HRBMP.zip

Lo Res BMP (RLE, via script)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hwvdsb5msue0lwo/LRBMP.zip

Enjoy

shiny

hi,thanks for your work.
i'm interested to 4/3 crop mark.i have installed your and when i open
it is in pink color.
is it normal?
can you make another two  4/3 crop mark?:
1.black with thin red border
2.like yours but with a different color(less electric).
could be ok a neutral color like 50% grey

thanks

a1ex

On the unified ML, all cropmarks are the same among all cameras and display types (ML will scale them). They only need to be in 3:2 aspect ratio.

John Kesl

For the 60D i had to run the pearl app so that i could have them compressed cause the 60d won't recognize the photoshop rle compression and for the 60d they need to be small. like 33kb or so.
jk

scrax

Quote from: John Kesl on July 17, 2012, 10:29:05 AM
For the 60D i had to run the pearl app so that i could have them compressed cause the 60d won't recognize the photoshop rle compression and for the 60d they need to be small. like 33kb or so.
jk
photoshop rle compression is not working on any camera, only the perl script is tested and working.
For how want to make a quick crop-mark,with gimp, just duplicate one on the card, modify with gimp and overwrite  it instead of saving it (i'm not sure if it will be compressed, if not use the script to compress it).
HEre more detailed info: http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Cropmarks
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

PabloFernandez

I just installed ML 2.3 on my 5D M2 and have only one cropmark. where can I get more and how do I install them?

a1ex

shiny

you have more installed.under cropmark there is a submenu that you have to active press the "Q" Tast of your camera.
i have 5d mark2 and i active submenù pressing picture style button on the camera.

PabloFernandez

Still. There's only one crop mask. the others are framing guides. Am I missing something???
But this link would have been helpfull:
http://www.sawomedia.de/magiclantern/cropmarks/

screamer

Hi guys, about cropmarks, i'm interested in do some of that. readed the guide, all clear, except that the correct way for compressing rle. This i because i have only windows, but if i understood well the only tool that works is the SztupY's "convertrle.rb". But it's for unix like os (i think). So there's a windows way to do the same? i've already done all the rest in photoshop, using the table etc.. and it already works, but if i understood well the rle compression is important, especially with 60d. Any hint/suggestion?
always trying to use the 100% of magic lantern..
Gear:
Canon 60D, all the samyang lenses, Canon 50 mm 1.4, Canon 60mm macro, Canon 70-300 usm, Sigma 4.5mm fisheye, Sigma 17-70 2.8, Canon 40mm f2.8 pancake, all the Lensbabies and a lot of other pieces, Flash metz 58 af2

screamer

i've already answered myself to my question. And for who want to do by himself cropmarks in windows now i've discovered how to do that. This is because the file convertrld.rb is a ruby script (i'm not a programmer, so i was not shure on how the hell was this script, but with a bit seraching around found it's ruby). So, for windows users, you can install ruby on your pc, i've used this: http://rubyinstaller.org/

Then, after following the procedure already described very well in the ml wiki you simply have to do this:

1. when you install tell to the installer to add ruby in your global path
2. after installing, open a console using windows key + r and typing "cmd" (this opens a command prompt)
3. drag the .rb file in the command prompt window
4. put a space in the string you have on the cmd prompt
5. drag the .bmp you want to compress in rle
6. the script create a .bmp.rle file in the same foldr of your bmp cropmark. simply delete the original, rename the new one cutting the .rle and put it in you magic lantern cropmarks folder

enjoy :D

this is my first crompmark. I saw there's a lot of useful and fantastic and really professional crompmarks out there, so here i've done something different. This cropmark tells you the proportions of the facebook timeline cover and profile image. So in a single shot you can do a spectacular combination of cover and image profile. Simply shot, putting for example your face in the small square profile border, with a great panorama behind you :)
Then in photoshop you have to use this template and aligning/scaling your shot with the template. cut out the profile and the cover et voilà, a perfect facebook profile :))

if you need more info i'm here ;))
Gear:
Canon 60D, all the samyang lenses, Canon 50 mm 1.4, Canon 60mm macro, Canon 70-300 usm, Sigma 4.5mm fisheye, Sigma 17-70 2.8, Canon 40mm f2.8 pancake, all the Lensbabies and a lot of other pieces, Flash metz 58 af2

screamer

Gear:

Malcolm Debono

For RLE compression you can also save in GIMP. I'm using it just for compression because for some reason the cropmarks don't work in ML when compressing with Photoshop's RLE compression.
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

eikerir

could anyone reupload the cropmarks from the first two posts? they have expired and i would like to check them out, thanks in advance :)

sundried

Maybe I'm missing something, but I cannot figure out how to use these cropmarks with AJ5.9 on my 5DmII.

There is no cropmks folder, but the cfg file contains editable co-ordinates for cropmarks. However, looking at the co-ordinates for cropmarks that come with AJ5.9, the 16:9 guide, for example, the (X_high - X_low) / (Y_high-Y_low) turns out to be 2:1 (720/360), not 16:9, even though on the screen it looks like 16:9, not 2:1.

Is there something I'm not getting? Is there a way to use BMP cropmarks with AJ5.9? If not, what co-ordinates would accurately give me 16:9 and (what I need) 1.66?

I'd appreciate a response...

Thanks!

thba74

@John Kesl

please, upload the package with the colorbars again. The link is out of date.

Thank you for your efforts!
550D // Canon 1.8 50 //Tamron 2.8 17-50 // Tamron 70-300 // Lilliput 596GL-50NP/HO/Y // Rode VideoMic // AD 160 ENG Mixer // Some M42's

John Kesl

Quote from: John Kesl on July 15, 2012, 08:08:28 AM
Hi,
I've made some crop marks for my 7D lately so i am giving them to you. The Hi res are not RLE compressed for cameras that can handle them. (7D, 5DmkII, 5DmkIII?)
I Don't know how the colors will be on your camera (if it isn't a 7D). My guess is they'll be wrong. (you can try them no harm will happen, I should hope ;-p ).
Anyway.
High Res BMP (no RLE)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oaqjiz5dh4m1ral/HRBMP.zip

Lo Res BMP (RLE, via script)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hwvdsb5msue0lwo/LRBMP.zip

Enjoy

new ones. first post

thinkstopthink

John: thank you very much for that. The 16x9/2.40 was just what I was looking for!   ;D

Jon
www.jonwitsell.com

democratese

Im looking to make a dynamic symmetry overlay. Basically for framing as its alittle busy to have this on screen while shooting. I tried taking the image I found and input the color profile but the image gets alittle messy. I tried going into illustrator and recreating the image but it comes out funky even when rez'd the right size. Anyone have one or can make one off the attached?