MLP - Mac OSX batch processing workflow (former cr2hdr-r)

Started by Danne, October 05, 2014, 04:09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danne

No stretching in AE necessary. MLP(dcraw actually) will unstretch your footage upon export.
Also check this workflow. Pretty much the same but simplified and stand alone.
https://bitbucket.org/Dannephoto/cr2hdr

DeafEyeJedi

Well welcome back @hughred22 and I was just about to say all you would need is Danne's latest cr2hdr.app to literally skip AE at all cost (but why would you?), if you will!  8)
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

hughred22

Hi, thank for such a nice processer.

I have a question. So I am using it and my Mac is frozen at some point. So if I forced restart my mac, how can I resume from when I crashed? What is the workflow for that? My files are also in an external hard drive. Also, since the process take days, how can I pause and resume it if it I need to unplug my hard drive and go somewhere? Thanks!

Danne

What are you processing if I may ask. Unplugging in the middle is impossible I,m afraid. Are you processing HDR material?

johnnay

hi all,

noob here - please forgive the lack of etiquette. I have ML on my camera and have shot some raw footage - lovely. Hats off to the devs. However, I am not a developer, nor a video workflow expert - I'm just a dude who wants to see what he filmed on the big screen of his computer, rather than on the teeny screen of his camera. I thought I had success with CR2HDR - which created .dng files without issue - it also apparently installed MLRawviewer, which seemed really cool, because I could view my MLV files! But then when I thought, hey, it would be cool to share this as a .mov for friends and family, I ended up down a rabbit hole - somehow I got to MLP and installed it and all the addons, but now when I right click an MLV file and choose MLP, it creates a tiff file and two dng's, then it deletes the dng's. no other output - nada.

What am I doing wrong, and is there an easy way to go from the MLV on my SD card to a .mov on my Mac?

Thx!

Walter Schulz

It may be helpful to tell us which software you are using to edit your non-RAW videos. And the OS version.

DeafEyeJedi

@johnnay - MLP is and can be quite complex for a first time user (but easy enough to follow through and get it figured out) meanwhile why don't you take a peak at @Danne's latest work in cr2hdr.app which has all the bells and whistles especially for the recent lossless compression.
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Danne

As deafeyejedi points out I strongly suggest working with cr2hdr.app instead. It can export to mov files just as good as MLP.
FYI when you right click onto a file in MLP it creates a preview tiff. THe dng files are leftovers from this process and will be deleted once the tiff is created.

johnnay

Thanks for the responses - I guess I got confused as to which was the later process - CR2HDR or MLP - I thought it was the latter, but using the CR2HDR app I can watch the output in MLRawviwer - still haven't managed to export to a quicktime .mov file tho.. I'll keep reading and ask a more specific question if I can't figure it out...!

nzfritz

Hi all,

My first post on this forum and a little out of desperation.  Have been trying to figure out how to use the MLP script for hours now and can't figure it out.

Basically what I want to do it blend together my dual ISO files from my canon 5D3 to make an HDR video.  I have read the user guide over and over and only get to the point where I can move the .txt files from one folder to the hold folder.  From there, I cannot work out how to do the next step to merge the high iso files with the low iso files.

I am total newb at this an really hoping someone can give me some quick guidance on this.

Much appreciated!

Aaron

Walter Schulz

Sorry, but you are mixing things up:
Dual ISO generates frames where alternating lines with different ISO settings are used in each single frame. This will preserve frame rate. Downside: Vertical resolution is diminished and you have to deal with aliasing.
HDR video option will generate alternating frames (normal/low exposure) thus output will not harm resolution but results in*half* the frame rate.

Danne

Thanks Walter.
Regarding processing dualiso files I suggest you jump to cr2hdr.app instead. It will automate the processing. Much more simplified.