Pink Line Problem - strange appearance and disappearance

Started by anandkamal, October 12, 2014, 12:25:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anandkamal

Hi friends, I am getting a pink horizontal strand or lines at different frames in 5d3 .mlv footage while playing in MLRawviewer. These lines remain when imported to Resolve and even after being exported. The strange thing is that I accidentally opened the same file, which I had as a backup, in another folder and that file copy did not show any pink strand or line and is clear!

How this occurs? How can it be solved? Is this because of the viewer? or repetitive playing of footage or many footage (because i use it for serious video purpose, i see rushes of 100s of footage a day)? I am currently solving the pink line problem using photoshop (by removing the pink cdng picture and replacing with adjacent cdng pic). Now i understand the problem is not in the making. Something is wrong with processing or software or player.... I am using april 2014 build ML, MLrawviewer1.2.3 and raw2cdng 1.6.1. Below are the two pics at the same frame of same file from different folders, showing pink and nopink line. Pls help me to solve this problem. Thank you.

kitor

Check this file on another PC. If it's ok then start with memtest86+ to check memory in your computer for defects. And show us SMART tab from HD-Tune( with all fields visible) to confirm is your HDD ok.
Too many Canon cameras.
If you have a dead R, RP, 250D mainboard (e.g. after camera repair) and want to donate for experiments, I'll cover shipping costs.

anandkamal

dmilligan

Quote from: anandkamal on October 12, 2014, 12:25:29 AM
The strange thing is that I accidentally opened the same file, which I had as a backup, in another folder and that file copy did not show any pink strand or line and is clear!
It sounds like your file got corrupted. Probably hardware/hard-drive related, not related to any of the tools (they don't ever write to the file). Do a diff (use something like kdiff3, beyond compare, etc.) between the .mlv file and the backup, and verify they are bit for bit, the same (I'm guessing they're probably not).

If the files are in fact different, I would do a full check of the hard drive and filesystem, and recommend replacing the hard drive, as it could be going bad.

anandkamal

i used kdiff3.. the output comparison was unreadable, with different signs and symbols, may be it is not the type of file the software compares. I also compared the .mrx file coming out of the mlv files after being played in mlrawviewer. They were unreadable too.. However, there were highlights showing differences (from this unreadable type of output) between the two files. I take it that even if the file was readable, there would have been difference.. right? Am checking with my hard disk, anyways.

dmilligan

Quote from: anandkamal on October 12, 2014, 11:19:17 PM
However, there were highlights showing differences (from this unreadable type of output) between the two files.
Yeah, that's all you need to know (it doesn't matter if kdiff doesn't understand the .mlv file format, we just need to do a binary comparison between the two files, it's clear they are different).

anandkamal

But the problem occurs in other hard drives too, different files. So i don't think hard drive is going bad.

kitor

Ok, but you copied twice from camera, or once to hard drive, then from this copy to another location? Checking HDD will take only a few minutes.
Too many Canon cameras.
If you have a dead R, RP, 250D mainboard (e.g. after camera repair) and want to donate for experiments, I'll cover shipping costs.