35mm // croatia - (One body/One lens/ML RAW)

Started by beauchampy, October 10, 2014, 10:33:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beauchampy

Ever gone on a trip and only had room for one lens? Well I was torn between a 24-70 2.8 and the Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art.. No IS on either, but I knew shooting 50p and having a steady hand should help that (I wasn't taking a tripod either).

Shot entirely in RAW on the 5D III in 50p (1920x508 stretched to 1920x818 in DR)
Kit: 5D III, Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art, 2x 32gb Lexar 1000x, NEXTO DI
Post: RAWMagic, Davinci Resolve 11, PPCC2014, Osiris, Impulz, Neat Video, Film Convert

Music: Under Streetlights - Brooke Annibale

TonesProtege

Even though you might have been limited packing space wise, I think limitations like this are great creative tools. Forcing yourself to work within a framework is a recipe for great work, imo. The sigma 35 1.4 happens to be a terrific lens as well. On top of that, your color work is fantastic. I'd be interested to know what impulz luts you utilized and what your resolve node structure was, still trying to figure out the best way to utilize them as their workflow is more complicated/nuanced than the Osiris LUT's.  Also were you getting sustainable recording at 50p? Still amazes me what kind of image this camera can produce in the right hands. Great job.

Jake

Canon eos m

Awesome cool!

I tried the same combo once on my trip to Myanmar. Did not come back with much ... I guess because I did not hand a plan or project in mind at the time.

Will try and use your production workflow and see.
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

Spottyq

Really nice video, thanks for sharing ! :-)

My favorite lens is a 35mm. I like the how compact it is (plus it lets plenty of light in) and it allows me to work close to my subject (without making them too much uneasy.)

Btw, you should rename your video like this : "35mm // Cats in Croatia"  :P

mothaibaphoto

Thank you. Really nice colors and steady hands. You can shoot timelapse  :) Good work with focus. I can't believe that this work was made handheld without external monitor and follow focus. Don't let the sea to splash on your camera :)

vertigopix

Love it !
Croatia... The most beautiful country in the world !  :-)

beauchampy

Quote from: TonesProtege on October 10, 2014, 11:45:13 PM
Even though you might have been limited packing space wise, I think limitations like this are great creative tools. Forcing yourself to work within a framework is a recipe for great work, imo. The sigma 35 1.4 happens to be a terrific lens as well. On top of that, your color work is fantastic. I'd be interested to know what impulz luts you utilized and what your resolve node structure was, still trying to figure out the best way to utilize them as their workflow is more complicated/nuanced than the Osiris LUT's.  Also were you getting sustainable recording at 50p? Still amazes me what kind of image this camera can produce in the right hands. Great job.

Jake

Thanks Jake.

My grading process goes a little like this..
- Everything BMD film
- Apply vision color log in the project settings (3d output LUT)
- I then put every clip through the vision color log to rec709 lut, adjust the RAW white balance if needed and then literally hit the auto colour button! I'll tweak here if it's not to taste. usually I'll need to adjust gamma or adjust the colour slightly. This usually gives a pretty good starting point for the colour balance.
- I'll then remove the rec709 lut and start trying out various luts from impulz / osiris until I find something that really compliments the shot.
- Impulz luts 9 times out of 10 require further primary correction as the curves are no where near as strong as the osiris LUTs.
- I'll then grade to taste (that all just gets me my starting point)
- Usually add Neat video and get rid of any unwanted noise
- Final stage is film convert, usually just to add a hint of grain (20-30%) 35mm academy. Sometimes I'll play with the curve and colour in film convert but most of the time I'm happy with my grade so I'll leave it off.

I'm on 1.2.3 and I can get about 25 seconds of 50p before it stops. I hear you can get pretty much continuous on the previous 5d3 firmware.

Quote from: Canon eos m on October 11, 2014, 06:11:20 AM
Awesome cool!

I tried the same combo once on my trip to Myanmar. Did not come back with much ... I guess because I did not hand a plan or project in mind at the time.

Will try and use your production workflow and see.

I didn't really plan anything. Just had my camera by my side at most times and shot whenever I thought I saw something worth shooting.

Quote from: Spottyq on October 11, 2014, 12:30:47 PM
Really nice video, thanks for sharing ! :-)

My favorite lens is a 35mm. I like the how compact it is (plus it lets plenty of light in) and it allows me to work close to my subject (without making them too much uneasy.)

Btw, you should rename your video like this : "35mm // Cats in Croatia"  :P

Haha! Actually there were so many Cats in Croatia, me and my girlfriend wanted to make a short documentary called "Cats of Dubrovnik". Think it could be really cool.

Quote from: mothaibaphoto on October 11, 2014, 04:32:52 PM
Thank you. Really nice colors and steady hands. You can shoot timelapse  :) Good work with focus. I can't believe that this work was made handheld without external monitor and follow focus. Don't let the sea to splash on your camera :)

Yeah the gear was so minimal, but thankful for things like focus peaking and raw histogram which improves the 5d monitoring experience buy a bazillion percent. Had to get really inventive with the stabilisation.. for example the first shot I actually have an ND on the front of the lens (oh yeah, I had an ND too) which was pressed up against the large window infront of me.. So I was just pushing on the glass to keep the camera still. Also had to keep on the look out for walls or things I could place the camera on. Some shots are just handheld and stabilised in resolve (like at 3:06 - looks rock steady though)!

Thanks for your kind comments everybody!

DeafEyeJedi

@beauchampy -- just ran into this thread and damn I'm impressed. It is in fact true that it pushes your creativeness when forced to use one lens.

Now I'm itching to sell my 50L 1.2 for the Sigma Art lenses...

Part of me sometimes gets sick of this particular lens but then there are times that I would need the 1.2 & it's bokeh!

Basically I'm torn between 35 & 50.... lol
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109