Most reliable CF card for 5D Mark II continuous RAW video

Started by Ignatius Constant, October 10, 2014, 04:00:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ignatius Constant

I am shooting a short film. I want reliable cinema quality continuous RAW footage.

There is a tornado of conflicting information out there, and I've long past the point where it is more practical and convenient to do searches than to just ask you here and now. In clean, simple responses, please tell me, what is the most reliable CF card for continuous RAW video (as in more than a minute without dropping frames) on the 5D Mark II? I don't care the price or capacity.

Give me a best, and a runner up. If you aren't confident answering, please don't respond.

~ EDIT ~

I went with the Lexar 64g 1066x. If it doesn't work out, I'm sure I'll be back to complain :)

chmee

[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

Kharak

I use/d Lexar 128 gb 1000x on my MK II and never lost a frame ever!

Never tried Komputerbay
once you go raw you never go back

Ignatius Constant

chmee

Yeah ;) The 5DII's got a max speed on the CF-Card-Slot continously at about 75MB/s. So, you're not able to write FullHD@24fps. Taking a faster CF-Card means (positively), your Body is the bottleneck, not the Card :D

And:
[possible] 1920*818*14*25/8192 => 67MB/s for a 1:2.35 Aspect with 1920 width - 25fps
[maybe possible] 1920*960*14*24/8192 => 75MB/s for a 1:2 Aspect with 1920 width - 24fps
[not possible] 1920*1036*14*24/8192 => 81MB/s for a 1:1.85 Aspect with 1920 width - 24fps
[not possible] 1920*1080*14*24/8192 => ~85MB/s for a 1:1.6666 Aspect with 1920 width - 24fps

reagrds chmee

Ignatius Constant

So RAW 1920x1080 at 24fps is not possible for continuous shooting?

So, to be clear on terms, by "continuous shooting", do we mean a full ten to fifteen minutes of continuous shooting (without frameloss) that the camera will allow? Or do we mean about a minute of shooting (as is the max limit for RAW shooting I've heard floating around)?

How long will 1920x818 at 25fps shoot until it taps out or loses frames?

chmee

huh. dont know, own a 5DIII. (and yes, in terms of "continous"). 1920x818 at 25fps should be no problem, because the card-slot/card/cache can handle the datarates, so here i mean, its possible to shoot as long as you want.

djzigoh

As Far as I know ..you can't record 1920 on a 5D2 because the sensor native resolution is less than that.. (this is different using crop mode...I think) I can record continuous at 1880 1:85:1 with raw module ( no sound , global draw off), or 1872 1:2 + audio with mlvraw + mlvsnd.

I use  komputerbay x1000 64gb, I rarely drop frames.

Ignatius Constant

I record audio separately, with in-camera audio disabled.

What kind of reliable continuous shooting resolution am I looking at with a 5DII?

"Rarely" drop frames is not particularly encouraging to me :/

djzigoh

If money istnt a problem I suggest buying a komputerbay 64gb x1000 and start testing, try 1880 1.85:1 as far as I remember it was conitinius.... You have to test settings, global draw on/off, card warmup, etc. in the other hand I've read a lot about lexar reliability ... I dontvhavecmy card reader, and my cards are full, perhaps if you contact me tomorrow I can do the testing with my camera.

reddeercity

Continuous MLV+Audio @ 1872x936 23.976p 10 minute plus on Lexar 1000x 1:1 mode
[email protected] in 3x crop mode continuous + Audio
Raw v1.0 [email protected] 1.85:1 AR continuous.
On 5D Mark2, max write in 3x crop mode is 79-80 MB/s
And in 1:1 mode 72-74MB/s but for stabily 68-71 MB/s
Is continuous but you need to fine tune your setting to get this.

Ignatius Constant

I never shoot with audio.

What kind of continuous shooting results (without a single dropped frame) can I get by disabling audio recording?

reddeercity

It depends on the nightly build you are running, if you use Raw v1.0 from Oct 2013 (there is no audio module then)
the max is 1880x1004 23.976p  AR 1.85:1 continuous (no frame drop, frame override enabled , global draw off) about 13 minute on Lexar 1000x 64GB CF Card.
With Raw v2.0 MLV the max. continuous is 1872x936 AR 2:1 with the nightly build from Feb 15th 2014
Or the latest nightly build the max. is 1856x928 because they remove the option for "1872" 

Ignatius Constant

Assume latest stable build. Always latest stable build.

I am a big believer in the principle of Buy Once Buy Right. And I need to make a purchase.

What card is going to get me  reliable, continuous RAW HD footage without losing frames?

chmee

this was your opening question and you ve got answers. buy lexar.

Ignatius Constant

Is there a consensus over which is more reliable, Lexar or Komputerbay?

Ignatius Constant

Kharak

No, there is no consensus on which one is better. Just buy one and get started. ML on MK II is not a point and shoot camera, you will need to learn the pros and cons of the camera before you start a production.

For mk ii, 1000x is enough.. You won't receive any benefit from buying a 1066x. The camera is hardware limited to around 80-81 MB/s, so buying increasingly stronger cards will not help you, not beyond 1000x.

once you go raw you never go back

Ignatius Constant

Excellent. Thank you!

I went ahead and bought a Lexar 64g 1066x (which was, bizarrely, cheaper than the 1000x, which seems kind of ominous, but the seller had excellent rep, so here's hoping). I prefer not to skimp on certain hardware, if I can help it. I'm hoping to calibrate my 5D2 for reliable continuous RAW footage. If I can do this without risking a single lost frame, I will be very happy, and pick up an additional CF.

TrEK

Canon 5d MARK 2.
Card SANDISK EXTREME PRO 64gb class 65
160MB/s read
150MB/s write

I can shooting in RAW without dropping frames and stop recording on 1600x900, 25fps, 16:9, 1.17x and not depent with sound recording or without sound.
Global Draw - OFF

ML version : Nightly.2016Dec19.5D2212

noipego

buy lexar or sandisc...komputerbay get corrupted if used with non udma7 readers...which means low quality cards

bazers

hi everyone and best wishes and good shoootings for the new year
i'm planning to buy a new CF card for my 5D MK3, and i looked on internet about the maximum speed of the CFslot.Does it means that a card like the new komputer bay 64GB CFast 2.0Professional (Read 540MB /until 475 Mo / s Write) with 3400x 4K video is useless?
thanks by advance

Walter Schulz

If you manage to get a CFast-card into an CF-slot you will put short several hundred bucks because you also managed to wreck your CF-slot.
CFast is mechanically incompatibel to CF. Different connectors, different electrical interface.
Look it up ...

chmee

@TrEK
1600*900*25*14/8192 =~ 62MB/sec - The raw read and write-performance of this card doesnt help you, because the body is the bottleneck. 

TrEK

@chmee , but i shooted RAW MLW without drop frames ))))