Set custom WB based on skin tone

Started by PhotoCat, October 06, 2014, 07:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhotoCat

In portrait shooting, often the correct WB out of a grey card is not the most pleasing WB.
The best WB for portraits is the WB that produces the most pleasing skin tone!

It would be nice to WB based on a skin tone (note not the tradition sense of WB on skin, making skin grey)
When you "WB" on a skin tone, you want that skin to record in a tone the photographer wants.

User Interface:

1) Allow a few presets to store pleasing skin tone values  (input by user).
e.g. EABD9D

(skin tone rgb value reference here:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=591549    )

2) In RGB spot meter view, make sure spot meter is pointing at the skin area you want to
balance. e.g. forehand of a person.  (use averaging of pixels if needed)

3) Press a button to "WB" this skin using the selected skin tone value EABD9D.

4) Done! WB of the camera should now be set such that the next shot will record a skin tone
for the same person a value of EABD9D in the forehead!   I guess it doesn't have to be
exactly EABD9D. Just keep the R:G:B ratio the same when setting custom WB.
This will save a great deal of time in adjusting skin tone in post!
I believe this ML feature would be a game changer for portrait shooters.
Is this possible? Thanks ML team!

Audionut

Skin tones are so varied, I doubt something can be done in camera.  And in camera is only useful when shooting JPG.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9469.0

PhotoCat

Skin tones are so varied, I doubt something can be done in camera.  And in camera is only useful when shooting JPG.

Yes, skin tones are varied but what A1ex did with a raw converter to WB on skin tone was proven interesting and practical.

Looks like the custom WB algorithm is there in Canon firmware already. Instead of making certain tone
looks like gray. i.e. R=G=B as in the case of Custom WB, is it possible to make R = B * 1.5 and G = B * 1.15, as
in the case of Caucasian skin tone? 

It is not only useful for jpg shooters, but it is also useful for raw shooters too, since even raw portrait shooters need to
spend a lot of time tweaking skin tone to make it look pleasant.   With WB set correctly to produce a nice skin tone,
even if it is just for the bride in a wedding, is a huge time saver in post for sure.  :)

I hope we can get more opinions from other experienced portrait shooters too.

Thanks Audionut for your consideration!