canon 5d mark iii eye-fi card in camera will not turn on

Started by drm7510, October 26, 2014, 02:59:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drm7510

Recently purchased a 5dmiii very slightly used. Camera works stellar. Just purchased a 16g eye-fi mobi card and when I put it in, the camera will not even turn on. Conversed with Eye-fi support and then sent out a 32g replacement card but the same exact issue. No mention of ML on it. New reformatted cards. Latest canon firmware 1.2.3.  Desparate for the eye-fi to work for an upcoming shoot. Upon google searches, found 1 or 2 blog entries that possibly noted that once ML is on the camera cannot totally undelete it back to original so the eye-fi could work. Have no idea if Magic Lantern was ever on it, but don't know what else to look at. Not going to send the camera into canon as it works flawlessly other than the eye-fi.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am not familiar with the magic lantern.

rpt

Hi, mine did not work. I tried it in June...
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13042.msg126185#msg126185

Also see:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7664.msg66980#msg66980

Besides, it does not give you true wifi capability as it only transfers what is on the eyefi card and not the stuff on the CF card.

drm7510

Since I do not know anything about ML and making an assumption that my 5dm3 will not turn on with the eye-fi card installed in it, the only blog entry I can find is something to do with ML and  bootflag.   My question and looking for a suggestions - do I download and install ML on my camera and then try and uninstall completely and see if that works?  I really don't want the ML on my camera until I get more into video. And will uninstalling it remove whatever the offending file is?  If ML was on the camera originally, it was uninstalled as I can find no trace of it.

drm7510

And the eye-fi card should fit my needs perfectly - As I  can shoot and client can hold my ipad and see the shots as I shoot raw to the CF card and 5meg jpg to the ipad for client viewing as we go.

rpt

You could install ML on some other SD card. I have not installed it on my CF card as I swap those cards out and did not want to do any R&D to figure if it would work. Once you are done with your preview of ML, uninstall it and then you can shoot with the EyeFi card. As it fits your need perfectly - jpegs from the SD card, that is great.

Stedda

ML works just fine on a CF card for me on 5D III either of the 2 recent firmware versions...
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

drm7510

Thank you both for the suggestions. I am running blind on this and trying to educate myself on ML so I can rectify as soon as possible or look for another way to shoot and get images to ipad for client viewing on the fly and  just eat the cost of the eye-fi.   So I will dig a little harder - but it appears that my best bet may be to do a new install of ML on my 5dmiii (will look up exact instructions on how to do that), then do an uninstall?  My only concern is that if the body had ML on it, it already was uninstalled, so there must be a trick to completely uninstalling or changing whatever this offending bootflag is. And pray that none of this damages the stellar working camera.  But I am  out of options as the eye-fi community board or the eye-fi tech support had no real suggestions. So I guess I must the only one in the world that has this issue. Nuts. Will search for detailed instructions for install and uninstall since I am not familiar with ML at all.

dmilligan

The only permanent thing that ML "installation" does to a camera is set a single flag called the "bootflag". This tells the Canon firmware to try and load a file on the SD/CF card and run it (ML is in this file). The uninstall simply unsets the flag. ML itself lives on the SD/CF card, not "in the camera" so to speak. It could be that the person you bought the camera from "installed" ML and then never "uninstalled" ML at all. You don't see ML because you don't have a "bootable" card with the ML files on it.

If the bootflag is indeed the issue with the eyefi card, then all you need to do is run the ML "uninstall" procedure: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11017.0 (you'll need some sort of SD or CF card other than your eyefi card for doing this).

walter_schulz

If you want to get rid off the bootflag
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=11017.0
Run uninstall as described. Uninstallation = Installation + waiting 31 (or more) seconds after successful installation.