Canon 50D Magic Lantern liveview

Started by trigger-f, October 07, 2014, 04:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trigger-f

Hi,

Just picked up a used Canon 50D and installed magic lantern (tested it several times, records fine; not RAW, just regular .mov H.264 mode. Plan on installing nightly builds later). I also plan on using it underwater too so was wondering if anyone knows an alternate way (custom function) to turn on Liveview without pressing the print/liveview button on the left side of the camera? My housing (Sea & Sea) does not have a dedicated button for Liveview (it was originally designed for the Canon 40D).

I can always turn on liveview prior to placing the camera in the housing and through the ML liveview settings I can have it shut off after 5-10 seconds to preserve the battery but I don't find this ideal even though it allows me to take stills (pics) as well. I don't want to modify the housing either.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Jackeatley

Is there any room in the the housing for say a sony battery plate? one of the NPF550 should last you a few hours and you can switch the auto sleep off.

trigger-f

No room in the housing. I got a 2500 mAh battery that lasts through 1 dive. I have enabled Magic Lantern to go into sleep mode, however, last dive I did not tickle the camera(press the shutter button for it to wake up) and after 30 mins( I do a lot of shore diving, so it takes me 30+ mins to get out there to the reef), the camera powered off completely. Actually I have to switch on the camera before I place it in the housing because there's no dedicated button on the housing to turn on Liveview.

Anyone else out there know how to program a custom key, C1, C2 or function to turn on LV when I switch on the camera? I've tried to program C1,C2 per the manual but LV constantly switches off before I save the sequence. :( I really don't want to add a button on the housing, it might compromise its integrity.

Here's a video...

Macro shots with ML and canon 60mm lens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmgYAVovzrk

Jackeatley

You probably can, nightly build on my 550d turns LV on automatically when you start the camera so there might be a way, i just haven't seen one yet.

Hahnel have also just released some new orange high capacity batteries, they also claim to be supper rugged. Not sure they do a BP-115 version though.