Possible to change video file prefix from MVI or IMG?

Started by tmcdanel, October 15, 2014, 05:36:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmcdanel

Right now it is set for MVI so all file names look like this: MVI_0289.MOV

Can i change this?
to something like MVA to give MVA_0289.MOV

How about with jpegs?
Currently it is saving: IMG   So files are named IMG_0243.jpg
Can i change it to IMA to get  IMA_0243.jpg

How about on the T5i?

The reason i am asking is i use two cameras, a T3i and T5i, and i want to clearly distinguish the products of the two cameras.
Magic Lantern Nightly 700D114 build 2016-06-13
Canon Rebel T5i (1.1.3) 700D - EFS 18-135mm & 18-55mm & 300mm lenses
MacBook Pro OSX 10.9 Mavericks

dmilligan

There is a function in the Canon firmware that lets you change the file prefix, but it's somewhat unreliable. Why not just use the metadata?

tmcdanel

DMiligan, thanks for the reply. To answer your question, the metadata is stored in the file's resource fork on a Mac. I can look at it with GraphicConverter, which is what use for sorting but it is not handy.

A designation in the file name would be much handier. Your answer "There is a function in the Canon firmware" does not indicate how to try this function. Are you saying it is in the standard menu?
On both T3i and T5i?

I assume that ML does not address this.
Magic Lantern Nightly 700D114 build 2016-06-13
Canon Rebel T5i (1.1.3) 700D - EFS 18-135mm & 18-55mm & 300mm lenses
MacBook Pro OSX 10.9 Mavericks

1%

I've never seen it for video but for photos dual_iso can do this in ML right now(it misses some), there should be a custom string option in the canon menus as well, but it does ALL images. I personally use it for bracketed shots, as written by a1ex (1 or 2 years ago) with some updates to keep it current with ML changes. Imho it was very reliable with the advanced bracketing and should come  back to mainline.

dmilligan

Any decent photo catalog/workflow program (Lightroom, iPhoto, darktable, Aperture, Bridge, etc.) should let you sort/view/filter/etc based on any metadata (camera, lens, expo settings, rating, etc.). If you're not using such a program to manage your photo library, you should be. I don't ever care or even really see what files are named as I import, edit, and manage photos entirely within Lightroom.

Quote from: tmcdanel on October 19, 2014, 09:39:54 PM
Your answer "There is a function in the Canon firmware" does not indicate how to try this function.
see fileprefix.c/h

/* only one module (task, whatever) can set a custom prefix; all other requests will be denied */
/* returns a "key" with which you can restore the file prefix (so it won't get restored by mistake) */
int file_prefix_set(char* new_prefix);

(this function is just a ML wrapper around a Canon property: PROP_FILE_PREFIX)