The Moon with 3000mm lens - with a strange observation at the second attemp

Started by swinxx, November 01, 2014, 12:20:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swinxx

here are my shots with an mto-11ca russentonne 1x crop and 3x crop (3000mm) with a canon 5d mk3
i dont know what it is but at 1:35 to 1:41 something strange happens if you ask me.. check it out.. is this camera specific, or codec specific, or just ufos? :)

escho

Nice.
How did you get the 3x-crop? With a Teleconverter?
Edgar
https://sternenkarten.com/
600D, 6D, openSUSE Tumbleweed

swinxx

@escho

no. just with crop mode.
but i will try to get a good 2x teleconverter.. m42 or eos and will try to get 6000mm :)

perhaps someone can advise a good teleconverter :)

thank you
swinxx

escho

Ah, I see!
I thougt, the 3x video-crop mode is a thing, cams like my 600D can do, but not a 5D3? That is one of the reasons at the moment, I hesitate to buy a 5D3. Or is this enabled by ML?
For my teleskope, I have a TK called flatfield-converter. It´s very good, but very expensive. With this I reach a real (!) focal lenght of 10m (teleskop 2m, flatfield-converter 3x, 2 rings to extend flatfield-converter to 5x)
Edgar

Danne

Nice one Swinxx!
3x crop on 5d mark 3 gives outstanding pic quality. I suppose it is 1:1 pixel. I use it a lot with dual iso.

escho

Now, it´s clear with the crop. I didn´t realize, it was recorded as MLV. I thougt, it was MOV.
Edgar

chmee

Nice. Same thought i had yesterday, cause i got my 2x extender (120-300 2.8 + 1.4 + 2 = 840mm), but the sky was cloudy..
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

swinxx

i finished building my Solar Filter today..
here are the first results.. pretty awesome for me, although i had no chance to get those sunspots sharp. but perhaps i have to try harder :)

Danne

Levas

Good thing you say it's the sun, otherwise I would have guessed it was a white round disk and you had some dust on your sensor  :P

The long focal range is pretty cool 8)
Ever used it for other objects then the moon and sun ?

swinxx

@levas:
Hahaha. The solar filter is indeed crazy. It filters 99,9% of the light ;) the lens is great, but no - its mine for just 5 days.. I will shoot some scenes for a shortfilm in the next time. Will post here. Greets

DeafEyeJedi

Love it -- well job done swinxx!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Hans_Punk

I tried this last year on the early 7D build(with vertical line issue)...now I've upgraded to 5Dmk3, I need to try again :)

https://vimeo.com/72782691

password: moon

swinxx

hello hans..
thank you for sharing. which lens have you used?
is this vertical banding in your video? you should def. try the correction algos.. (mlrawviewer or mlvfs)
greets. swinxx

Hans_Punk

7D with early build, using an old 300mm pentax m42 mount lens.
This video was from way before the vertical stripe issue was sorted on that camera (over a year ago), now I have upgraded to 5D3.

Your video has reminded to try again on the current build on 5Dmk3 :)

swinxx

hello hans,
interesting, it looks more than a 2000mm lens than a 300mm lens.
have you used a teleconverter?

updated first post with a new moon video :)

greets.

Levas

you say you are going to shoot some scenes for a short film with it.
Will it be scenes witt people in it ?

That lens looks pretty sharp in your second moon video...
If I had such a lens for 5 days, I would try to capture a photo or video with a sunrise or moonrise with buildings or people in front of it  :D
With 1000mm or 3000mm in crop mode, that must give a gigantic moon or sun against the people or buidlings in the same frame  :o

swinxx

yes thats exactly my plan!! moonrise with the actor in front :) but be surprised when the film will be released.. now i am testing with pleasing results..

however, i meant that the lens is mine since 5 days.. :) so i do not give it back..
the seller told me that he tested 5 russentonnen and took the sharpest when he bought it.. so i think i can be pretty happy with it. and!! it was a bargain.
greets.

Levas