5D3 raw - MGS Philanthropy - Part 2, Hive Division’s homage to the MGS

Started by microsoul, October 21, 2014, 05:00:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KurtAugust

Again proof that a 5d3 with ML can perfectly produce a feature film. Such an amount of great work being shown lately!

Was 'Le Chat Noir' the center of license issues? (3:47)
www.kurtaugustyns.com @HetRovendOog

mattiagri

Quote from: KurtAugust on October 28, 2014, 12:11:59 PM
Was 'Le Chat Noir' the center of license issues? (3:47)

LOL! Unfortunately the problem was the whole Metal Gear Solid brand...

mattiagri

Quote from: arrinkiiii on October 23, 2014, 01:01:31 PM
-Yes, please, if Mattia share the CC and grading trip would be awesome =)))

Thanks for this, appreciated a lot  8) 

Hi arrinkiiii, I'm not very good with Resolve (I learned to hate it a little bit  :P ) How can I do it? Is it enough to share the main grade still? The CC has been a big challenge, I wasn't neither a colorist nor a Resolve user. One more thing to say is that the scenes were so dark and the qualifier tool didn't managed to separate skin tones, so I needed to do a big amount of cc masks; a real pita... :D

nikki

nice..but for the feature...try to shoot on film  super 16mm..

microsoul

arrinkiiii

Yes, please Mattiagri,  sharing  the main grade it will be nice =)  Big thanks !!!  And thanks Microsoul for the BTS =))  You guys rock big time. Cheers.

mattiagri

Hi arrinkiii, I'm so sorry, I uninstalled Resolve two weeks ago! Basically the operation was done on two steps: for the first thing I balanced the shots to have a uniform look, then I added a series of nodes, following this simple tutorial:

https://vimeo.com/65617394

Things are well explained, but the look is quite complicated to achieve with poorly exposed frames (linke ours), so you must keep a very tight discipline with nodes in order to avoid a big mess. Underexposition bring us another sticky problem: qualifier didn't work properly (we get noisy or uncorrected selections almost in the 80% of the night shots), so I was forced to use A LOT of masks, tuned up even frame by frame with a lot of hours spent on that...

BTW, if you don't need to shot a movie over the rain, in the middle of the night with poor light power and little time to do it because you are in a f*kin missile base, following that tutorial will allow you to get the separation tone look you want!  ;D