Canon 7D Mark II

Started by Pelican, November 02, 2014, 09:55:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Infraspace on March 01, 2016, 09:11:18 PM
The 70D records full HD without ML? If you by continuous mean more than 4GB files thats not really an issue as it probably splits the file into multiple ones? At least my 7D2 does that.

Look, that's the problem with naming a cam in particular because now your case is farther away from being discussed and you are in a "Cam A vs. cam B" discussion" and - because you are missing the point - opened a third discussion about RAW/MLV recording (and this is unknown territory for you right now).
Please drop it right now. 70D is just a lousy replacement for 50D. Period. And, please, end of this part of discussion right now! You are losing ground.

And you opened the fourth front, because going into stable vs. nightly discussion. Drop that, too!

cmccullum

I would if I could. But I simply cant invest the time to learn coding. And i know we cant the demand that the devs spend their time on the ML project either, so I do understand if they do not have the time needed. But if they just made a "Final" stable build for some of the older cameras and then moved on to the newer ones I think that would be the best solution over time.

You CAN invest the time. If it is important enough to you, you can sacrifice other things, and spend time to learn how to code and port to new cameras. It simply isn't worth it to you. Maybe the devs just don't WANT to work on the new cameras. To me, that's a perfectly valid reason for them not doing so, and everyone who isn't willing to help should stop trying to convince them to give MORE.

The best solution here is for people who care enough to jump on board and join the devs

Infraspace

Working as a freelance videographer i really cant. At least not right now. But yea, if they dont want they shouldnt do it.

josepvm

The 70D records full HD without ML? If you by continuous mean more than 4GB files thats not really an issue as it probably splits the file into multiple ones? At least my 7D2 does that.

I was talking about ML raw video recording, sorry for not stating it clearly. 70D can only record 720p raw, because the writing speed for the SD interface is limited to ~ 40MB/s, and raw video files are huge. A 50D, with a fast CF card, is able to record 1080p raw video.

janjan

Quote from: cmccullum on March 01, 2016, 09:24:39 PM
You CAN invest the time. If it is important enough to you, you can sacrifice other things, and spend time to learn how to code and port to new cameras. It simply isn't worth it to you. Maybe the devs just don't WANT to work on the new cameras. To me, that's a perfectly valid reason for them not doing so, and everyone who isn't willing to help should stop trying to convince them to give MORE.

I am EE engineer and telling someone to learn code is like telling you to design a computer chip - it is not that easy!
I totally agree it takes time and time=money, is it not so?
I don't expect anyone to invest that much time on trying to decode the digic6 and rewrite the code and as we all agree, no one is doing it right now and probably will never do.
So I still think the only option to "convince" someone to do it is by giving him/her an incentive.
And the donations people argued for and against here, is one kind of an incentive.

Walter Schulz

People here suggesting incentives as a solution after they heard about devs opinion: 1 (you)

janjan

Don't get me wrong!
I don't argue with any dev. It's their choice and we can only thank them for the work they've done so far, and for FREE!!!

I am saying, that if this project is due to die, which is the only conclusion possible since no one will continue developing it, then it does not leave too many options.
Canon will never do this! it's against their interest. They DO NOT want to sell you a chip camera with the power of an expensive one.
Of course they can but this is all about marketing and money. They disable some code in the cheaper models or not bother developing it on purpose.

People here are not trying to ruin your ideology.
What people are saying here is that if no one is willing to develop new code, they are willing to pay for it.

KelvinK

Quote from: josepvm on March 01, 2016, 08:07:11 PM

Posting hundreds of complains saying "Why there is no ML for my cam?" in this forum do not help to get to this job done automatically. We need more people coding, testing and debugging, no more people complaining.

You're not fully correct there. I think there're more people like me, who didn't buy new Canons only because there's no dev yet who at least could think about try to port ML. It's recursive. Give us a hope, I'm sure there will more people for testing and debugging at least.

Quote from: josepvm on March 01, 2016, 08:07:11 PM

I may be biased also, but biased to have fun experimenting with inexpensive second-hand cameras. But I think that if someone wants more features for the latest Canon cameras, he should ask Canon. The Canon guys can access ML code, it is public, and they could implement ML's features in their cams easily if they want.  It's very difficult for a reverse engineered and volunteer based project to catch up with latest commercial products, that land in the market at such fast rate.

Canon will never implement any most important features of ML by two reasons. First they're maniacal paranoid about anything that can cannibalize their cinema line cameras. (No focus peaking in 1DX II, unbelievable LOL in 20216 but true). Second they would never risk run any code that push camera processor to the max and as follow has small, but still a chance to break the camera.
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

cmccullum

Quote from: janjan on March 02, 2016, 07:47:38 AM
I am EE engineer and telling someone to learn code is like telling you to design a computer chip - it is not that easy!
I totally agree it takes time and time=money, is it not so?
I don't expect anyone to invest that much time on trying to decode the digic6 and rewrite the code and as we all agree, no one is doing it right now and probably will never do.
So I still think the only option to "convince" someone to do it is by giving him/her an incentive.
And the donations people argued for and against here, is one kind of an incentive.

I never said it was easy to learn (but don't forget that all of the current ML code, and the knowledge of the devs is readily on hand for anyone starting this project). If it was I would just learn and develop the stuff myself just to end this! The thing that I'm saying is that if a person wants something bad enough, they will take the necessary steps to get said thing. If this person is not willing to take those steps then they do not want the thing badly enough. That is the simple part.

