MLP - Mac OSX batch processing workflow (former cr2hdr-r)

Started by Danne, October 05, 2014, 04:09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danne

Hehe, glad to hear. Nice to see you trying out such a huge amount of files. As for now I think running a mix of files would work better than one category at the time. I, m working on it so it will work both ways. Also refining ffmpeg and hdr transcoding.
I, ll be back :)

DeafEyeJedi

*UPDATE* Take 2:

Maybe its because I had too many files under one folder OR could this be related to using external HD? I may have to run this whole thing again from scratch ( No worries this was to be expected  ;) ). Basically I notice that it didn't render the HDR videos and seems to instead takes my regular .MOV files (non HDR) and renders those as if even tho it wasn't HDR. Strange?

Also noticed it didn't spit out .MOV's for all MLV's... Perhaps it got stopped somehow (tried again and still wouldn't produce - I'll have to look into this and figure out why/how?

Here I recorded via screen flow to show you what I've notice... Kind of difficult to explain so I hope this would be easier for you to understand where I'm coming from.

This is all done after the rendering was done overnight.

**Notice the strange flicker pattern? It's due to Vimeo's conversion takes it from 60p to 30p lol -- I'll also be testing another round with selective HDR videos into a separate folder to see if that would help as well as using the MLV file from earlier (Dodgers Stadium) to verify the brightness settings for .MOV files...

STAND BY!

I'm hoping this is an human error on my part.... hmmm?

**EDIT Part 2 (Dodgers Stadium)**

Here's what happens when I tried the same footage again from scratch...

Not sure why it won't run it?

**EDIT Part 3**

Turns out that it was in fact an error on my part because for some reason I assumed that all files could be just in the first parental directory before rendering the app 2nd time. I just took all the MLV's and placed them into the PRORES folder that was created by the app (as well as placing the HDR videos into the HDR_RAW folder)  :o

This problem only occurred with the 262.25 GB folder which is connected via USB 3.0 to an external hardrive  -- if I take one MLV file and placed that into a separate folder on my desktop which seems to work fine? I haven't tested as a whole because I only have 140 GB of space on my Mac Mini's SSD. I find this Strange!

I feel like I should wait before starting all over again once you get the new update released -- or is it possible to keep the converted cdng's and hope they will work with the next update or would that still cause problems?

Sorry about the mess and my fault on this one!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

DeafEyeJedi

Took the HDR .mov files out from the BTS Promo Folder that 'wouldn't work' earlier and placed them into a new Folder.

Apparently it did the trick.

Here's an quick example...

BUT still wouldn't produce a .MOV file (because of my error from earlier due to NOT putting the MLV file inside the created folder "PRORES" from cr2hdr-r. MY BAD!)

*EDIT*

Here's the overall experience...

DeafEyeJedi

*Sneak Peak: HDR Video (Pre/Post-cr2hdr-r)*

FYI -- I also notice that the app STILL converts non-HDR videos ( it messes up the framerate and becomes a bit CHOPPY )http://vimeo.com/119064904 and maybe you are already aware of this since its basically still in BETA mode.  ;)

*EDIT* HDR-videos (PRE-cr2hdr-r):

HDR-videos (POST-cr2hdr-r):

Danne

Thanks for posts, I,ll check them after work. About .MOV it will convert all files called .MOV put in the parental folder so only put in hdr .MOV in there.
About PRORES and HDR_RAW folder , they are still very beta.

Bug on my external hard drive is still exiftool randomly messing with frames. I do transcodes on my nternal drive. This is, or was a bug on mac side last I read about it. Might have gone away in Yosemite, not sure.

Thanks for efforts. I,d skip the PRORES and HDR_RAW action for now if I were in your shoes.

/D

DeafEyeJedi

Makes sense. Thanks, Danne!

Also it's now spitting out .MOV's for each MLV one at a time before I get prompted encountered with the error window.

Seems I have to do it manually after each MLV file renders. It's now getting more strange.

I'll just have to clean up the files and folders into original spots...  perhaps start over again with 1.8 instead?

MLVFS would totally be awesome but it just takes forrrrever!

Danne

Yeah, 1.8 is the safest bet right now. THe RAW, MLV processing HDR is a slow one. I would recommend shooting raw, mlv HDR and transcode to ProRes using MLRawviewer and then put the MOV files in 1.8 app. ANdrew got all luts and white balance thing working really good. Something I can,t say in my workflow ;)

Danne

Danne

cr2hdr-r 2.1
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4tCJMlOYfircDVWZGZMZ1FOQ3M/view?usp=sharing

New try. The app works as version 1.8 but with these addings below.

As in version 2.0 it creates two folders on first run inside the parent folder.  "PRORES" and "HDR_RAW_MLV". Put files in these newly folders if you like these transcodings. Run the app again from the "parent folder", not from the newly created folders. See pics.
Should work more stable now. "HDR_RAW_MLV" is pretty slow but try it out if you like :). HDR scripts comes from Jerrykil. WOuld be fun to see it get some usage :)

DeafEyeJedi

Thanks @Danne -- It's actually really nice to be able to wake up and get an PM from you regarding your App's update.

Wish I could be more of a help regarding BUG's... so I have a bunch of already converted Dual-ISO's DNG's created from pretty much all of the MLV's from Saturday's BTS shoot.

My question is... can I Just keep these as it is and put them in the parental directory before I run your latest update?

Also I just realized that I shot the HDR-Videos in .MOV from the 5D3 (not RAW) would that be an issue if I were to place the .mov HDR videos into the HDR_RAW folder created by cr2hdr-r?

