ML footage sped up - frame rate changing like crazy!

Started by knoxl, October 31, 2014, 12:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knoxl

Sorry if this is a base question - but I cannot find an answer anywhere..

I shot ML RAW on my 5diii - set to 23.9760 fps in ML settings. (25fps on Canon in camera settings)

After shooting a few  strange things happened....

Firstly, when converting to DNGs in RAW MAGIC I saw it detected my fps was 25 - didn't bother me too much, I assumed this would resolve itself.

I then brought the files into premiere and made a 23.9760 fps video file.

Then, when looking at the footage in Premiere, on a 23.9760 composition, all my footage looks sped up! As if I were shooting 50fps!

I have tried everything to fix this and am very sad, that I feel like all my footage might be ruined.

I tried bringing the DNGs into Da Vinci Resolve - and rendering out at 23.9760 - but as it was rendering out the files I noticed that the frame rate on the clip it was rendering (in the preview panel) was changing, from 23 up to 30 and then back down again!

I would LOVE someone's help in fixing this - I am at a loss. All my footage looks very sped up and awful!

dmilligan

RAWMagic is not supported here. Please use a different converter.

There's also a difference between "converting" frame rates and "conforming" or reinterpreting the frame rate.

Also, if you want frame rate to be correct out of camera then you need to use mlv_rec not raw_rec. MLV has metadata that RAW does not including frame rate.

knoxl

Thanks dmilligan, good to know.

So there's nothing that can be done in post to fix the existing footage?

dmilligan

It can be fixed easily. You need to "reinterpret" the frame rate, rather than "converting" it.

knoxl

Thanks, I have tried re interpreting the footage, and whilst it does increase the duration of the clip, it doesn't solve my problem. It is still sped up. At a loss :(

dmilligan

Did you have frame skipping allowed when you were recording and did it skip any frames?

knoxl