autofocus stops working - says "busy".....

Started by stagsy, October 27, 2014, 04:58:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stagsy

...when pressing AF-ON button to focus on 5D3 immediately after filming a clip in RAW. Happens every time.
Can only get it working again by switching camera off then on. Then it happens again.

Appreciate any insights

a1ex

Does it work if you wait until recording finishes completely?

(can't try it myself, I no longer have any AF lenses that work on full frame)

stagsy

It happens well after recording has finished.
This a recent thing, previously this didn't happen.

a1ex

stagsy

Version: Nightly.2014Aug07.5D3123
Mercurial Changeset: ffd1d533b1dc (5D3-123)
Built on 2014-08-06 22:01:43 UTC

stagsy

.... Modules Used:
mlv_rec
mlv_snd
pic_view
raw_rec

Spooke

I get this same problem on my 7D with mlv_rec, as OP I have to reboot my camera to be able to take photos or I see 'BUSY' - saying that I haven't waited for X amount of time to see if it fixes itself. Happened on my 650D also!

Will post up the same information you requested from the OP to see if it can aid troubleshooting?

spnsir

Same issue here. Not sure what causes it.. doesn't happen too often. Have to turn off and turn on camera for autofocus to work again.

stagsy

Tried not running mlv_rec and raw_rec at the same time but makes no difference.

dmilligan

I couldn't reproduce on 60D. It could have something to do with memory allocation, I've seen the camera say busy sometimes when ML allocates memory that the canon firmware needs for some specific task (like when playing around with SRM a while back). Perhaps the SRM memory isn't freeing correctly. Could you try it without SRM enabled? Also try some older builds and see if you can find one that works, then narrow it down to a specific build where it stops working.

stagsy

What is SRM and where do I find it to disable it? - I have looked but can't find.

dmilligan

some builds had an option for it in the raw video menu, I think the option was taken out at some point, if so, just try older builds

stagsy

My apologies - found it under Movie > RAW video (MLV) > Use SRM job memory > was ON, now OFF.
Will report back when tested.

g3gg0

Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

Danne

From question yesterday
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14704.msg150101#msg150101

Been having some "busy" hangups which always go away when restarting but it,s a bit annoying so would like to try to find what is causing the issue. I had it once just now and this was after watching my file in mlv_play mode. Viewing the recorded mlv file. Tried reproducing viewing in fast mode, exact mode, switching back and forth going in and out. Recording more clips, viewing, exiting with shutter button, exiting with scroll wheel and so on but cannot reproduce.
Before it happened I took some CR2 stills, filmed, took some more CR2 stills, filmed. Feels quite random when it happens. All buttons work but the shutter button when the busy signal state occurs.
Have not checked without SRM memory on. Just looked and it is set to on. I will set it to off and film today and see if it changes anything.

Setup used
ML build 2015-03-12
5d mark 3 (1.1.3)
Sigma lens 35mm f1.4 (set to manual mode)
Global draw on
fps override 24.003 
1920x1080 (MLV)
Audio (on)
Use SRM Job Memory (on)
extra hacks (on)
Buffer fill Method (4)
CF-only buffer (1)Reserve card space (on)

Danne

When deselecting Use SRM Job Memory (on) to off the small top right display don,t show the busy signal while filming. The word busy is always there while filming when Use SRM Job Memory is set to on. Is this normal behaviour? Might be this setting causing the problem.

a1ex

BUSY while recording is normal, because we allocate all the memory that Canon would use for taking pictures.

But it should disappear after you stop recording. If that doesn't happen, it's a bug.

Danne

Ok, I see. It stops after stopping recording. Except for when the busy anomaly occurs. Will investigate further.

Danne

Most probably something to do with SRM setting to on. Just tried set it back to on and filmed a clip. Instantly the busy hangup on the focus button when stoppd filming. Anything to do here or simply shoot without SRM on? Cannot reproduce the issue. Random bug.

a1ex

I might have found a fix for this issue as well. Didn't reproduce this exact issue, but when refactoring some SRM memory test, I've found (and hopefully fixed) some bugs regarding UI lock (which is printing "busy" on the screen).

The fix is included here: https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/pull-requests/610/benchmarks-and-self-tests-refactored-as/commits

Anyone can reproduce this issue, and is willing to try the fix?

Danne

Trying to reproduce the bug just now but hard to get to it in latest build. Will try harder tomorrow. Is there a build to test if I manage to reproduce the issue on my 5D mark III? I know @deafeyejedi also encountered this srm bug from time to time.

a1ex

The fix is included in current nightly (2016Apr11).

I don't know if it actually fixes this particular issue, but it certainly works better during SRM memory tests (which sometimes locked up with "busy" message if I took pictures during the test).

Danne

Went out filming some nordic wildlife. A Great grey owl. Luckily I get to meet these birds every spring 20 minutes from where I live. A lot of 3x zoom and some still shooting. Camera went rolling without any "busy" state problems at all. Usually this would appear by now but seemed fixed. Great! Of course this could be tested further but It felt very stable. Did some fast viewing of pink frames shooting 60fps 720p and no pink frames from the few files I tested this with. Very, very great. Only waiting for the crop module to be implemented and the freedom will be unbelievable in this little machine.

Frame from a longer sequence
3xzoom(1800mm) Tamron 150-600