Canon 7D Mark II

Started by Pelican, November 02, 2014, 09:55:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

budafilms

@Infraspace @kaptainkatsu

Ok, my apologies.

Greg

Quote from: kaptainkatsu on December 23, 2015, 02:25:22 AM
I'm willing to loan my second 7d2 for a few months.

What when your 7D2 will be permanently damaged by the developer?  :o

Walter Schulz

Hypothetical. It wouldn't happen because - at time of writing - no dev is able/willing to port 7D2 on top of the workload they already have.
<macro: Sermon>  Money is *not* the problem. Community funded some tools in the past without hassle. Whenever dev team asked for something they were not able to afford the forum made it happen.

If you want a port running: Get/become a maintainer willing and able to put several hundred hours into it.</macro>

ddelreal

Real bummer that nobody is working on this. The 7D Mark II would be the most amazing Raw video camera, so much potential. If I knew how to get into the firmware, I would totally get going on it myself. I sure hope more developers come on board to maintain and work on new ports.

harryprayiv

Agreed.  I feel really bad because I have recommended it to many and now I look like an idiot.  Now, I'm going to have to get an Ursa Mini 4.6K to even remotely get that same quality. 

kirum

You are welcome! Make firmware EOS 7D Mark II MagicLantern

ddelreal

Now Walter, please don't yell at me...I'm just talking here.

So, a member over at DVXUSER mentioned that he felt that Canon would soon push out a firmware update to allow 4K recording on the 7D2. His words were "Mark My Words: The Canon EOS 7D Mark II will get a firmware update adding 4K to match the Nikon D500. Way more likely than a quick correctional successor with it. Canon ain't Nikon."

Post: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?340905-Canon-1Dx-mkII-to-shoot-4k-video-5D-mkIV-not-so-much-Also-C100-4k-witin-18-months&p=1986610187&viewfull=1#post1986610187

I thought "too good to be true." Then I quickly remembered a post from page three of this thread:
QuoteChucho has just found an interesting string in the fw:
0xfe1a0912 "MemMgr (Rec4K2K) %ld %ld"

Interesting times indeed. I was really hoping for ML Raw, it would be incredible on this camera. However, my hopes are now leaning a little more towards Canon actually delivering a firmware update to allow 4K, heck, I'll even go out on a limb and hope for Canon Log. I know, dreaming right? You never know...

Infraspace

This makes me want to keep my 7D2. Been really on the fence between selling it and getting a GH4 and keeping it. These news makes me want to keep at least for a while to see if theres anything to it. Id prefer ML raw over 4K tho.

Quote from: ddelreal on February 02, 2016, 12:17:45 AM
Now Walter, please don't yell at me...I'm just talking here.

So, a member over at DVXUSER mentioned that he felt that Canon would soon push out a firmware update to allow 4K recording on the 7D2. His words were "Mark My Words: The Canon EOS 7D Mark II will get a firmware update adding 4K to match the Nikon D500. Way more likely than a quick correctional successor with it. Canon ain't Nikon."

Post: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?340905-Canon-1Dx-mkII-to-shoot-4k-video-5D-mkIV-not-so-much-Also-C100-4k-witin-18-months&p=1986610187&viewfull=1#post1986610187

I thought "too good to be true." Then I quickly remembered a post from page three of this thread:
Interesting times indeed. I was really hoping for ML Raw, it would be incredible on this camera. However, my hopes are now leaning a little more towards Canon actually delivering a firmware update to allow 4K, heck, I'll even go out on a limb and hope for Canon Log. I know, dreaming right? You never know...

hesham007

After that ''4k" rumor **crosing fingers**
Body: 7DMKII-600D.. +Glass: 50mm f/1.2 - 18-135mm stm

Infraspace

Quote from: hesham007 on February 02, 2016, 11:11:03 PM
After that ''4k" rumor **crosing fingers**

Me too. Met my first client ever asking about 4K the other day. Felt so weird to say I dont film 4K when the client owns a A7RII. Lucky for me the camera itself doesnt make a movie.

hesham007

So .... looks like sony is getting so far this time . The α6300 is a finally here :
.http://www.dpreview.com/news/3240829197/sony-announces-24mp-a6300-mirrorless-camera
24MP CMOS APS-C sensor with copper wiring
425-point on-sensor phase-detection AF system....... {{WORLD RECORD}}
11 fps continuous shooting (8fps continuous live view)
Silent shooting in continuous drive (3 fps with AF/AE)
Max ISO of 51200
4K video capture up to 100 Mbps
Phase-detect AF compatible with A-mount lenses via LA-EA3 adapter
.only for : 999 USD !!!!!!!
. i'm defiantly buying one
Body: 7DMKII-600D.. +Glass: 50mm f/1.2 - 18-135mm stm

Infraspace

Now Canon will really have to step up their game. I read somewhere that Canon struggles to put 4K in their DSLRs because of how much heat a full frame sensor produces. With the 7D2 crop sensor heat shouldnt be that big of a problem.
If nothing happens to the 7D2 soon (The rumored 4k or ML) ill have to jump ship. If can be patient enough the new RED raven is a really solid option.

