Canon 7D Mark II

Started by Pelican, November 02, 2014, 09:55:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wesoliveiraaa

Hello guys! I know nothing about porting or how ML realy works on canon firmware, but I have a 7DMKII and desire to learn. So how can I help you? It's too very easy just to give up and change my cam or just buy a external recorder, but is that easy street isn't always the best route. If I can help you, please, let me know.

Thank you so much!

Walter Schulz

Dual processor cams might be hard nuts to crack. 7D port (Dual Digic 4) was several years late because of this and it's the only ML supported dual processor cam right now. Still missing some features available for other Digic 4 cams, though.
And there is no full Digic 6 ML port available right now.

Sounds like fighting the end boss in level 1.

For starters it might be a good idea to lower the bar with a cam like 750D/760D/80D. But I'm not a programmer/developer.

Anyway: Lookup https://twitter.com/autoexec_bin/status/954662020271493120 for starting guide.

ML4Real

Hi everyone - I hope this message finds everyone in good spirits.... I'm a videographer who owns this camera. I have been watching this thread for quite some time and I'm wondering if someone can kindly give a project status update on where you all officially stand with developing ML for Canon 7D Mark II.

Is this still active? Do you need anything from the community to move forward?

Thank you

names_are_hard

This thread is where updates are most likely to be posted.  If you don't see any, then probably no progress has been made.

The most needed thing is people experienced in reverse engineering, embedded systems, ARM asm and C.

KenSoftTH

Just come here to post final update. I bought the Canon 90D and I'm not going to work on this anymore.

Seriously guys, anyone who have knowledge on this field can earn serious amount of bucks and it doesn't worth their hassle working on the custom firmware for free. They're better off spending their money on the camera that does the work in the first place.

Like others said, it just not worth it.

ML4Real

@KenSoftTH,

I'm confused. Who exactly are you posting a final update to? What exactly are/were you doing here?

Wlad81

@KenSoftTH,

Not every man on this forum can earn "serious amount of bucks" and invest it on the camera. Which camera, by the way? There are quite a lot of good Canon cameras that can shoot raw, using ML, in highest quality previously available when using profi cinema cameras only. And these Canon cameras cost much, much less than those profi cinema cameras - I mean, Arri Alexa, Red (any), etc. There are cheap SD, CF cards (comparing to the profi cards or whatever), cheap lenses anyone can get great videos with. You can make almost any kind of image using raw from these Canon cameras, and this, may I call it, ML RAW SYSTEM costs much, much less money than any of those professional cinema raw systems. OK, this is all just my POV, but anyone already can make documentaries using ML raw. Using their own cameras, not the rented ones. And I want to thank all programmers that are working on this great project that, undoubtedly, has great future. I'm from Russia, for instance, and we have hard times by now (economical crisis, dictatorship, etc), but even now (!) I can afford myself shooting ML raw in highest possible quality, and I'm going to further evolve my raw system, because, again, I CAN afford it myself without investing tens of thousands of bucks into it. Just as I can afford myself to record sound (music) on tape from the mikes - and again, without those great investments. I can get great professionally looking picture for some hundreds of bucks with the camera that costed me... um... $200 with lens (!). Of course, there are BMCC, BMPCC, etc, but, to my mind, ML raw is better and even more cheap. ML is free of charge, by the way, isn't it great?
Canon EOS 5D Mk III + Canon 24-105 F/4 L IS USM + SanDisk Exreme Pro 64 GB (SD, ML Nightly.2021Feb07.5D3113) + SanDisk Extreme Pro 128 GB (CF).

Frayfray

that sounds right not every person can afford a new camera but should have access to raw and all the goodies that happen in ml, i wish and hope  for the development of digic 6 7 8, while i wait i play with the current developments in ML. the best is to have some older and new  models if possible,you have to be a canon user to understand .this been going on even in the 35mm film camera era. eos 650 ,620, 630 eos 1.for those people that don't have programming skills and are waiting i would like to encourage the talented individuals and Thank them for there time and effort ,without this there would not be any magic lantern. it is better to encourage and be patient .

Wlad81

I meant to say that ML can be used professionally.

The next step for ML developers is 6, 7 and 8 Digics. If they would make, say, EOS R work with ML then much greater possibilities would open because it's card controller supports writing speed up to 200 MB/s, and that is huge speed, so many tricks would be available such as (IMHO) 4K 50 FPS or something around 6K. Man that will be a great camera!

This camera has two Digic 6 and CF 120 MB/s, so it's great, too.
Canon EOS 5D Mk III + Canon 24-105 F/4 L IS USM + SanDisk Exreme Pro 64 GB (SD, ML Nightly.2021Feb07.5D3113) + SanDisk Extreme Pro 128 GB (CF).

