Canon 7D Mark II

Started by Pelican, November 02, 2014, 09:55:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hindra

Is there anyone in or around the Seattle, WA area that would like to collaborate on this? I really am ignorant when it comes to much of this stuff but I would like to help and get ML on the 7D2.
SL1 100D.100A - 5D - 7D2 - 5D3 1.2.3

Walter Schulz

7D2 is probably the last Digic 6 cam you want to start deployment with because it's dual processor architecture is known to cause major headache.
Some people are working on the first Digic 6 port for other cams.
You probably have to wait long, long time to see ML for 7D2. In the meantime: Don't hold your breath!

hindra

Quote from: Walter Schulz on April 15, 2017, 06:44:13 AM
7D2 is probably the last Digic 6 cam you want to start deployment with because it's dual processor architecture is known to cause major headache.
Some people are working on the first Digic 6 port for other cams.
You probably have to wait long, long time to see ML for 7D2. In the meantime: Don't hold your breath!

Yes, I am aware. I'm seeking someone local that I can work with and she/he can show me and work with me in person on the 7d2. If working on other Digic 6 first would make the 7d2 easier we can start there.

Walter Schulz

If you find someone willing to go with Digic 6: This offer hasn't been taken yet.

hindra

Can any digic 6 camera work? Can I go buy a cheaper PowerShot? I wouldn't mind if that bricked. I've got a 7d2 too.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: hindra on April 16, 2017, 10:20:14 PMCan I go buy a cheaper PowerShot?
Powershots and M3 do use other code. That's CHDK realm.

Ant123

and M5, M6, M10...
M3 and M10 already run CHDK  :P

khrisgarcia

FYI. New firmware v1.1.1 just came out. Minor changes.

Firmware Version 1.1.1 incorporates the following improvement and fix:
Enhances reliability of communications when transferring images using Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E7 (A/B/C/D/E).
Corrects the phenomenon of Err70 which occurs with certain combinations of settings.
Corrects the phenomenon in which in very rare cases the shutter can no longer be released.
Enhances reliability of operations for specific custom function settings.

Read more: http://www.canonrumors.com#ixzz4flBiPYCW

Walter Schulz

DigitalVeil

Thought I'd check in on this today.  Not that I expected there to be any news on this front, it's just still disappointing this camera most likely wont get ML when it has so much potential.  Oh well
Glass: EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF-S 55-250mm IS STM, EF-S 18-55mm IS STM

ddelreal

Quote from: DigitalVeil on May 27, 2017, 09:16:30 PM
Thought I'd check in on this today.  Not that I expected there to be any news on this front, it's just still disappointing this camera most likely wont get ML when it has so much potential.  Oh well

Agreed.

Walter Schulz

And firmware 1.1.2 in on the road.
Corrects a problem after updating from 1.0.5 or earlier to 1.1.1.
Problem does not happen after updating from 1.1.0 to 1.1.1.

Link to Canon USA

a1ex

Ready to enable the boot flag: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=17360.msg189584#msg189584

BOOTU7D2.FIR

(still don't know how to jump to main firmware, but...)

Xcorp

Registered an account just to say great work A1ex, keep it up :D

JagoUK

Quote from: a1ex on September 03, 2017, 10:04:06 PM
Ready to enable the boot flag: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=17360.msg189584#msg189584

BOOTU7D2.FIR

(still don't know how to jump to main firmware, but...)
Hi Alex

Nice to see you trying 7dmkii again.
Just to let you know I tried your bootflag enabler. It ran but didn't set bootflag  :(

a1ex

The BOOTU7D2.FIR was a dummy version; it did not actually enable the boot flag, but only printed what it's going to do. To enable it:

BOOTF7D2.FIR

This will modify your camera.

After enabling the boot flag in the camera, you may run:

- the portable display test (copy autoexec.bin and make your card bootable)
- the portable ROM dumper (not working on 7D2, figure out why)
- anything compiled from the recovery branch (it runs from bootloader context); check Makefile.user.default for options
- the digic6-dumper branch (you will have to modify the code and experiment - it won't boot in its current state)

Have fun!

@JagoUK: I still need a copy of the 7D2 booloader (currently I have the blinked one from you, with errors); maybe you can try g3gg0's graphical dumper from the recovery branch?

JagoUK

Quote from: a1ex on September 19, 2017, 01:55:14 AM
The BOOTU7D2.FIR was a dummy version; it did not actually enable the boot flag, but only printed what it's going to do. To enable it:

BOOTF7D2.FIR

This will modify your camera.

After enabling the boot flag in the camera, you may run:

- the portable display test (copy autoexec.bin and make your card bootable)
- the portable ROM dumper (not working on 7D2, figure out why)
- anything compiled from the recovery branch (it runs from bootloader context); check Makefile.user.default for options
- the digic6-dumper branch (you will have to modify the code and experiment - it won't boot in its current state)

Have fun!

@JagoUK: I still need a copy of the 7D2 booloader (currently I have the blinked one from you, with errors); maybe you can try g3gg0's graphical dumper from the recovery branch?

Hi  Alex, yes found the F version and enabled flag  ;D

Tested on camera and confirm dumper didn't work btw, i'll see if I can reset my environment to compile the graphical dumper.

JagoUK

Useful bit of info for anyone else testing.

With the autoexec.bin files they will freeze on a pink screen (Even without turning power on) unless you do a specific sequence to load.

Open battery compartment.
Eject battery.
Open memory card compartment.
Remove memory card.
Reinsert memory card.
Close memory card compartment.
Insert battery.
Close battery compartment.
Turn on camera.

Any other sequence including skipping ejecting SD card results in a pink screen with no text.

Tested with

Portable display
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14732.0

Portable rom dumper (Pink screen then goes to a black backlit screen)
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=16534.0

EDIT:
Interestingly the CPUINFO doesn't work from here
http://a1ex.magiclantern.fm/debug/portable-cpuinfo/autoexec.bin
Just gives the first two lines of text
CHDK CPU info for 0x289 7D2
-----------------------------------------

Then nothing.

The FIR file did work ok. Not sure if 7D2 is not enabled in source though.

eastonpa

Hey, I decided to poke around and I got this.

What does it mean when everything except the firmware file loads fine?

Here is what I will contribute:

Thanks!

renzart

I want magic lantern on my new 7Dm2  :(

Walter Schulz

Welcome to ML development! You know where to start, I suppose.

renzart

I am not a techie, but i keep coming back here to see if there is any development happening to ML build for 7dm2  :-\
Thanks to everyone for all your hardwork. Hoping this camera will become a beast someday with ML.
:D

DeafEyeJedi

You could try selling your 7D2 and perhaps use the $ for two or three decent used 7D bodies. Recently 10-12-bit was just finally made possible to record on it and maybe Lossless eventually will quirk its way into this ageless gem!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

renzart

Let me wait for sometime.  :)
If nothing happens. Sadly i will switch to sony a6500.  :-\

JagoUK

Well I decided to pop back and check in after I found a CF card.

I've tested the portable binary display tester (Autoexec.bin) which now works

I've tested the portable rom dumper (May 2018) which now displays info but still doesn't dump
ROMBASEADD Cycles down to 0xFE0A0000

As for the CF card (Which is the primary card in the camera)
When I run DMPD-7D2.fir from the CF as opposed to the SD card I get a graphical glitch at the top of the screen like it is reading through data (Lasts about 30 seconds and wrapped around the screen)

If I can find a CF card reader i'll test the PRD on it given that it finds the ROMBASEADDR..