Walter Schulz

"    Camera-specific discussion

Find the thread for your camera and discuss porting issues there. For raw video, please use the dedicated section below (not here)."

-> "General Chat

Chat about new camera models ("when is the 1DZmkII port coming!?!"), DSLR filmmaking accessories, your favorite (or least favorite) picture styles, tricks of the trade, and any other related topic."

or

-> Canon Rumours

Infraspace

We got kinda off topic with the A6300 but the conversation is still very much relevant to the 7D2 (4K rumors and ML progress)

Walter Schulz

Please enlight me how an unannounced firmware update will have anything to do with a 7D2 port nobody is working on.

Infraspace

This thread is for the 7D2. And we were talking about the 7D2. Also everyone here is still hoping for the 7D2 port so were talking about that as well. Theres only been like one reply not about the 7D2.

Walter Schulz

You're wrong: "Find the thread for your camera and discuss porting issues there." Talking about an non-existent firmware update doesn't fit.

It would be necessary to find a developer willing to take the burden maintaining this cam. Obviously there is none around here.

Infraspace

Okay, then im sorry for having a conversation with someone on the internet about a much needed (Or at least wanted) port.

pebenson

I purchased the Canon 7D MkII about 6 months ago. I am incredibly happy with this camera. I primarily use it for video and it serves this purpose very well compared to other Canon cameras (even when compared to the 5DmkIII) considering it has servo AF for video, audio metering and (speaking of new functionality that once was only accessible through magic lantern) also has time-lapse functionality built in. Having the added features that a Magic Lantern build for the 7dmkII brings, however, would allow this camera to do everything I need it to do. I'd especially be interested in having the option to turn peaking on and off, to assist with focusing while recording. Bulb-ramping time lapse options would be amazing, and what I was really hoping for was the ability to shoot HDR video. Finally rumors that magic lantern could unleash 4k potential on the 7DmkII would be a cherry on the top.

I bought this camera assuming Magic Lantern firmware would be developed for it, and I hope down the line developers are able to bring the firmware to the 7DmkII. It looks like developing the firmware for the 6D is taking precedence, as well as maintaining other builds. However, the 7DmkII stands to be one of the most powerful Canon cameras, especially when it comes to video, when paired with the added capabilities of magic lantern, and I hope the developers see the incredible potential here.

Without Magic Lantern for the 7DmkII, I probably would have been better off buying a Nikon D500: With the D500 I could get almost all the same standard camera features plus 4k video recording functionality at a similar price point as the 7DmkII. Magic lantern is the only thing keeping Canon competitive on the market anymore. So kudos to all the hardworking developers at Magic Lantern. And a huge thank you for all you bring to the Canon-user's universe!

Walter Schulz

Quote from: pebenson on February 12, 2016, 06:06:21 AM
and I hope the developers see the incredible potential here.

Sorry, but you're missing the point. Amazing feature sets doesn't change the fact there is no developer at hand willing/able to take the lead for this port.

mothaibaphoto

Quote from: pebenson on February 12, 2016, 06:06:21 AM
I purchased the Canon 7D MkII about 6 months ago. ....
I probably would have been better off buying a Nikon D500
Me too probably would have been better off buying 5D Mark IV... 6 months ago, and with ML preinstalled!!!

mindfull

7d mark II owner here as well.

checking here to see if any good news..but it looks dead.

is there anything we mortals can do? I could maybe try to move forward if at all possible.

but we can't waste this oportunity...

please...someone explain what can one do to help...i offer my time..any guide?

thanks

Walter Schulz

Do you have programming skills in C and assembler for embedded devices (preferable ARM) and are you willing to put several hundred hours into porting this cam? And being there after offering long time support?

mindfull

no but I can make good coffe.... :o

just thought there was something for us to do...

with all the advances done over this years in magic lantern, I thought it became easier, meaning less things to figure out..unless canon changes the whole thing and is like haven't to start from 0.

To me, i will drop support for many other cameras that might be obsolete by now..but maybe I am being selfish...I do still have t2i and t3i and 5d mark ii....

anyways..I gave it a try.

thanks

_OLLE_

Unfortunately i can't nothing about coding, and I know that you couldn't pay someone to make a firmware. This is just a guess but could a "Kickstarter" projekt be more correct? I mean a "Kickstarter" projekt for the making of the 7d2 firmware and also for other upcoming camera firmweres in the future!?

I don't try to advertise https://www.kickstarter.com/