Canon 5D Mark II Firmware

Started by Ignatius Constant, October 16, 2014, 10:17:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ignatius Constant

I can not find a firmware update for my Canon 5D Mark II. I've been all over Google, to Japanese sites, etc.

Can someone, for the love of all that is holy, provide a direct, reliable link to a Canon 5D Mark II firmware update?

Walter Schulz

Top of page -> User Guide -> Install Guide

Kharak

You could also be more specific as of what firmware version you are on?
Maybe you have the newest version?
Which one are you looking for?
once you go raw you never go back

Walter Schulz

I suppose he may be looking for a firmware usable with ML.

Ignatius Constant

Yes. I'm looking for the latest firmware version compatible with Magic Lantern. Hence my posting on the Magic Lantern forum :)

My current version is 2.0.4

I live in the US. Will the firmware provided on canon-europe.com be appropriate for my camera?

Walter Schulz

Please, think about it for a moment ...

a1ex

The firmware from Canon Europe will change your camera language to one of those: German, French, Spanish or Hungarian. The one from the Canon Japan only has Japanese and Chinese.

;)

Ignatius Constant

QuotePlease, think about it for a moment ...

You directed me to Canon Europe download page. And I asked if it was appropriate. Think about that for a moment...

Walter Schulz

"We have really everything in common with America nowadays, except, of course, language." (Oscar Wilde)

Ignatius Constant

If only quoting Oscar Wilde could make you as clever. But as Oscar Wilde said, most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation. In short, you're neither clever nor helpful.

So I found a 2.1.2 download on the US site (same size as the one found on the European website, which leads me to believe it may be the same file). I unfortunately do not have a CF card reader on me to format my CF card to FAT32. Is there a workaround for this? I can USB my 5D directly to my laptop.

a1ex

Quote from: Walter Schulz on October 16, 2014, 10:22:41 PM
Top of page -> User Guide -> Install Guide

Quote from: Ignatius Constant on October 16, 2014, 10:53:19 PM
In short, you're neither clever nor helpful.

Insulting the person who answered your question, giving step by step directions on how to solve your issue, is not a good idea.

Enjoy your ban.

Walter Schulz

I hope ban is temporary. Because I don't feel insulted and have to admit pulling his leg.
Would be hard for him to master ML without community support.

a1ex

Yeah, maybe "insulting" wasn't the right word. You pointed him to the exact location, and he said you are not helpful... how would you call it?

And it should be pretty obvious: if there would be differences between the US/EU/JP cameras, the install guide would point them out, right?

Audionut

Quote from: Audionut on March 21, 2014, 11:03:39 AM
See this forum post for a list of locations where you can obtain Canon firmwares, including firmwares no longer available directly from Canon: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9983.0

Ignatius Constant

Whelp, I decided to go get a CF card while my impromptu ban was in effect.

I am about to install Magic Lantern. Wish me luck! D:

*EDIT*

I am fully firmware updated and Magic Lantern installed! With my 64gb 1066x Lexar. Now comes the learning curve. First thoughts, I kinda wish I could control shutter speed and ISO with the traditional inputs, rather than exclusively in the ML menu. Second thoughts, I kinda wish there was an aspect ratio / resolution toggle in the menu. Third thoughts, I peed a little :)

Ignatius Constant

Alrighty, so apparently I need up to date raw_rec and mlv_rec modules. Given the avalanche of techy jabber and esoteric and often outdated information floating around, I don't know where to find the most up to date raw_rec and mlv_rec. Can anyone be so kind as to point me in the right direction? (I really wish there was a more comprehensive and up-to-date download section)

*EDIT*

May I request my ban to be reversed? Typically, users are warned if they are believed to be conducting themselves in a negative fashion, as, I think, would especially be necessary if the perceived insult was that they said someone was "not clever". Even the alleged victim (Walter Schulz) is skeptical of the villainy of the suspected assailant (moi). Worst of all, I kind of like the guy :/

Audionut

What makes you think the modules in the nightly builds, aren't up to date?