RawMagic stops exporting at 6625 frames (4mins) Don't Delete your .MLVs !!

Started by bigtimemotionmedia, October 01, 2014, 01:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigtimemotionmedia

Don't delete your .mlv files!!!

After shooting for 3 days and returning to my edit suite, I started noticing a problem with my footage. Audio was out of sync, and scrambled (required some hands on editing to re-arrange) and anything recorded past ~4mins (6625 frames) had disappeared!

I was able to narrow it down to Raw Magic 1.2.2. (MacbookPro Retina mid 2012 and MacPro late 2013)

Using MLRawViewer I was able to extract all the frames past the 4 minute mark with audio.

I'm shooting on Canon 5dMK3 fw1.2.3  (Aug 7 ML Build)
http://www.cinema5d.com/guide-raw-on-a-5d-mark-iii-magic-lantern/

I hope nobody gets burned with this... I almost did!

TEST your full workflow!!!!!

Thanks,

Patrick

dmilligan

There are other reasons you shouldn't be using RAWMagic anyway.

Shameless plug: if you use MLVFS you don't need to delete your original .MLVs at all or spend any time waiting for CDNGs to be converted, CDNGs are generated from the MLV on the fly in a virtual file system (it works like mounting a disk image).

bigtimemotionmedia

Every time I mount a .mlv does it show up as a drive?  what If I have 50+ .mlv files?

won't that get messy?

dmilligan

You don't have to mount individual MLVs (except on the Pismo Windows version, but since you mentioned RawMagic I assumed you were on a mac). You can mount a directory that contains MLVs (in any sort of directory structure you like), and the mounted folder you select will appear to have the same structure, except instead of seeing your MLV files, they will be directories containing CDNG sequences.

So just mount some directory where you keep all your MLVs, then you only need to start MLVFS once, and there will only be one mount point.

bigtimemotionmedia

I tried that. but it doesn't appear to be working on my computer. the folder/drive appears and the little wheel shows as if it's populating in the finder window but after a while it just dissappears and the mount goes away. :(

couple quick questions (thanks for taking the time btw)

a)How will this affect my workflow with Resolve? --I will need to mount folder containing .mlv files before I open project?

b)If i mount a folder containing multiple folders containing .mlv files, is the folder structure maintained?

dmilligan

Sounds like perhaps the program is crashing. What version of OS X are you running?

a) yes

b) yes

Thomas Worth

Quote from: bigtimemotionmedia on October 01, 2014, 01:30:20 PM
I was able to narrow it down to Raw Magic 1.2.2. (MacbookPro Retina mid 2012 and MacPro late 2013)
Patrick, this should obviously not be happening. If you wouldn't mind contacting me directly, I'd like your help to get this resolved.

dmilligan

Try the latest version. If you still have issues, see if you can narrow it down, perhaps it's a specific MLV file that's causing it. Also, it will be helpful you can describe exactly what happens when it doesn't work. If none of that works, I can make you a version that logs errors and such to a file so we can figure out what's going on.