Frayfray

Well I think that u can use ML current models in a pro. level but you would want few cameras that do the same thing that way you ..have control over your production it really matters on what type of work your doing like weddings would work only for some of the footage but if you were to do music videos or short film you can control your actors and scene etc. i see all type of videos with ml from car to anything .so much out there just do a search on different plat forms and ideas well come .plus the footage from raw is beast even if it is 239:1 1736x726 like from t5i 700d with a experimental build https://builds.magiclantern.fm/experiments.html or eos m with danne build you can get 2k raw upscale to 4k in post ..you have to start playing with current models and new build will come in time . plus i think dual digic will take much longer development than single and more people have other models 7d mark2 is a sports photographer camera the more specialized camera the less development numbers game !

tsengvane

@ KenSoftTH

yes, I agreed! your right! Still thanks you hacking trying!

I'm useing BMPCC 6K with speed booster x1.2 ,but still waiting for 7DMKII' ML.

Hope someone can hacking it。

7dmk2 is really a good camera for 2K raw video shooting.

shhd

Canon has managed to protect its product   >:(

Wlad81

Quote from: tsengvane on June 08, 2020, 07:44:14 PM
still waiting for 7DMKII' ML.

Hope someone can hacking it。
Me too, and I hope so too.

menoc

Hummm... I last checked this in 2015.

KenSoftTH

Quote from: Wlad81 on May 05, 2020, 12:00:26 AM
@KenSoftTH,

Not every man on this forum can earn "serious amount of bucks" and invest it on the camera. Which camera, by the way? There are quite a lot of good Canon cameras that can shoot raw, using ML, in highest quality previously available when using profi cinema cameras only. And these Canon cameras cost much, much less than those profi cinema cameras - I mean, Arri Alexa, Red (any), etc. There are cheap SD, CF cards (comparing to the profi cards or whatever), cheap lenses anyone can get great videos with. You can make almost any kind of image using raw from these Canon cameras, and this, may I call it, ML RAW SYSTEM costs much, much less money than any of those professional cinema raw systems. OK, this is all just my POV, but anyone already can make documentaries using ML raw. Using their own cameras, not the rented ones. And I want to thank all programmers that are working on this great project that, undoubtedly, has great future. I'm from Russia, for instance, and we have hard times by now (economical crisis, dictatorship, etc), but even now (!) I can afford myself shooting ML raw in highest possible quality, and I'm going to further evolve my raw system, because, again, I CAN afford it myself without investing tens of thousands of bucks into it. Just as I can afford myself to record sound (music) on tape from the mikes - and again, without those great investments. I can get great professionally looking picture for some hundreds of bucks with the camera that costed me... um... $200 with lens (!). Of course, there are BMCC, BMPCC, etc, but, to my mind, ML raw is better and even more cheap. ML is free of charge, by the way, isn't it great?

Go re-read my post. I know that not everyone has serious buck to afford those camera. I said that anyone who has the knowledge in ARM microprocessor or VLSI will earn serious buck and won't spend their time doing the hacking unless they are passion about it. You guy are expecting to do 4K, 6K or whatever, but there are many contraint in both hardware and software that developer need to overcome and many time it's just better off buying the camera that has that feature in the first place instead as it would be more stable in most cases. I'm not saying that it's impossible to do it, but it does require more brain power than ever before as Canon implement more and more lockdown on its firmware.

shhd

Quote from: KenSoftTH on June 30, 2020, 07:39:54 PM
I'm not saying that it's impossible to do it, but it does require more brain power than ever before as Canon implement more and more lockdown on its firmware.

you are right
Canon is protecting its products and no one will be able to operate ML on any recent release of Canon cameras

names_are_hard

Canon hasn't added any protection measures.  We can already run code on Digic 6, 7 and 8 cameras.  I don't know where this idea is coming from.

KenSoftTH

Quote from: names_are_hard on July 01, 2020, 02:00:22 AM
Canon hasn't added any protection measures.  We can already run code on Digic 6, 7 and 8 cameras.  I don't know where this idea is coming from.

I used the wrong word. I should have said that Canon changed to newer CPU architecture that are more complex to reverse engineer. But by switching to newer ARM processor does in fact requires modder to redo almost everything from scratch.
Sorry, but I was a little bit confusing when I wrote the post above.

tsengvane

Quote from: names_are_hard on July 01, 2020, 02:00:22 AM

Yes, maybe you can Hack 7DmkII by youself, Go ahead!

Danne

Or maybe you can do it yourself. What's stopping you? We need doers, not beggars.

shhd

This place is full of arrogance
When you were unable to progress and penetrate the new Canon processors, you make excuses until you have arrived. You want everyone to be programmed ???

Walter Schulz

For several years a1ex was adamant about being unable to supply new ports and asking for support. I'm unable to call this arrogance
This is supposed to be a community not a company.

shhd

Somewhere here I read a topic regarding support and donation and you or one of the moderators told us that the a1ex refuses to do so

Me and many here are ready to donate to a certified account so we can get Ml on 7Dii and 5Dvi

Danne

There are many reasons to be careful around donations. There´s always risks when money involved. Both a1ex and others have explained this multiple times. Maybe you ignored those parts.

Walter Schulz

"A1ex asking for support". Okay, there might be a hammer/nail problem in perception. What I meant: Asking for *people* able to help by working on the project or at least willing to learn programming.