Sandisk releases a 250MB per sec 64GB SD, will it work for 550D?

Started by David AE Levy, October 10, 2014, 02:30:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David AE Levy

Hi,
I've had my 550D with the general release of ML for a long time,
I was looking into checking out the nightly builds since there hasn't been any major releases for a while,
and during the evening I was looking to upgrade my 32 GB Sandisk SD pro to more capacity...
I ended up finding this expensive bad boy:
http://www.amazon.com/Extreme-Digital-Extended-Capacity-SDXC/dp/B00JE0F1CE/
I don't know if it will work in the 550D... so I have a few questions.
Will the 550D accept this SD card and write to it?
Can the 550D write to this SD at that max speed of 250MB/s?
Can 5K video ever be an option in camera since it's a 19 MP camera?
And would this faster card allow for more features such as RAW recording in 1080p?
I'm guessing the later two are out of the question but it doesn't hurt to ask

Thanks!

dmilligan

Rewind

550D's SD-controller has write speed limit of 21 MB/s.
I think, this is the answer to all your questions.

David AE Levy

Thank you, after digging around in the forums yea, any kind of decent RAW video is out of the question for 550D/t2i.. even if output was somehow put through the usb which is a max of 60MB/s, 10 bit RAW @ 1080p24 needs 190 MB/s throughput. So no need to buy this expensive card for this camera...

On that note... if the SD controller is limited to 21MB/s.. I didn't even need to buy this 95MB/s sandisk years ago did I?!
At 21MB/s bottleneck any SDHC @25MB/s write speed would have worked with all ML features including max video codec settings the camera body can handle?
If this is the case I bet not only myself but many others wasted tons of cash... the reason I bought the UH1 sandisks was because of the theory I read that the camera could write faster to the card... eg better quality video with a higher codec setting... have I duped myself?

Well... in any event the t2i with ML makes a GREAT HDR timelapse camera.... guess I could upgrade to a 256GB SD card then... but even those are overkill on speed at UH1 spec... seems 256GB SDs don't come slower eg therefor cheaper...

Rewind

Quote10 bit RAW @ 1080p24 needs 190 MB/s throughput
That is not correct. 14 bit fullHD raw @24fps needs around 83 MB/s.

dmilligan

Fast cards aren't totally useless. I bought a 90MB/s card just so I could download to my computer faster, and they're really not that expensive anymore.

chmee

This Calculation (190MB/s) is right, if you'd work with RGB (3*10) 30bit-Data, but you arent.

1920x1080[px] *3[RGB] *10[Bit]*25[fps] /8192 = ~190MB
but RAW(here) is a Bayer-Pattern, so every pixel(sensel) is only 14Bit instead of 30Bit. (14/30, nearly half)
1920x1080[px] *14[Bit]*25[fps] /8192 = ~89MB
Quote..have I duped myself?..
you re not the first not knowing the real bottleneck. so, nevermind, you can read out faster in the cardreader ;)

regards chmee
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]