Canon 7D Mark II

Started by Pelican, November 02, 2014, 09:55:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsengvane

Quote from: shhd on July 01, 2020, 10:20:16 PM
This place is full of arrogance
When you were unable to progress and penetrate the new Canon processors, you make excuses until you have arrived. You want everyone to be programmed ???

Ha ha, already using BMPCC 6K, not waiting ML for 7D MKII.

shhd

Hello
Please help me by answering my question
Anyone who does ML on 7D ii or 5Div
Because I own a 7D ii number of shutters only 5000
Should i wait, sell or buy used 5d iii
Please help me with your opinions
I don't want to sell 7D ii because it's new and the focus remains during the video other than 5Diii

Walter Schulz

There is no ML for 7D2 or 5D4.

tsengvane

Quote from: shhd on July 21, 2020, 04:54:22 PM
Hello
Please help me by answering my question
Anyone who does ML on 7D ii or 5Div
Because I own a 7D ii number of shutters only 5000
Should i wait, sell or buy used 5d iii
Please help me with your opinions
I don't want to sell 7D ii because it's new and the focus remains during the video other than 5Diii

Use BMPCC 6K

names_are_hard

Why don't I necro this thread?

https://i.imgur.com/apyBOfQ.mp4

Barebones port, no ML features yet.  Currently there is a significant bug around task creation that prevents important things working.  Other than that it was an easy port - while this is dual-digic, autoexec runs on the same CPU as the majority of tasks.  Some stuff is on the slave and I don't know how to run code there yet.

Card performance seems good, 80MB/s on SD by default.  The above bug stops me benchmarking in card-spanning mode, shame :)

I really like the controls and feel of this cam, certainly it's the nicest cam I own!

shhd

Hi champ, it will be amazing when it works on this camera  :-*

names_are_hard

It does work on 7D2, that's what the video is :)

shhd

Great work  :-* , but I understood that the menus work but the functions do not work. Can you test and which version is suitable for it?

Walter Schulz

Quote from: shhd on March 06, 2023, 08:23:08 PM
Can you test and which version is suitable for it?

? What does this mean? What is "it"?

kitor

Many people understand ML as "raw recoding", not as "a framework for modifications of EOS firmware".
Thus it = any feature, not the fact that we are able to run menus.
Too many Canon cameras.
If you have a dead R, RP, 250D mainboard (e.g. after camera repair) and want to donate for experiments, I'll cover shipping costs.

shhd

I mean version 7D ii which version should the camera be stacked to install ML, and is it possible to install a version that works at least raw video recording

Walter Schulz

"At least". LOL
Again: Menu works. Almost nothing else does. And "at least" is far, far, far away. Some features require a major breakthrough because Digic 6 works very, very different compared to Digic 4, 5.

names_are_hard

Quote from: shhd on March 06, 2023, 09:06:54 PM
I mean version 7D ii which version should the camera be stacked to install ML, and is it possible to install a version that works at least raw video recording

Now you are asking a useful question :)

There is no raw video recording at this time.  FW version is 1.1.2.

tsengvane

heder

I finally got a "little" time to get started, in between cleaning poo from 5 cats, making dinner for 2 kids (wife was working), Cleaning up after 2 kids (refusing to help), cleaning the bathroom, driving forth and back to my old mom, just to switch off her broken fire alarm,  ::). Anyone that wants to help out porting the 7D2 are warmly welcome, we might actually have some progress in the next month years, and helping out now is the right time.

My software was 1.1.3 and we're building for 1.1.2 so I needed a downgrade. I'm on linux, and EOS utility 3.0 does not run on linux/wine. I took 1.1.2 and put in on a 32 GB highspeed card, but the camera refused to downgrade (it actually checked the version within the FIR update file) and told me that I has the newest version!. I then renamed the file - pretending it was version 1.1.4, but the camera still refused. Then I took a old slow 8GB card and put the 1.1.2 on it, rename it to look like 1.1.4 and now it wanted to start the update procedure, but it failed right away after pressing ok (some odd message). The solution was to resort to the "dual card - switch card when pressing ok" trick. The final solution was:

My downgrade to 1.1.2  :o

1. Charge your battery to full capacity.
2. Get two CF card, one 8GB and one 32GB.
3. Put Canon firmware "FIR" file for 1.1.2 on both card and change the last digic "2" to "4" in both filenames.
4. Put the 8GB into the camera and initiate the upgrade procedure - but dont press "OK"
5. At the very same time you press "OK" open the card door.
6. Switch the CF cards to the 32GB and close the card door.
7. Wait a minute until the camera allows you to upgrade.
8. Verify that firmware version is 1.1.2
Btw. If your camera break, you get to keep both pieces

Upgrade to 1.1.2:
- Follow canons instructions .. - Follow canons instructions ..