I think I should have known better... guess I'll need to SLOOOOOW down! lol

Danne

Do you mean already converted DNG files? I would put them aside as the app will maybe run same level on them. Not sure since I could have changed this.

DeafEyeJedi

Guess I was hoping that once the DNG's are already converted (but haven't process the .MOV's yet) will it pick up from there and spit out MOV's?

Because I just tried and it didn't work so seems like I'll have to delete all the already converted DNG's (from 2.0) and just start from stratch with the MLV's...

I won't be using the HDR-video .MOV's since they are already converted and look fine (now I wish I had shot HDR in RAW and not h.264 in my 5D3) haha.

*edit*

In other words.. I also tried using MLRV 1.4.3 to play back the DNG's (from your app) which looks really nice (can fix WB, add LUT's) and export them as ProRes but then it would crash after spitting out 3 or 4 .MOV's from MLRV (I already sent CR to @Baldand)

However, I've also tried this again with both MLRV 1.3.4 & 1.3.3 versions and get same results. (crashes after 3-4 .MOV 's)

Could this be related to your converted DNG's (Dual-ISO MLV) because not sure if I need to do this the other way around?  ( MLRV > cr2hdr-r > AE )

Thoughts?

Danne

Last I tried running dual iso converted DNG files it seemed to work fine in mlrv. Havnt done any big batches though. Can try at home.

DeafEyeJedi

Seems the brightness comes out well regarding ProRes from regular MLV's @ Dodgers Stadium.  8)

Currently I'm running a quick test before I go ahead and redo that large folder again from recent BTS. Just need to get a bunch of .MOV's rendered ( prefer to use LUT's within MLRV but the frequent crashing is driving me NUTS even on this modified MacMini which I don't understand either <-- I uninstalled CUDA/NIVIDA just last week: could this be related to such random issues @baldand? ) but as long as I get them done by end of this week on Friday then all will be fine.

Fun stuff!  :P

*EDIT*

I just swapped converted DNG's Folders out of PRORES folder and replaced w Original MLV's to start from scratch again because it wouldn't run it for some reason the other way around.

I plan on deleting the DNG's after I get all the ProRes .MOV's rendered (I know it sounds dumb but seems to be the only way atm unless you could somehow provide an option to ONLY spit out ProRes without DNG's OR just have it run off the already converted DNG's to spit out ProRes as is? I know I could have used MLRV instead but it still crashes on me.. lol got too many Dual-ISO MLV's so I would still prefer your app) However, I can view DNG's in playback fine within AE, PP, FCPX but DR11 just lags so bad.

N/A

Awesome app, thanks for sharing. I noticed dcraw had been updated to 9.23, I've got my compiler finally working so I compiled the newest version for Mac.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0Yw9C0TiMN_UjBCaVdVWGh0emc/view?usp=sharing
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

DeafEyeJedi

Danne

Thanks N/A. I,ll update if it doesn,t give me that greenish picture I got from another compile :).

Havn,t included an option for DNG to PorRes but could probably be done Deafeye.

DeafEyeJedi

Nice. So should I just let it continue and do its thing all day, possible overnight again?

Hope for good things to come in the AM... ha!

Thanks again, D.

Danne

Sure, why not :). Let,s hope for the best. Many things can happen. Fingers crossed.

N/A

Quote from: Danne on February 09, 2015, 11:01:00 PM
Thanks N/A. I,ll update if it doesn,t give me that greenish picture I got from another compile :).

Lol I hope not, no warnings or errors when I compiled so I think we're safe
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: Danne on February 09, 2015, 11:24:07 PM
Sure, why not :). Let,s hope for the best. Many things can happen. Fingers crossed.

Deleted the 260 GB worth of previously converted DNG's to free up space on my eHD because I did the math and it wouldn't be enough to double the space with the newly converted combined with the old so I didn't want to chance it.   ;D

Quote from: N/A on February 09, 2015, 11:48:15 PM
Lol I hope not, no warnings or errors when I compiled so I think we're safe

Sounds good!

DeafEyeJedi

FYI regarding 2.1 update -- it goes through all RAW files just fine with ProRes...

As for MLV -- it stops after each ProRes renders meaning I would have to be on the look out and manually restart your app after each MLV files.

In case you were curious...

Danne

Crap. Multiple MLV files. One of the few scenarios I missed to check.
Updated the 2.1 link with this link.
cr2hdr-r 2.1
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4tCJMlOYfircDVWZGZMZ1FOQ3M/view?usp=sharing

Should work better now. Please report if other things are screwy. Could be sound , aspect ratio, etc since there are several alternative transcoding alternatives in the script.

DeafEyeJedi

*Feedbacks Regarding 2.1*

Dual-ISO MLV seems to be spitting out 2-3+ stops OE .mov's within PRORES.

Regular MLV PRORES .mov's are fine atm.

https://vimeo.com/119210801

Question -- is it correct that your app produces 422 HQ ProRes .mov's whereas MLRV does 4444 ProRes or no?

*EDIT*

Forgot to mention that two footage I'm comparing this with in this clip (lower right) is an actual .MOV file directly from MLRV 1.4.3 which used converted Dual-ISO DNG's made from your app in case you were wondering.

Danne

Changed the download link again. Will check your bug later.
Thanks

Regarding Dual iso, I overeposure 20+ in dcraw. Gotta find some other way to handle those files to get a flat look. If I,m leaving them they are really, really dark so don,t know if ProRes 10bit would pick up the dynamic range coming out that way.