People want something for nothing. Funny thing is that the ML team has given them exactly that, and they want more for nothing.
As far as people "willing to pay", the price tag is that of their camera of choice that already has the features ML makes available (don't forget those exist)

Walter Schulz

Quote from: janjan on March 02, 2016, 08:14:47 AM
I don't argue with any dev.

You have to.
- Devs told to drop out if incentives are involved.
- You insist in paying is a solution for lack of resources.

It has been told to you several times. You won't accept it.

KelvinK

Donation was discussed so many times here and there as path to nowhere. But why not look on it from other side, like donation to buy camera for dev(s) to start work with? Or it's the same?
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

Walter Schulz

There have been several crowd-funding actions (usual crowd-funding sites not involved) in the past. Cameras and very, very expensive debugging tool licences, for example.
It was never a problem and will not be a problem (IMHO) for the community to pile up more money to cover such items.

Donations won't change the problem and the problem still is
No developer/maintainer available for porting and long term support.
See reply #29 ...

janjan

I understand all this but it does not change the situation.
No dev will take this job because it takes a LOT of time and, sorry to write this again, but time = money.
No new cameras will ever be supported by ML (probably) which will eventually kill the project.
Can we agree on this?

I am not here to convince anyone to do anything he or she does not wish to, especially not on their free time.

Asking people to learn code and reverse engineer Canon code is an option but a very unlikely one.
The tools and the code here cannot be use for the new processor else they would have been already used.

Can you offer any solution to stop the (slow) death of this project?

Walter Schulz

Quote from: janjan on March 02, 2016, 09:26:20 AM
No dev will take this job because it takes a LOT of time and, sorry to write this again, but time = money.
Sorry, I end this here. Stop talking to me.
In the future I will just respond more of this stuff coming from you by just pointing to dmilligan's answer because it will cover most of it.
http://magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=16642.msg162215#msg162215

Quote from: dmilligan on February 12, 2016, 11:01:04 PM
This is not how it works here.

There are plenty of old threads about ML and money. Here's one with some good responses: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6367

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6367.msg49861#msg49861

But if you actually post your request, and it's reasonable and possible, it might actually get done.

janjan

Hey, no need to get mad.

We all love ML and all we try to do is get some hope regarding the continuation of this great project.

Audionut

Locking this thread until someone PM's to say they are porting to this camera, or I remember at some future stage to open it again.

This development project doesn't need more opinions. 
Willing and able people are the only thing this development project has ever needed.  If you're willing and able to learn some code, or help with a bunch of other stuff that doesn't need coding skills, have some fun and like cameras, then this is probably a good project for you.  If you can't do that, then the least you can do is cease with all the dire claims about the projects pending doom, and then feigning innocence when someone gets frustrated that it's taken thirteen posts for you to get the point.

Cheers.

a1ex

Some recent findings from CHDK: https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php?topic=11316.msg128643#msg128643

At a quick glance, their findings seem to apply to 7D2 as well.

I still don't know the LED address, but I'm starting to understand the firmware well enough to adapt ML boot process and create a ROM dumper. If somebody helps me with a really boring task, I might have it ready pretty soon.

What I need: in arm-mcr.h, we have B_INSTR and BL_INSTR for encoding the two ARM instructions. I need the same macros for Thumb-2 instructions B.W and BLX.W.

You guessed: I'm actually looking for somebody familiar with (or willing to learn) Thumb assembly to help with this port.

ddelreal

Keeping my eyes and ears open for coders, might know somebody that can help. I'll keep you posted.

goldenchild9to5

ddelreal

hindra

I don't know how to code. I'm willing to help. I own a 7d2. Where can I go to start learning thumb assembly?

I have in the past messed with Bosch engine management, engine tuning.
SL1 100D.100A - 5D - 7D2 - 5D3 1.2.3

DeafEyeJedi

@a1ex - Got a buddy here who's a coder. Just asked for his permission to participant on this port and he gave me a thumbs up. PM me if you want his contacts.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

a1ex

If anyone is willing to contribute, just do it. It's open source ;)

Pelican

Quote from: a1ex on May 26, 2016, 08:07:31 PM
What I need: in arm-mcr.h, we have B_INSTR and BL_INSTR for encoding the two ARM instructions. I need the same macros for Thumb-2 instructions B.W and BLX.W.
I don't know what is .W at the end of B and BLX but uncoditional B is 0b11100ooooooooooo where oo..oo is the offset/2 (+-2KB,-2048 to +2046)
so the macro is something like this
#define B_THUMB(pc,dest) \
    ( 0xE000 \
    | ((( ((uint16_t)dest) - ((uint16_t)pc) - 4 ) >> 1) & 0x7FF) \
    )

the BLX is two 16 bit thumb instructions 0b11110ooooooooooo and 0b11101sssssssssss where oo..oo is the upper 11 bit of offset and ss..ss is the lower 11 bit of the offset (the last bit must be 0)
#define BLX_THUMB(pc,dest) \
    ( 0xF000E800 \
    | (((( ((uint32_t)dest) - ((uint32_t)pc) - 4 ) >> 12) & 0x7FF) << 16) \
    | ((( ((uint32_t)dest) - ((uint32_t)pc) - 4 ) >> 1) & 0x7FF) \
    )
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down