ROM dumper:
- Available at the portable rom dumper page, remember to use a SD card (CF does not work)
- Worked fine, screen was red =>

Enable Bootloader flag:
Somewhere in this thread

... some text here ..

names_are_hard

You've got a large workforce, you just need to get them motivated.  Training the cats to make dinner might be the place to start.

We can update 7D2 version to 1.1.3 if you prefer, I think I picked 1.1.2 because it's the version before they implement downgrade "prevention".  Wouldn't take long to update it, it's a barebones port at present.

I can certainly help with porting work, though I don't recall if I have an easy cable connection for 7D2 uart.  Since it's my work so far, if you have any questions I feel obliged to answer them :)  You might want to follow the Discord link at the top of the page, it's better for quick questions than the forum (it's like IRC but easier to use).

heder

Quote from: names_are_hard on October 11, 2023, 03:12:35 PM
You've got a large workforce, you just need to get them motivated.  Training the cats to make dinner might be the place to start.

We can update 7D2 version to 1.1.3 if you prefer, I think I picked 1.1.2 because it's the version before they implement downgrade "prevention".  Wouldn't take long to update it, it's a barebones port at present.

I can certainly help with porting work, though I don't recall if I have an easy cable connection for 7D2 uart.  Since it's my work so far, if you have any questions I feel obliged to answer them :)  You might want to follow the Discord link at the top of the page, it's better for quick questions than the forum (it's like IRC but easier to use).

4 tiny cats :D will soon have a new home (two weeks left, before we are allowed to pass them to new owners)

Discord, sure, I actually wanted to get on discord, but I ran out of time. I only have "real" time on Tuesdays and Sundays (other days .. it's at most "ghidra" reading days), I'll try to sneak in from time to time, so we can have a discussion.

I prefer to keep "1.1.2" as it. More workload is not preferred.

... some text here ..

Walter Schulz

About downgrade: Apollo7 found the door method some time ago. A1ex took a look into it and had a concern about possible hickup (possibly bricking the cam) and refined the routine. It is refered as "Method B" and we propagate this procedure only. Seen in installation instructions for 5D3.
No worries were reported so far. Hari made a video tutorial.
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=24926.msg231788#msg231788

Introducing a third method ... may we rather not?

names_are_hard

Okay, 1.1.2 it is - easier for me too.  I'm currently working on making MMU patching nicer, but hopefully will chat to you Sunday :)

PS I request pictures of tiny cats.

heder

Working, stumbled over some strings 

ds "VRAM_InitializeVramPath LVx10"
ds "VRAM_InitializeVramPath LVAf90fps"
ds "VRAM_InitializeVramPath LVx1"
ds "VRAM_InitializeVramPath LVx1Ta10"
ds "VRAM_InitializeVramPath LVx5"
ds "VRAM_InitializeVramPath FHD30P(FLICK)"
ds "VRAM_InitializeVramPath FHD60P"
ds "VRAM_InitializeVramPath FHD30P"
ds "VRAM_InitializeVramPath DIORAMA_FHD"     
ds "VRAM_InitializeVramPath 720P60P"
ds "VRAM_InitializeVramPath VGA"
ds "VRAM_InitializeVramPath DIORAMA_VGA"

What is DIORAMA (?) also interesting with the 90 fps
... some text here ..

names_are_hard

From the manual, one of the Creative Filters is "Miniature effect", which "Creates a diorama effect".  Might be that.

LVAf90fps suggests AF refreshes at 90fps, or at least has one mode to do this.  Seems plausible.

names_are_hard

Fixed the task problem, which was embarrassingly simple in the end.  The OS defines a maximum number of tasks, and this cam happens to be quite close to that limit.  By coincidence, ML tasks were just below that limit before running the benchmarks, and so the second one triggered an assert.

The limit is defined during OS initialisation, and we control that during boot.  I've added an option to increase the task limit, which can be defined per cam:
https://github.com/reticulatedpines/magiclantern_simplified/commit/9df8de520ff38e47386404a10a262062cb7ab09e

Benchmarks look quite promising:
https://i.imgur.com/7bbLlNv.png

Walter Schulz

And that's without SD overclocking (no idea if it will work on 7D2).

heder

Good job. Amazing speed.  8), looks real promissing.
... some text here ..

mlrocks

Quote from: names_are_hard on November 08, 2023, 09:19:09 PM
Fixed the task problem, which was embarrassingly simple in the end.  The OS defines a maximum number of tasks, and this cam happens to be quite close to that limit.  By coincidence, ML tasks were just below that limit before running the benchmarks, and so the second one triggered an assert.

The limit is defined during OS initialisation, and we control that during boot.  I've added an option to increase the task limit, which can be defined per cam:
https://github.com/reticulatedpines/magiclantern_simplified/commit/9df8de520ff38e47386404a10a262062cb7ab09e

Benchmarks look quite promising:
https://i.imgur.com/7bbLlNv.png

wow cf 135mb/s sd 80 mb/s.
if ml works on 7d2, it easily betters 5d3, can do 4k or even 6k 1x1.