Newbie to 5D2 Raw Video !

Started by NitromanX, October 26, 2014, 09:53:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NitromanX

Hi ! I'm a relative newbie so please excuse my lack of knowledge ...

I'd like to try recording Raw video with my Canon 5D2.

I've read most of the forum posts, but as raw video develops it's hard to keep on top of things.

What's the latest on recording video with 5D2 ? Which nightly build is best to use ? Can i record audio at same time using MLV or is that the realms of the 5D3 ?

I'd like to use Final Cut Pro X for post processing ... So i guess i convert the raw video files using Raw2Dng then use Quicktime Pro to create Pro Res clips ? If not, what alternative workflow is recommended with 5D2 ?

Thanks in advance ... :D

reddeercity

First if you Search the forum you will find All your answers  ;)
Or Start here  ---> http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11205.msg108939#msg108939
                Also --> http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11205.msg131610#msg131610
                 and --> http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11205.msg131937#msg131937
Did I miss any thing .

There is always new workflows and development going on so to keep up you must do some searching/reading   :)
Above all don't use QTPro to make ProRes file you will have problems .

NitromanX

Thanks Reddeercity - i shall investigate further ! :)

NitromanX

Hi again Red Deer City ...

I've had a good close look at your videos - all incredibly helpful so thanks again.

Can i ask why you say to not use Quicktime 7 to generate the quicktime .mov file from the jpgs or tifs ? It seems easier than making a compound clip in Final Cut Pro X.

Also ... out of interest ... If i upgrade to a Canon 5D3 from 5D2, will the ML Playback of .mlv files be any better in camera or is the 5D2 still as good as the newer model ?

Appreciate your knowledge !

reddeercity

QT Pro 7 has gamma shift issues with image sequences, its great for video files thou.
Working with Jpegs-8bit  to video is really degrading your image, better to stay with Tif's (16bit) for video.
But I'm not sure why you are not working with the dng's or Cdng's ? You Can save yourself a lot of time as Apple support Cdng's.
I would use MlRawViewer 1.3.3 (CDNG/MLV/RAW Viewer & Encoder, Linux/Mac/Win   Download link: https://bitbucket.org/baldand/mlrawviewer/downloads
This is a quick and fast way to get a prores 4444 file with lut support and basic adjustments etc.... far superior then QT Pro 7 with out transcoding to a different file/format.

QuoteIf i upgrade to a Canon 5D3 from 5D2, will the ML Playback of .mlv files be any better in camera or is the 5D2 still as good as the newer model ?
Yes it will be better , 5D3 has far more processing power then the 5D2.

NitromanX

Wow, that's really helpful advice ... thanks again ! :D

So Final Cut Pro X can import cdng files that have been converted using MLRaw Viewer ...

Sorry to ask, but how do i import these cdng clips into FCPX ? Do i need to make a 'compound clip' or something ? I'm really new to all this so please excuse my naivity ! ;)

Once imported, are cdng's as gradeable in FCPX as the raw files would be in Adobe Raw etc ? This is a huge time saver if so !:D

reddeercity

QuoteSo Final Cut Pro X can import cdng files that have been converted using MLRaw Viewer ...
No, that's only dng's .
There is a few ways to get Cdng that Work in FCPX , Not all Cdng's will work there is some work around.
Basically If you can preview the Cdng image in finder & the Images looks correct "no pink cast etc.." then you can edit them as a
Compound clip just like tiff's .....  Or use them in any Apple App.
I use a Laptop PC to make my Cdng's , raw2cdng PC app work here but only Versions less then 1.5.0, So any 1.4.x version is compatible
All other version higher product Pink cast in the image . And because the 1.4.x versions are not very stable with mlv, I revert them to .raw with audio.
Now this is important to exact only on a MAC , The only App that works is RawMagic But you Still need to revert back to .raw version 1.0
format as the MLV 2.0 converted with that App product the same pink cast but Not with Raw version 1.0 file format .

QuoteOnce imported, are cdng's as gradeable in FCPX as the raw files would be in Adobe Raw etc ?
More or less , there are limits even in ACR .
I mainly use film stock emulation "Film Convert Pro" with Cdng in FCPX, makes grading very fast on quick turn around jobs .

NitromanX

You really are the man Red Deer City ! :)

I will digest what you say and have a play around ... Thanks so much for your advice.