7D LCD Display funky colors (like solarized filter) BROKEN! Help!!

Started by tonybeccar, October 10, 2014, 03:46:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonybeccar

Hello to all!

First of all I want to let you know that I am not sure if this is a problem that was caused by Magic Lantern, because my camera (7D) was rented at the moment but I delivered ML cards with the camera.

I have a weird problem, I am attaching pictures. The image that is displayed on the LCD looks all distorted. Colors are wrong, it looks like a filter like Solarize. I dont know why I think it looks kinda like one of magic lantern's image effects. Anyway, I consulted about the problem and peolpe told me to take out the tiny battery, card and normal battery for 15 minutes, and so I did, reset the camera settings, so I did. Nothing. I want to say that the cards have no ML installed, they were delivered like that the cards. I installed magic lantern again and reseted factory settings too, nothing. There are no filters on whatsoever. This error happens with any of my 3 cards, regardless of magic lantern being inside, and also happens with No Card.

Now here comes something interesting. It all seems to be an LCD problem, but no. When I connect my HDMI monitor, the image looks the same on the monitor, all funky. And, this is the weird part. When I tried to take a screenshot with the Magic Lantern function, the screenshot looks completely fine!!!

I read here sometimes that cameras get fixed with magic lantern. Now my problem I know now it's not some broken cable con the lcd connection, it's something more serios.

I am attaching pictures below.
Does anyone have any sort of idea of what might be going on here? Did this ever happen to someone? Could it be ML related?

Thanks SO much to everyone in advance!!!! Any help is so greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!
Cheers!!!

tonybeccar

Forgot to add. The recorded files look fine. It's just the liveview that's wrecked!

a1ex

Can you record a video? The artifacts look somewhat like zebras, but it's not clear whether it's a software artifact or a hardware one.

tonybeccar

Yes I can. And it looks good as always.

It looks all magenta-like... with lots of noise, yes similar to zebras also to false colors... sort of posterize. Here's another pic:

Can I provide any aditional information to figure it out? :/

Thanks for answering a1ex!!

a1ex

Ah, I meant a video of the issue (show how it appears on the camera LCD and the HDMI monitor).

tonybeccar

Oh yes! I can do that... was trying with my phone but maybe should borrow another dslr...

I was thinking to reinstall the 2.0.3 firmware.. can I do that just like that or do I need to downgrade and then upgrade?

Will try and upload the video..

tonybeccar

Here is the video:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8exdcm4h9y83pyd/7D%20Misfunction%20Video.mp4?dl=0

As requested, I turn on the camera, we can see how it looks and then connect to the monitor. a1ex: can I do something else?

Has this happened to anyone? I am a bit scared really... this week I'm gonna take it to the repair shop but maybe it can be simpler than that..

Thanks and cheers!!

tonybeccar

Anyone knows something about this?? Just got news from the repair shop and it is madly expensive and it takes 2 months for replacing the "main circuit board". Anyone has any idea if this could be simpler?

I appreciate any kind of help.

a1ex

Something to try: take a screenshot in LiveView, then load that screenshot from File Manager. You will need the pic_view module loaded.

tonybeccar

Thanks for your answer a1ex!

I have it currently on service but I'm planning to go and get it back.
What am I looking for here? The picture uploaded above is a screenshot taken from liveview. What happens when you load it?

EDIT: Maybe I get what you are saying, and it's worth saying also that all the interface, from canon and ML, is with all the weird colors. It's not just the liveview.

tonybeccar

Oh and something new I discovered. I used a wireless SD transmitter via the USB port, with the USB-RCA cable. And the image transmitted OK to the wireless monitor. Via HDMI, all screwed up still.

tonybeccar

I loaded a liveview screenshot with the file manager and everything is still the same. It's the whole interface which is buggy.

I got it back from the service. They couldnt determine the problem. But just in case they said they wanted to chain the main circuit board, which is expensive and it takes 2 months!! So will try another one...

Any ideas???